what is gained by a muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatsink

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My wife says I'm having to much fun talking to you guys. Whats that mean:confused: Anyway, I own a Husky 385xp and a 346xp. I love the 346xp, Its light, don't really use to much fuel, and cuts like a male beaver who's been shut out of his hut! My 385xp is a different story. It has a 36" bar with a 3/8" chisle chain. If I dig in with the dogs, (even the slightest pressure ) the saw bogs and stops the chain. The chain has been hand sharpend about
6 times, and it cuts straight. Filter is new. gas/oil is 40:1 mix. For $1100.00 I thought this saw would have more power than what its showing.I purchased it new 4 years ago. Price included : saw, 36"bar & chain, 24"bar & chain, gallon of bar oil, 6 small bottles oil mix, file &jig, and a new pair of gloves!
Does anyone thing a muffler mod would help? Saw runs like hell with the 24"
bar!

my 385 has 2 half inch pipes plus the factory opening. its just as if not faster than my 066. both wearing the same bar length 24" normally. i havent tried a bigger bar on the 385 though. i have a 36" for the 066.

i added a 1/2 inch pipe to my 346 and removed the screen in the factory opening.

im very happy with the results on both saws.

that's a bit much bar for an 85cc saw.
i wouldn't do it.
you should of went with a 395 or 3120.push the high 90-100cc for them bar lengths.that's allot of wood.you need some serious grunt to cut like you mean it when using long bars.
don't you have oiling problems trying to run a 36" on the 385 anyway?
did a husky dealer sell you this bar with this saw 4 yrs ago?

Hello ARBORIST,
Yes , a dealer sold me both saws. I have the oiler set on high. I go through about 1tank of oil per tank of gas. That's not to say it's getting enough oil though. I had at one time thought my problem might have been along those lines.

i wouldn't do it.
you should of went with a 395 or 3120.push the high 90-100cc for them bar lengths.that's allot of wood.you need some serious grunt to cut like you mean it when using long bars.

i have a 970 oly,that i rebuilt. i have a 36 bar,with carlton full chisel. and can bury it in oak, and it still keeps hummin, not at full speed, but not much off top either--and no- i aint modified it at all---dead stock.

My wife says I'm having to much fun talking to you guys. Whats that mean:confused: Anyway, I own a Husky 385xp and a 346xp. I love the 346xp, Its light, don't really use to much fuel, and cuts like a male beaver who's been shut out of his hut! My 385xp is a different story. It has a 36" bar with a 3/8" chisle chain. If I dig in with the dogs, (even the slightest pressure ) the saw bogs and stops the chain. The chain has been hand sharpend about
6 times, and it cuts straight. Filter is new. gas/oil is 40:1 mix. For $1100.00 I thought this saw would have more power than what its showing.I purchased it new 4 years ago. Price included : saw, 36"bar & chain, 24"bar & chain, gallon of bar oil, 6 small bottles oil mix, file &jig, and a new pair of gloves!
Does anyone thing a muffler mod would help? Saw runs like hell with the 24"
bar!
what drive sprocket, if it an 8 maybe you need a 7

Hello ARBORIST,
Yes , a dealer sold me both saws. I have the oiler set on high. I go through about 1tank of oil per tank of gas. That's not to say it's getting enough oil though. I had at one time thought my problem might have been along those lines.

Alright, this is a pretty common problem, and I'm surprised nobody said it yet. Pull the fuel line and filter and replace them, I'd be more than willing to bet your fuel line is cracked. Husky's suck with that. If you really want to fix it for good, go down to a hardware store and buy a matching size hose in Viton (it'll look like a clearish yellow). Viton doesn't disintegrate like the natural rubber does when exposed to ethanol.

what drive sprocket, if it an 8 maybe you need a 7

Yup!

And that chain on the 36" bar better be full skip, or you can expect some clearance issues and bogging on BIG stuff.

As stated above, check your fuel line as well.
They do that, and it is a random thing after the first year or so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Alright, this is a pretty common problem, and I'm surprised nobody said it yet. Pull the fuel line and filter and replace them, I'd be more than willing to bet your fuel line is cracked. Husky's suck with that. If you really want to fix it for good, go down to a hardware store and buy a matching size hose in Viton (it'll look like a clearish yellow). Viton doesn't disintegrate like the natural rubber does when exposed to ethanol.

I'll be a son-of- a-gun! when I fueled up the saw today, I noticed I had a fuel
leak back by the carb. I didn't have time to check it out because I was running out of daylight. It sounds like you fella's may have solved my saw power problem!:cheers: I can't thank you all enough for all the feed back!!
I'll get back with ya'll tomorrow and let you know the results.

i wouldn't do it.

my 064 is in that CC range and it will pull the 36 burried in black oak just fine. full skip of coarse.

Latest posts

Back