What is your BIG 3 in firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, serious answer this time. Based on what I can get my paws on here in Wis. or da U.P., it would be hard maple, yellow birch, and ironwood; and right behind that would be ash, elm, cherry, (and bitternut hickory here in Wis). I'd love to have white oak, but no access to it; do have red oak here, and that technically belongs in the first grouping due to the Btu's, but left it out 'cause I let that season twice as long as the other hardwoods. I admit that I cut a lot of popple, just 'cause there's so much of it and it ain't worth much to me 'cept for firewood (or sauna benches, or projects that require long straight poles) and they just steal sun and nutrients from adjacent more valuable trees, so they get whacked.

ok, serious answer this time. Based on what I can get my paws on here in Wis. or da U.P., it would be hard maple, yellow birch, and ironwood; and right behind that would be ash, elm, cherry, (and bitternut hickory here in Wis). I'd love to have white oak, but no access to it; do have red oak here, and that technically belongs in the first grouping due to the Btu's, but left it out 'cause I let that season twice as long as the other hardwoods. I admit that I cut a lot of popple, just 'cause there's so much of it and it ain't worth much to me 'cept for firewood (or sauna benches, or projects that require long straight poles) and they just steal sun and nutrients from adjacent more valuable trees, so they get whacked.

Oh yeah in Michigan you gotta have some popple lol

Sent from my Autotune Carb

I bet this would give a very different result if we had to pick only one species of wood that we could have.
Something that was a great firewood, cooking wood, fire starter, ease of split, cure time, btu output etc. The Swiss army knife of firewood.
For me that Swiss army firewood winner is Sugar maple/hard maple.

quote="Jim Timber, post: 4678945, member: 83753"]Yeah, if you're burning one and still cold, burn another one. :p[/quote]
Kinda reminds me of my old college roommate, he loved to "BURN ONE!" ;)

I bet a democrat would keep you warm with all the hot air, but their efficiency rating sucks. (republican's aren't much better lately)

y6unetym.jpg
Not American and couldn't tell you the difference between democrats or republicans but this is funny

Kevin, we used to have lots of Honey Locust around the fence lines on farms. Not so many farms left and fewer Honey Locust. Have you ever tasted the "honey" in one of the seed pods? Peel open the pod and there is a thick stringy yellow goo along the fat side. Taste it, sweet as honey. We used to have a climber that worked for us. He grew up in the hills of NC and was a wealth of country knowledge. He was the one that first showed me the honey. He said they used to brew a "honey beer" with the pods when he was a kid. I don't think they used the pods, just the goo. I forget if they were ready to eat as soon as they fell, or if you had to let them sit for a while. They would dry up if you let them sit too long. Unfortunately before he showed me how to brew a batch, he shot himself. Lost a friend and source of wood lore that can't be replaced, Joe.
I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard whitetail deer love those honey locust pods??? They vacuum them up!!!! Yum!!!

Of what I have available to me #1 red oak, #2 sweet gum, #3 popular. Popular for the not so cold days, sweet gum for cold days and nights and oak for very cold nights (usually will last all night). Also keep some pine for reviving the fire. Pine and popular are not real good for burning but I have a great abundance of both

Back