What I learned today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well it's been a few sweet weeks of recuperating from the last Operation: Firewood Backache and me and my partner got to bucking the logs to length.

All chains sharpened, saw cleaned and talked into thinking like a pro 60cc rather than the 45cc
HO OleoMac it is (coaching is cool), 4yo kid got his plastic chainsaw (and file) - ready.

At 8am we were making chips and noise, wake up neighbors!
A few fuel tanks later I thought I'd change the chain instead of touching it up again, so I got the air filter a good cleaning while the bar cooled down and changed to the almost new carlton,
that got the saw bogging down when we got back to cutting. Hey!
A-ha! Yes, thank you, It was too much lowering of the depth thingies. Yes I know and I will get me a filing kit with the depth gauge.
Change the chain to Almost Filed To Sweet Lil Triangles #2 chain. A gonner but cuts fast...
Until it started jamming somewhere in the saw, engine trying but can't spin it!
Sprocket is, well, if it was planet earth you'd see the molten rock under the landmass.

But I never changed one!! Cold sweat!!
Youtube. Changing the sprocket on a chainsaw. So here's the professionals from lil' red barn saw shop who make great lil vids for saw maintenance - for people with exotic hardware that's so not in my tool shed I can't even explain, so here is this slower-paced dude who shoves a rope into the cylinder to stop the piston - That's my guy there!!
Got some black grease from the neighbor and found my new sprocket.
Got the old sprocket aka "Trenches" out, got the new one from Bailey's (Yes! They actually shipped to Israel! Whoa, a big hand there Bailey's !! :clap::clap::clap: ) on the saw and when I screw the clutch back on and tighten it, the pull cord says bye-bye! to the handle and snakes into the crevices of the wrong side of the saw - the side I shamefully admit to have never opened.
So yes - I got it fixed, yes it was easy, but then saw the spark plug connector tore off the wire when I pulled it off.
No soldering iron, so I just tighten a bit of wire around the back of the springy end of the connector and taped it generously - I'm not a cheap bastard.

that was - youtube included - a bit over an hour.

Went on cutting until 4:30pm - got 2/3 of the pile done cut - still has to be split.
Got to have me that fiskars, man.

Lessons:
Invest in a good filing kit and soldering iron
Don't wait until the manufacturer can't recognize the part before replacing
Have spares. You live an hour drive from nearest shop
Youtube can save your back end.
don't be afraid of taking your saw apart a little bit further than what you did last time. Well, until maybe when you're left with extra bolts that don't seem to fit anywhere.
Nothing feels good like when your saw cuts great again!!

Have a great weekend guys, thanks for reading my ramblings (-:
SA

Latest posts

Back