What is the difference (Stihl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, they are all basically the same saw with slight differences in the engine size. Early on some had a 42cc engine, the standard WoodBoss had about a 47 cc engine, and the WB Super had . . . I don't know . . . something slightly bigger than 47cc perhaps. Some of these other guys can tell you more specifics, and some of them will holler and cuss at you for not going through old threads to find the answer.

I asked recently what were the specific years of production for the 028 line, and no one gave an answer. My guess was 1970s through early 90s.

There are several older Stihl's that have a standard, a Super, and some have a Magnum model. They're largely the same (the 056 Mag cylinder bolt pattern is slightly different than the standard and Super) but with different displacements, via diffferent bores. Have you checked Mike Acres' site?

The Wood Boss is just a badge, just a marketing name. Several different Stihls have had the name Wood Boss or Farm Boss.

Jeff

I believe the 028 had a 42 and 44mm piston. The 028 Super and 028 Super WB had a 46mm piston.

The later 028's also had the capability to have side adjust chain tensioner.

Tom

Back