What is the best cheap 40cc saw out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldclass23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a homelite 240 about 8 yrs ago to cut up some junk wood out back. I have experienced some problems w/it and i keep hearin how they arent that good of a saw, so im just wonderin what your opinions are for the best...but cheap 40cc saw out there is?

"best" and "cheap" usually dont go in the same sentence.

however, i would probably throw the modern poulan pros - specifically the 4620 as a 'decent' cheap saw. its by no means a professional grade saw, but it is actually not nearly as bad as you might think. outfitted with a smaller bar & chain (they come with a 20") they are quite decent little limbers & have more grunt than I ever expected. I have seen them go for about $100 new, on ebay.

Define "best". It would seem to me that for this thread best would be: starts, idles, oils, runs even with infrequent use, is safe, and does not vibrate so bad as to cause health problems. If power is really all that important, step up to something not so cheap.
So, for under 50cc and low cost Echo and Hitachi-tanaka come to my mind.

Ask a subjective question and you will get loads of subjective answers. Without a clear indication of what you want this whole exercise is decidedly pointless.

A different homelite

From everything I have read on this site since I have been here..another homelite, the super ez automatic.

With that said, I bought a cheap husky some years back, a 137 and I have stomped and romped that thing through a ton of stuff. Just ran it and ran it and ran it, still works fine. It is a 36 cc and from day one I treated it like a 50. You can cut an amazing amount of wood with it on a teeny tankful of mix and not much bar oil at all. Let me see..it has had two carb tunes in town where the saw wrench has a tach, on the second bar, and who knows how many used chains after I wore out the one that came with it. I just get cheap/free used safety chains and file the snot of them... And one drive sprocket and a clutch and some used oiler I pulled from a junker, that's it I think. I blow the airfilter out, it stays pretty clean anyway for some reason. I think cutting chips instead of dust helps there a lot on air filters...The original fuel filter is still working on it, mostly because I prefilter all my small engine fuel before I use it, with a filter funnel thing. Plus I go around and retighten all the various screws/bolts once in awhile.

On those little saws (any saw, but more with the smaller ones, because you really notice it fast with much less horsepower to fall back on) a real sharp chain with correctly lowered rakers makes all the difference in the world. Dull, no nads, you can stall it out with just a little leaning on it in the cut, sharp and keep the revs up and let it cut at its own speed, it keeps on chugging.

I bet the homelite you have will get back working real good with a little work though, try that first....

..unless you just really want a new saw and some encouragement to put you over the top..HEY, GO BUY A NEW SAW! hehehehehe

Husky refurbs online are a fairly good deal....as are the classifieds here on this site

That would have to be a Echo Cs400 with a muff modd, just over $200 off Ebay, overall quality is real good and they rip with a muff modd. I also have the Ryobi which has the split case Redmax motor which is good but the rest of the is built kind of cheap. Steve

I know i was very vague in the title..i just meant what saws have the least failures and have parts easy to come by. I knew homelite made a pretty decent saw..just couldnt remmeber what model it was..but it was mentioned above. Price wise would be anywheres around $100. I might be lookin at the wild thing..and just putting a new 16" bar on it. The only thing that makes me hesitant about it is finding parts. I already have an 026, so im just lookin for the best way to go and thanks for all the good replies guys.

husqy 435,445, echo 370, stihl 240, i hd a husqy 435 and after a muffler mod this thing RIPS. full chisel chain!:clap:

Latest posts

Back