What in the world is this???!!! MS661 related.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the cylinder off a MS661R yesterday in order to port it. What I found is unlike anything I've ever found in a saw before. Look what was in the intake boot! Talk about impeding air flow!!! This saw has been used, and surprisingly didn't run that bad, according to the owner. I sure would love to know what they are and how/why the got in there!
20150306_155935_resized-L.jpg

20150306_160317_resized-L.jpg

Two large rubber "washers" where stacked on top of each other, slightly folded, and tucked into the intake boot.
20150306_160444_resized-L.jpg

20150306_160457_resized-L.jpg

I'm guessing those parts got mixed in with the intake boots and got lodged in that boot. Then made it through the process without being seen.
Two of them? Stacked neatly on top of each other? Then folded and tucked in the boot? Just sayin', lol. I can't imagine it being done on purpose, but wow, is this odd!

They appear to be molded. Were they positioned in the bellows of the intake manifold? If they were it may be something to reduce the power to through CA emissions requirements.

They appear to be molded. Were they positioned in the bellows of the intake manifold? If they were it may be something to reduce the power to through CA emissions requirements.
Actually it made the emissions worse...bad carbon fouling. I doubt they got there on purpose. Saw bogged in medium wood with 28 but ran ok with the 42, go figure. Sure glad I sent it out :p

Actually it made the emissions worse...bad carbon fouling. I doubt they got there on purpose. Saw bogged in medium wood with 28 but ran ok with the 42, go figure. Sure glad I sent it out :p
I think that had more to do with the oil you were using. This was the hardest carbon I've ever seen. IIRC, Klotz Super Techniplate is known to carbon up a saw. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

20150306_160027_resized-L.jpg

Klotz R50 made my saw look terrible after only a few tanks. I don't think we run our saws hard enough compared to motocross bikes.

Latest posts

Back