What is with all the straight gassing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i see alot of people using 2 1/2 gallon cans. most oil mixes are rated for 1 gallon of gas. eventually you will put more than 2 gallons of gas in ,leading to slightly lean conditions, keep doing than and you will eventually toast a piston. be real careful when posting avout things you have NEVER done,cause before long you will be posting about where to get a good oem P/C.

I use a 2 1/2 gallon can! The neat thing is all the gas pumps around here mave this meter thingy on them and I can dispense exactly 1 or 2 gallons. Or I can put 3 - 1 gallon oil mixes in and fill the can and call it a little rich. But instead I do the math and dispense the exact ammount necesary to achieve the 40-1 ratio that I prefer to use!

I use a 2 1/2 gallon can! The neat thing is all the gas pumps around here mave this meter thingy on them and I can dispense exactly 1 or 2 gallons. Or I can put 3 - 1 gallon oil mixes in and fill the can and call it a little rich. But instead I do the math and dispense the exact ammount necesary to achieve the 40-1 ratio that I prefer to use!

congratulations.

The neat thing is all the gas pumps around here mave this meter thingy on them and I can dispense exactly 1 or 2 gallons.

And I thought that we were the only ones that had them. I was at my mother's house a couple of weeks ago and had to go down the road to get some gas. The owner inherited the station from his father (affectionately known as "Dump" and they have the old style non digital pumps. The rotary scale shows every 10 cents with a line in between to show the nickels. Wonder how many pennies he has made by rounding up?

how about the ones that pour from a five gallon to a 2.5 gallon can. dont remember seeing any comptuter controller measuring devices on those.

i see alot of people using 2 1/2 gallon cans. most oil mixes are rated for 1 gallon of gas. eventually you will put more than 2 gallons of gas in ,leading to slightly lean conditions, keep doing than and you will eventually toast a piston. be real careful when posting avout things you have NEVER done,cause before long you will be posting about where to get a good oem P/C.

The TRICK is to get the bottles of oil that are MADE to mix with 2 1/2 gal..
then fill the container up to the marked line.
so simple even "I" can do it !! :)

Did it once, 30 yrs back, to a Homelite 150. (Somehow forgot to add the oil to the chainsaw jug.) After a few minutes cutting in a big dead oak, the saw started to "lose power" for no apparent reason.
Msg. to self: "We have a problem. Stop engine and investigate."
Engine rapidly decelerates to a STOP. Reluctant to be cranked. Oops!
Pull plug and pour in a cc or so of bar oil; help it to get all about the piston. Engine can now be cranked. Dump fuel tank into jug and add oil.
Put plug back, and resume cutting. Whew! Dodged one there. :eek:

Some years later, boss told summer kid to take a Homelite XL-12 and remove a couple of large dying bushes. Kid comes to be in a bit asking "What does it mean if the saw's smoking all over and loses power?" Melted piston, trashed jug. Boss says "try Marvel Mystery Oil." Right. Order Homelite parts.
Still not sure if kid or boss were the most inept.

Tinted cs oil is great stuff- love the blue. Haven't found a 2-stroke that isn't happy with 50:1. You can get kinda anal about seeing that it's mixed.

I know that on construction jobs we have straight gassed more than one Stihl cutoff saw or quickie saw as we call them. Fortunately usually realized that it was straight gas by the next fill realizeing the color was gone. Must have been enough mix oil left in the tank to keep her going is all I can figure. Those one gallon bottles are just a suggestion on a jobsite it seems we go from 25:1 to 100:1 with every fill. Just add another bottle it will be fine then a little more gas yeah color is close. LOL Then the famous words of the person mixing the gas are usually muttered next "I ain't got a dime in it". I can't believe how much abuse those saws would take!

When I was a kid I was playing filling station, and I filled up the tank in my mom's Buick with the garden hose. It didn't go over too well.......

But I was only 4 years old.
I searched for my glasses all day. Had to pick up guests at Newark airport at 5. I was panicked. Looked everywhere. Cannot drive without them nor would I want to. Checked one last time in parents bedroom. Caught my image in their huge mirror and something looked odd. Twas my glasses. I'd been wearing them

I searched for my glasses all day. Had to pick up guests at Newark airport at 5. I was panicked. Looked everywhere. Cannot drive without them nor would I want to. Checked one last time in parents bedroom. Caught my image in their huge mirror and something looked odd. Twas my glasses. I'd been wearing them
Cool story bro

thumb_thats-nice-honey-memebase-thats-nice-honey-all-53351980.png

The most common excuse for a straight gas run is that cans of both mixed fuel and straight gas were brought to the work site. The cans look too much alike and somehow get mixed up. The 4-cycle engine, usually on the log splitter, runs fine on fuel from either can. The chain saw burns out on the straight gas.

The most common excuse for a straight gas run is that cans of both mixed fuel and straight gas were brought to the work site. The cans look too much alike and somehow get mixed up. The 4-cycle engine, usually on the log splitter, runs fine on fuel from either can. The chain saw burns out on the straight gas.
Had this happen last week at the shop. Customer brought in one of those engine kits to put on a bike, was a slow day so said sure we'll do it. Got it all together and sorted the carb out. Called the customer to tell him it was done. Everyone was interested in it so we all ran it around over the next few days. Customer came by to pick it up. Told him the mix ratio and that it had about half a tank in it. He said he was going to run tru-fuel in it so he didn't mess it up. Called about a week later and said it wouldn't run. Brought it back in, looked in the tank. No color to the fuel. Drained some out and sure looked like regular gas. Asked him to drop off the can of fuel he used to fill it. Yep tru-fuel, just the 4 stroke version. He thought they were all for 2 strokes. Lesson learned. New top end later he was back in business and now mixes his fuel.

I have a dedicated one gallon can that I mix my 2 stroke gas in. It's the one and only can I use for mixed gas. No gas goes in that can without 2 stroke oil and no 2 stroke motor is fueled with any other can. I only mix a gallon at a time and no 2 stroke tool is fueled from any other can. Never strait gassed anything 2 stroke. Pretty simple concept.

If you think straight gassed is bad, Im here to tell you that a 576XP will only run on diesel for a little while before melting down. Yeah, I had that happen with a dumbass on yard duty once. I built a fire before at the logyard before going to the woods to cut and pull one morning and after getting the fire going I set the diesel can way back off out of the way. After a few pulls to the yard I noticed aforementioned dumbass using a different saw to buck logs with. I stopped and asked him what happened to the other saw? He said it started smoking really bad and just quit. I asked him if he put diesel in it? NOPE, said he put gas like always. I asked him which can he used? He pointed right past the GAS can, up into the woods to the diesel can. I opened the gas tank and poured straight diesel on the fire. I actually made him pay for the new top end on that one.

Back