What is an easy resolution for accepting credit cards on the spot???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not trying to avoid the tax man. I started the cash discount because alot of customers ask for it just like a senior discount. Plus i don't like getting bad checks, maybe you don't have to worry about that up there where your at. Talking about the terms and payment is as important as talking about what limbs your are trimming or what trees you are removing, that way everyone knows what the other expects. I wound't call it being skummy but beaing a good businessman. I deal with a handshake even though alot if people make customers sign contracts. To each his own. If you take credit cards but you have to take the number home, what's happens when its a bad card or whatnot.

I was using the quick books deal, but they were charging me a monthly, whether I used the service or not, then slamming a % on top of each charge, then they would hold the money for a few days before it posted. I cancelled it and no longer take the card. I have had 1 customer in the last 3 years since back from USMC pull out a card. Not worth the cost IMO. I am betting that soon there will be a smartphone app you can get, that scans the card and drops the money straight in the bank, avoiding all this other BS,have not seen it yet tho.

I was using the quick books deal, but they were charging me a monthly, whether I used the service or not, then slamming a % on top of each charge, then they would hold the money for a few days before it posted. I cancelled it and no longer take the card. I have had 1 customer in the last 3 years since back from USMC pull out a card. Not worth the cost IMO. I am betting that soon there will be a smartphone app you can get, that scans the card and drops the money straight in the bank, avoiding all this other BS,have not seen it yet tho.

I'm not sure if the money's immediately deposited but that's what I was looking into. An app for my droid that I could scan the card and be done with it. I'll probably get hooked up in the near future but like I said, do not plan on advertising the fact that I can take cc's. Use it only for emergency type deals.

If you take credit cards but you have to take the number home, what's happens when its a bad card or whatnot.

I think the bad credit card thing may be a rare incident based on what other contractors speak of in large metropolitan areas. I know that if I get home, and the card numbers are bad, I can just get in touch with the customer to get another number. If I find out they do not after all have the funds to pay, I can put use the mechanics lien on their property. I have heard this is when they all of a sudden have found the money to pay their bill.

I'm certain now that folks "in between" metropolitan areas aren't as likely to use credit cards on their tree services. It may be more likely to occur in the metropolitan area. I'm doing a lot more advertising now, and I'm going to advertise the credit card option to see if that makes any difference in this metropolitan area of 8 million. I believe it will be worth it since the word is that if contractors in general didn't accept credit cards, they would be out of a lot of money even though they pay $30k to $75k in CC service fees each year.

It's worth a try. It's kind of like advertising. You don't know which publications are worth anything until you put a little money and effort into it.

I believe the merchant agreement between the card company and the business states the business is not to charge an additional fee for taking a credit card.

I am sure big corporations like kmart, walmart, sears, mark there products up to cover the cost of most people paying with credit cards they just dont tell you that they are doing it.

I am sure big corporations like kmart, walmart, sears, mark there products up to cover the cost of most people paying with credit cards they just dont tell you that they are doing it.

Canadian Tire, a large auto parts/outdoor/housewares retailer gives back about .5% in 'Canadian Tire money' for every cash or debit transaction. The Cdn Tire money is redeemable in the store at par. You don't get if you use a credit card. It would be one way of giving a cash discount. Taking that further, you could give a coupon for future work if paid by cash/cheque.

Chipped debit/credit cards will be the primary payment method in the near future IMHO. When I was in Britain a couple of years ago, you couldn't buy gas without a chip card (pumps were all automated with no attendants). Restaurants already have chip reader machines that can go to tables, so I expect that this will be the technology that is used in the future.

Because we have more restrictive banking laws in Canada (and only 7 banks), I see this being implemented here much sooner than the US.

I never thought about that. What a good way to get future work. Give a coupon for future work, so either they will use it or maybe even give it to a friend.

I've used square-up for a completely non-tree related business.

So far so go.
No up front cost,
takes about 3 days to get up and running (have to wait a little for your account to be verified)
no monthly fee,
no minimum usage

$0.15 a transaction plus 2.75% if you swipe the card (swiper-thingy is free...need a smart phone though) and 3.25% if punch the number in by hand.

Only down side I've seen so far is you need to be in an area your phone can get internet. (I work in the boonies sometimes.)

They skim a little more off the top...but the no monthly fee and the no minimum usage is a HUGE plus for me and offsets the slightly higher %s.

I've used square-up for a completely non-tree related business.

So far so go.
No up front cost,
takes about 3 days to get up and running (have to wait a little for your account to be verified)
no monthly fee,
no minimum usage

$0.15 a transaction plus 2.75% if you swipe the card (swiper-thingy is free...need a smart phone though) and 3.25% if punch the number in by hand.

Only down side I've seen so far is you need to be in an area your phone can get internet. (I work in the boonies sometimes.)

