What is this big bug/larve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this.
I was cleaning up a little today.
I found a piece of maple with some punky crap on one side.
This fat grub was in there.
I saw several others while I cut this wood up a couple weeks ago. they were frozen solid.
This guy is ALIVE.
P2150004.jpg

P2150001.jpg

Last edited:
I see those all the time in some of the scrounged wood I come up with. It is amazing how cold it can be outside and they still are moving around in the wood. They do eventually freeze when exposed to cold outside air, though. My jack russell just loves it when she gets to come out where I've been splitting wood with those in it. She cleans up all the little grubsicles. Gives her gas like nothing else, though...

Not sure where to put this.
I was cleaning up a little today.
I found a piece of maple with some punky crap on one side.
This fat grub was in there.
I saw several others while I cut this wood up a couple weeks ago. they were frozen solid.
This guy is ALIVE.
P2150004.jpg

P2150001.jpg

Looks like a beetle larva, but I have no idea what species...Would probably take a real Coleopterist to know...

Send it to one of your state University entomologists and they should id it for free. I have sent stuff in here in SD. We can take larvae or adults to the local state agriculture office and they send them in to be id'd. Put in in a small bottle of alcohol to preserve it.

We can take larvae or adults to the local state agriculture office and they send them in to be id'd. Put in in a small bottle of alcohol to preserve it.

Seems like a waste of whiskey to me.:laugh:

i have found them quite often. almost always in maple trees. i thought maybe they were cicada larvae.

thats very clearly a Coleoptera vulgaris. or commonly known as a "crotch kricket". try 2 avoid. :angry:

Cool Ray,
Thanks
I searched around, but a lot of beetle grubs look like it.

I am new to heating with wood, and am a little worried about bugs.
I can fit a couple cord in the basement. I would hate to get bugs in the hardwood floors or furniture.

Cool Ray,
Thanks
I searched around, but a lot of beetle grubs look like it.

I am new to heating with wood, and am a little worried about bugs.
I can fit a couple cord in the basement. I would hate to get bugs in the hardwood floors or furniture.

I don't think any beetles will give you trouble, but certain ants and termites might. Lots of scorpions in dead wood around here, but no worries for you. However, pretty much any dead wood is going to have arthropods of some sort, if they really "bug" you, maybe better leave the wood outside.

Thanks guys.
I may build a "wood room" with screened vents this summer.

Darn critters.

Latest posts

Back