What is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Another wood that i cant figure out what it is, smooth bark but very uneven surface.
42575d94-db1a-c4ff.jpg
42575d94-db38-3a10.jpg
42575d94-db74-fedb.jpg

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The only problem with it I know of is it never gets very big most is about 3"-4" and the biggest I have seen was around 16".

I dont know if that would necessarily be a bad thing. You dont have to split it then.:msp_thumbsup:

Isn't Ironwood waaay up there in teh BTU food chain? Like Hedge apple territory?

I dont know if that would necessarily be a bad thing. You dont have to split it then.:msp_thumbsup:

Isn't Ironwood waaay up there in teh BTU food chain? Like Hedge apple territory?

It all depends on how you scale it. I personally think it is very high.

Looks like Ironwood to me too. They used it back in the olden days for mallet heads, anything that needed to stand up to a lot of bashing. If left out in the weather after cutting it will rot rather more quickly than you'd expect. It burns pretty well, though. It likes to grow near water.

Blue beech, aka American hornbeam, aka muscle wood

Hold on there partner... Blue Beech? Yes... (Carpinus Caroliniana) Some do refer to it as "muscle wood" or "Ironwood" Bam!!! You got it!!! ~3,800 BTU

But...
Hop Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana), is also referred to as (Ironwood) ~4,200 BTU
Yet they are not the same tree.
It's bark looks like this:

attachment.php

Edit!!! Turkeyslayer is correct!!! Blue beech IS referred to as "American" Hornbeam...
Learn something new every day... Guess that's why they have scientific names...:help:

Last edited:
Back