What I have been doing. Thanks to all of you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordtruckf100

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I started reading info on this site about 12 months ago. Bought a decent saw
(don't laugh)and got to it. I built a homemade alaskan style mill and mounted
it to a Poulan Pro 375 w/ a 24" bar. Bought a ripping chain from Bailey's and
started first on a maple which was about 14". Then ripped a 14" White Oak
and made a nice 6x6 -12' beam for my sons swing set. This past week I cut
down a nice red cedar ( wrapped in Poison Oak - I paying for that ) about
22" in diameter. I didn't get any pictures of the tree or milling pictures. I'll
try to get some soon. But I did take a few pictures of some boards I milled
up with my small setup. And my homemade alaskan mill/saw. I also included
a picture of what I've done with some milled red cedar. I didn't mill the cedar
for the chair but I have to repay a guy with some of the lumber I am milling.
It's kind of the same thing. So here it is. I would like to say, Thanks to all
of you and this website. I wouldn't have been able to do this without this
info. Thanks. I always enjoy looking at the posts here. Later,
Duane in VA.

way to go man! proof you dont need to break the bank to get r done

that chair is great!

awesome pictures

Craig

great job duane... I love when I see milled wood and then the finished product in a post. Thanks for posting all those pics. btw, nice job on the homegrown mill. Cedar dries really quick in the summer time. I've had milled 5/4 dry in less than a month.

Eastern US. Red Cedar.

Guday mate Can ya tell me what sort of timber that is , looks a lot like some sort of cypress , you made a beautiful chair out of it

Hi Matildasmate, Thanks for the comments. The timber is what we call US Eastern Red Cedar. It's an evergreen in the Cypress family. It has a pyramid shape with prickaly needle like leaves. You see them in fence rows and edges of tree lines. The lumber is redish with lots of knots and has a very aromatic pleasing smell. It is a very weather proof wood which holds up well for barn poles, fence posts, shingles, siding, outdoor funiture, etc... You usually don't see them very large. A large one wood be 50-60 feet and about 24" across the base. Most of the large ones were used up to make pencils. It has lots of limbs. Hence, lots of knots. It's hard to get really good defect free lumber from eastern red cedar. When using it to make furniture, I'm a little picky, so I end up using the better parts of a board, which increases waste to make a nice piece of furniture. But, it makes some very beautiful furniture. Especially with a clear gloss urethane finish which really brings out the beauty of the grain and detail of the wood. Red Cedar wood has lots of unique character. I don't use any stain. It will darken some with a finish. People also use it to line closets for the pleasant aroma it produces. I included a picture. Hope this
helps some. Later, Duane in VA.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice job....do you use the same saw to cut the tree down? How easy is it to remove your mill?
My first saw was a Poulan....they will hold up for awhile to heavy use.....no worse than any of the low end brand name saws....maybe even better than some of them.

Hi Matildasmate, Thanks for the comments. The timber is what we call US Eastern Red Cedar. It's an evergreen in the Cypress family. It has a pyramid shape with prickly needle like leaves. You see them in fence rows and edges of tree lines. The lumber is reddish with lots of knots and has a very aromatic pleasing smell. It is a very weather proof wood which holds up well for barn poles, fence posts, shingles, siding, outdoor furniture, etc... You usually don't see them very large. A large one wood be 50-60 feet and about 24" across the base. Most of the large ones were used up to make pencils. It has lots of limbs. Hence, lots of knots. It's hard to get really good defect free lumber from eastern red cedar. When using it to make furniture, I'm a little picky, so I end up using the better parts of a board, which increases waste to make a nice piece of furniture. But, it makes some very beautiful furniture. Especially with a clear gloss urethane finish which really brings out the beauty of the grain and detail of the wood. Red Cedar wood has lots of unique character. I don't use any stain. It will darken some with a finish. People also use it to line closets for the pleasant aroma it produces. I included a picture. Hope this
helps some. Later, Duane in VA.

attachment.php

Hi Duane Thanks for the info mate , excellent . Regards Manfred

Thanks. Loosen 4 bolts.

Nice job....do you use the same saw to cut the tree down? How easy is it to remove your mill?
My first saw was a Poulan....they will hold up for awhile to heavy use.....no worse than any of the low end brand name saws....maybe even better than some of them.

Thanks.
I haven't got into anything big (over 24") and yes I do use this saw to buck
up the log too. I've got a small Poulan Pro to do limbing. It only weighs about
12 lbs with bar and chain. It isn't soo hard on my back. To remove the saw
I just loosen 4 bolts ( 2 on each end ) then slide it out. It does take some
time to adjust it for the first cut on the top. Then I use a device similar to
the mini mill and slab off the sides then adjust the Alaskan style mill back to
my board thickness and go at it. I can see the big advantages to the Alaskan
mill and will purchase one as soon as funds will allow. I bought a 066 but I
need a bar, chain and sprocket for it. More money. It cuts fairly fast in smaller
stuff. 8-12" board width. Thanks Duane in VA.

Up here in Ontario our "Red cedar" is actually juniper

Looks the same stuff as your chair is made of

Back