What is the best quality starter rope for "bigger saws"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54stude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 066bb with about 155psi compression, and I keep breaking the starter ropes about 1" away from the pulley, but below the bushing in the starter cover so I have ruled that out. The rope is not too short either, there is no more room on the pulley for more rope. I am either pulling out too far, or the dealer might have an old roll of rope?

I can pull it over without the decomp button, so I usually don't bother pushing it in, but after 3 stock stihl starter ropes in the last year, I am wondering if there is a superior product out there. Husky, echo, baileys, etc?

Anyone have a recommendation here?

Best luck I have had is with the newer, Stihl elastostart, handle, and rope setup. We have only broke one on a 066, and that's been quite awhile ago, and it was worn.

I have a 066bb with about 155psi compression, and I keep breaking the starter ropes about 1" away from the pulley, but below the bushing in the starter cover so I have ruled that out. The rope is not too short either, there is no more room on the pulley for more rope. I am either pulling out too far, or the dealer might have an old roll of rope?

I can pull it over without the decomp button, so I usually don't bother pushing it in, but after 3 stock stihl starter ropes in the last year, I am wondering if there is a superior product out there. Husky, echo, baileys, etc?

I bought a roll of the Oergon 5.5 gauge rope from Bailey's and I now use it in anything that it will fit in. Sounds like your dealer is putting to small of rope on it because I've never had one of those break before it's time.

If you can find a source[ internet] for sailing dingy/yacht rigging rope, with a Dyneema/ Spectra core, I find that this is much stronger &lasts longer than usual starter cord of the same dia. Not sure if it is available in half mm sizes, but it is very pliable & I have found the next full mm size up works fine

I second the armor cord. Had same prob with my 064 with 066BB and no decomp. Switched to armor cord no issues since. I did crimp a split washer on the cord to keep the knot from pulling through the handle also.

Back