What is an accident?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I guess in Jersey you don't care?
Jeff
I knew you would not take this serious, that's ok.
Jeff

Jeff really we chip up people all the time here , if they break an ankle or get stung they go for a dirt nap plain and simple , just like race horse ya break a leg than its off to the glue factory ...PS I'd chip you up for starting this thread .....

I would say that the climber being stung by bees is an accident if the climber had done a thorough tree inspection prior to climbing and didn't see anything. I define an accident as something that happens if all the precautions are taken, eg the pine cones are raked.

We work in a risky business. The key is to identify the risks and take the necessary precautions to reduce the risks to acceptable levels.

To me that is the role of safety meetings, to identify to the crew the risks in this business, eg climbing, driving, equipment, work environment (heat/cold) etc, and outline the precautions on how to reduce the risks.

I would say that the climber being stung by bees is an accident if the climber had done a thorough tree inspection prior to climbing and didn't see anything. I define an accident as something that happens if all the precautions are taken, eg the pine cones are raked.

We work in a risky business. The key is to identify the risks and take the necessary precautions to reduce the risks to acceptable levels.

To me that is the role of safety meetings, to identify to the crew the risks in this business, eg climbing, driving, equipment, work environment (heat/cold) etc, and outline the precautions on how to reduce the risks.

Finally, thanks for getting the topic.
Jeff :)

on raking pine cones...

Very early in my career, I watched a 8" round stub, maybe 6" long, that the whipper chipper had kicked out, fly past the foreman and GF's heads, over the chipper and go bong (HARD) into the bucket chip box. Someone had pulled the F 800 up to chip some more, and the front tire hit perfect like a wheel chock on that piece, popping the wood out of the bark, and sending it flying like a watermelon seed when you shoot it out of your fingers. I have no doubt one of those guys was inches from death or serious disability that day.

I remember thinking, who would have seen that one coming.

Interesting topic Jeff.

My first instinct was all the scenarios were preventable but after reading BCWestcoast's reply I think bees flying in to a tree in flower rather than the hive you didnt see when doing the VTA is a fair description of accident.

My opinion, on the whole, is any incident that could reasonably have been avoided is NOT an accident. The key of course is "reasonably". I am not going to advocate body armour and bubblewrap any time soon. :clap:

On the topic of accidents. I once dropped a stick and it hit a stump on top of which was a wedge I cut from a previous drop. It shot the wedge 75', hit the side of a house next door and put a hole in the vinyl siding. Bummer. Couldn't do that again if I tried..... Mike

Very early in my career, I watched a 8" round stub, maybe 6" long, that the whipper chipper had kicked out, fly past the foreman and GF's heads, over the chipper and go bong (HARD) into the bucket chip box. Someone had pulled the F 800 up to chip some more, and the front tire hit perfect like a wheel chock on that piece, popping the wood out of the bark, and sending it flying like a watermelon seed when you shoot it out of your fingers. I have no doubt one of those guys was inches from death or serious disability that day.

I remember thinking, who would have seen that one coming.

'Chuck and Duck' is not part of the senario, as I hate them! Sometimes. On palm's , podo's, coral's, etc, then they are great. Palm and Morbark- not that great.

"You can outwit the ordinary fool but the extraordinary fool will always find a way."

I worked as the safety guy in a warehouse for several years having the crew sign off on safety stuff and training daily. When they announced our locations closure safety took a backseat. Some of the guys thought that by not wearing their harness and going up in the pick truck they could "thumb" their noses at their circumstances. As if falling to certain death or paralysis was a way to stick it to the company.

we had a guy go through a shredder about 10 years ago in Pontiac Michigan. The company that owned the business was fined because he didn't have a hard hat on at the time. WTF? :bang::bang:

Perhaps he was sucked out from under his hard hat...like that was going to save him...I don't think so...:popcorn:

Our government at work....it sucks:buttkick:

People when we get up in the morning take a look in the mirror. That is the person who is responsible for your safety. Talk to him and do your best. Nature will sort it out. Don't do stupid things.

Sorry for your guy. But, that was not an accident.
Jeff

Interesting topic Jeff.

My first instinct was all the scenarios were preventable but after reading BCWestcoast's reply I think bees flying in to a tree in flower rather than the hive you didnt see when doing the VTA is a fair description of accident.

My opinion, on the whole, is any incident that could reasonably have been avoided is NOT an accident. The key of course is "reasonably". I am not going to advocate body armour and bubblewrap any time soon. :clap:

Yeah, I know we can pick this apart, but still, Hey, where ya been?

In all seriousness, I worry all day. My guys are great but I want them to be safe. If you had to make (X )amout of $ a day, this is an important topic.

The answer is-
There is no such thing as an accident.
If you realize this, then there are no excuses.
Each one of the senarios should of been a safety meeting with a sign in sheet. No-one should work alone, and accidents are a failure to applying safe work practices.
Sorry I got serious, Guys.

False there is accidents IE Jeffy pulls in to look over a job to give and estimate. He exits the pickup puts on his safety glasses,hardhat as anyone in his position does. He is doing just fine and has looked over the job and is returning to his pickup. It is early summer and a sweetgum limb loaded with balls lets loose striking him in his head. That is an accident.

Last edited:
False there is accidents IE Jeffy pull in to look over a job to give and estimate. He exits the pickup puts on his safety glasses,hardhat as anyone in his position does. He is doing just fine and has looked over the job and is returning to his pickup. It is early summer and a sweetgum limb loaded with balls lets loose striking him in his head. That is an accident.

I am in a fairly good mood, Rope, I am hoping you are joking.

Another one, Jeffy gets tired of the office one day and decides to go aloft. He shoots a beaner and sets rope. He then hooks up to the raptor and takes the elevator up to do a prune. He is working away doing excellent pruning and low and behold a 747 jet airliner crashes into his tree:monkey: Is that not an accident?

Another one, Jeffy gets tired of the office one day and decides to go aloft. He shoots a beaner and sets rope. He then hooks up to the raptor and takes the elevator up to do a prune. He is working away doing excellent pruning and low and behold a 747 jet airliner crashes into his tree:monkey: Is that not an accident?

Rope, you are confusing this topic with 'irony'.

Latest posts

Back