They skim a little more off the top...but the no monthly fee and the no minimum usage is a HUGE plus for me and offsets the slightly higher %s.

I hate that 2 and 3% charge. It just seems like I'm setting money on fire.

I think you may be wrong on the charges with Square.

https://squareup.com/pricing

We have been using Square for several months right now and we have been very happy with it. It is very easy, convienent, and cheap. We have had different merchant account services and this one works best for us on all fronts.

I use paypal.

There are no monthly fees, no fees to transfer money out of the account, and a 2.2% fee on all transactions.

You just email a customer an invoice from your email address and they can pay online with a paypal account, or if the don't have one they can simply type in their credit card (including amex) or bank acct and routing #.

It is easy and the cheapest way I have found to accept credit cards. I have used a phone swiping service with my android and through a card scanner attached to the computer in my truck. Both of those services had monthly fees, high upfront costs to purchase the scanners, an extra monthly fee for amex, and worst of all hidden fees which pissed me off so much I got rid of them both.

That square up looks like a decent service though. Paypal is still cheaper.

-Keith

I need to do something different. I have a merchant account now, just switched a couple years ago from another comany I should have held on to. This new company is banging me for different fees almost monthly and different requirements coming up all the time. I just don't want it to look bad to the customers with changing payment methods and bank notices to them all the time. If it was just here and there payments that wouldn't be a big deal but I have contracts that get charged monthly, sending them a monthly invoice where they have to take an extra step won't work.

I use paypal.

There are no monthly fees, no fees to transfer money out of the account, and a 2.2% fee on all transactions.

You just email a customer an invoice from your email address and they can pay online with a paypal account, or if the don't have one they can simply type in their credit card (including amex) or bank acct and routing #.

It is easy and the cheapest way I have found to accept credit cards. I have used a phone swiping service with my android and through a card scanner attached to the computer in my truck. Both of those services had monthly fees, high upfront costs to purchase the scanners, an extra monthly fee for amex, and worst of all hidden fees which pissed me off so much I got rid of them both.

That square up looks like a decent service though. Paypal is still cheaper.

-Keith

Is it pretty easy to set up? This I am interested in, like all the rest, I want to take them, but it is a pain. Never messed with paypal, sounds good, any pointers!

I checked out pay pal first, and I found out if you register with a business name they charge you a monthly fee and a percentage just like all the other credit card companys. Unless this has changed. I would imagine Patriottree probably has it his pay pal account registered to his personal name and not a business name.

Is it pretty easy to set up? This I am interested in, like all the rest, I want to take them, but it is a pain. Never messed with paypal, sounds good, any pointers!

I know it has been a while but have you gotten set up with them yet?

It is super easy to set up. I suggest calling them to set up a business account instead of doing it online so you can make sure it is right. Don't let them sell you on any of the extra paid addons, ie a card swiper for your phone. They are unnecessary, the free invoicing service is all you need. Make sure you set up your invoice real nice with your logo and everything on it so the customers don't feel that it is shady. Also I include my mailing address on the invoice and let the customer know that if they don't want to enter their credit card info they can mail a check.

One thing to keep in mind is that though it is free to do it does take a few days for the money to transfer into your bank account. So if you run your business on a real tight budget you will have to plan for that. Also for larger payments (usually over 1000) paypal sometimes "verifies the transaction" which can take a day or two. So, sometimes it takes up to five days to get your money. I would say that is the biggest downfall to paypal but to me it is easy to work around.

I have been using paypal for about a year. Most customers are super impressed by the efficiency of invoicing and the ease and convenience for them. I have had one customer who thinks paypal is evil and is stealing peoples financial info.... he mailed in a check.

We have been doing a lot of storm work lately and I have stolen many a job from competitors because I take credit cards and they don't...... just saying

****EDIT I forgot to mention, make sure you write somewhere on the invoice that the customer does not need a paypal account and to click the "don't have a paypal account" link to pay without one. When they initially click on the link to pay it takes them to a paypal login screen and it could confuse customers into thinking they need to set up and account.

Last edited:
I checked out pay pal first, and I found out if you register with a business name they charge you a monthly fee and a percentage just like all the other credit card companys. Unless this has changed. I would imagine Patriottree probably has it his pay pal account registered to his personal name and not a business name.

Hmm....
I am definitely registered as a business with a merchant account. Monthly fees only apply if you are using more than just the invoicing service. If you want to be able to swipe cards on the spot then you will have to pay a monthly fee. Personally I think it is way easier to just email because often the customer is not there when we do the job, or I am not there to collect after the guys finish cleanup.

Here is a link to the website payments standard, what I have
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-standard-overview

As long as you do over 10000 a month in transactions it is only 2.2% and even if you do way less the max is 2.9%. No monthly payments

Latest posts

Back