What is the perfect chainsaw for what "You" cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep the Echo Timberwolf on the truck for day to day branches etc. not because its the perfect saw. More because it's capable of most anything I need it to do and fit the budget. Not sexy, just a smooth, solid, fuel sipping performer. I'd like to have it ported but somehow it seems like it might lose points for quiet and fuel sipping. Two qualities I appreciate when running it on longer gigs.

That's a hard one but for 90% of the falling and bucking I do I still run my old 385 with a 32" to a 42" good weight and power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to say it was the Husqvarna 372XPW (71cc model). And for a very long time, it was. I haul it around in the woods all day, wearing a 28" bar, and it was smooth with plenty of power to handle trees 20-30" felling. It was, hands down, my favorite saw and was perfect for what I did.

And then the 390XPW arrived on scene. And it did everything the 372 did, but better. And it didn't weigh all that much more, handled a 32" bar better because I found a 32" bar was better, and I was mostly carrying the saw on a piece of equipment and not with my body.

And then I moved out of an area with a good Husqvarna a dealer presence. And if my saw isn't running because it's down, it's no good for what I cut. So I tried a Stihl MS441 and it was okay. And a Stihl MS660 and it was too heavy. And then I finally tried an MS461 and I can finally say it's perfect for what I do.

Latest posts

Back