What is your climbing saw hanging on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the break-a-way bungee laynards and hang it onto my belt with a large Petzl caritool. The large spring gate makes it easy for hooking and unhooking your saw.

I don't know but I would figure at your age and with your wisdom you would NOT strap a saw to your hip with a rope that breaks at 8 grand, but I don't know.

LOL!!! I don't consider mysellf old or wise just stubborn and forgetfull.:)

But to your point. Though I know others will disagree, I am not a fan of breakaway lanyards. The prevailing thought appears to be that saw snatch can happen at any moment, unbeknownst to the climber. This shouldn't be so. The scenarios that create saw snatch are not that difficult to recognize. This comes back to a pet peeve of mine on the reliance of safety gear at the expense of learning proper technique.

When using a trimming saw, saw snatch is just not something I am overly concerned with. I do use my 660 quite frequently in the blocking down of trunks. I do not want a weak lanyard on that. In that situation I am not concerned with saw snatch because I know I can avoid that. I would be more concerned about putting a heavy saw like that down in a hurry if there were a weak link involved.

Dave

Buckingham bungee breakaway double ring lanyard hooked into a Kong Paddle biner on saddle and end ring locked to saddle with small alum non lock biner.

But to your point. Though I know others will disagree, I am not a fan of breakaway lanyards. The prevailing thought appears to be that saw snatch can happen at any moment, unbeknownst to the climber. This shouldn't be so. The scenarios that create saw snatch are not that difficult to recognize. This comes back to a pet peeve of mine on the reliance of safety gear at the expense of learning proper technique.

When using a trimming saw, saw snatch is just not something I am overly concerned with. I do use my 660 quite frequently in the blocking down of trunks. I do not want a weak lanyard on that. In that situation I am not concerned with saw snatch because I know I can avoid that. I would be more concerned about putting a heavy saw like that down in a hurry if there were a weak link involved.

I personaaly never said you were old or wise did I?:)

I was lookind at lanyards and they told me that they were designed to break at below 20 pounds of force or something. Didn't seem like a good thing to hang a saw on to me. With contant regular use I would think it just might have a great chance at getting snagged and breaking or it was just going to break anyway if I dropped the saw.
we ALL do it wrong anyway. To do it completey safe you would need to get someone else to do it. " Oh that looks very dangerous and the price is so high!"

Last edited:
Saw attachment....

I don't use a breakaway bungee. I use a nylon strap with a chrome ring on my belt. Attached to that is a paddle beaner with the hook grinded off the gate lock. I hang my 020 or 361 off that. I just hold onto the saw in the tree and never have gotten it snatched in years of nearly everyday climbing. I used a lanyard for a little while and it came loose one (I have no idea how) but mostly it got in the way and was too short.

Mike

this is what i go with.

no longer using the caritool though. replaced it with a big accessory biner.

apparbo, i gotta agree man. people are crazy to climb with no lanyard. get a breakaway....if the saw is going to get torn out of the tree it wont take you with it but the saw isnt going anywhere if you let it go either.

I use the break-a-way bungee laynards and hang it onto my belt with a large Petzl caritool. The large spring gate makes it easy for hooking and unhooking your saw.

careful with that thing man. i went through 2 of them. no thanks now. the plastic is going to get fatigued and let go.

Dave

good stuff D.

my 660 has its own strap for when it time to climb with it. an older real short stihl lanyard with a snap on it. perfect.

Seems like the best thing might be to have the saw tied to something below you with line that would break at (10 x saw_weight).

Dave

I agree with oldirty, good post.

I think you coined a new term (at least to me) "saw snatch"

I love treework, where else can you yell up to someone, "just put a nice big open box on her, lol.

The scenarios that create saw snatch are not that difficult to recognize. This comes back to a pet peeve of mine on the reliance of safety gear at the expense of learning proper technique.

+1

Does anyone know at what force the ring on the back of 200T is supposed to break?

I use a home made lanyard, a piece of 1 wide webbing long enough to keep the saw below my feet and give me room to use it.

I personally have never sent a saw out of a tree in 15 years of climbing, but have had a few pulled and have seen it many times.
I've sent 2 in my time, both wouldn't run for nothing and it was 100 degrees and I'd had enough, the first was a Homelite Super 2 back in 1989 and the second was a stihl 026 that was scared of heights, both were totaled and the stihl was mine, the Homelite wasn't but I really dropped it if anyone asked...........lol

I use a 4' horse lead that I picked up at a farm supply store (see attached photo of similar product). It has a bull snap on one end and a carabiner-type snap on the other (not quite sure how to describe it). It has a bit of stretch so it's not jarring when I get the saw hung up or when I lower it into carry position after making a cut. It is not steel core so it can be cut through but I've never even knicked it.

I think it cost about $10 and has lasted 5 years thus far with little wear. Works great for me.

attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG]here is what im using. if the bungy was 6in longer i would prolly use. i have updated the ms200 strap with somthin better but i dont have a pic. i like the stihl sash cord like in the last pic. i just cut off the ring and stuff the foin krab in there. the krab works the best for me cause of the endless hooking abillities. if i need 2 loose my saw in half a sec i just whack it too the lanyard. i must be pulled from the spar before i let go of my saw.

Last edited:
the ring is plenty strong and even saw a 5ft man hang from it fer a sec or two and it didnt break:dizzy:

I use the Sherrill lanyard with the ring and dog snap at the end, girth hitched onto the saw as well.

In MY short career, I've had the saw snatched from me once, piece snapped off the saw before it dragged me outta the tree. Scared the hell out of me, and that was due to simple inexperience and negligence. Was using a 3 cut on a big limb, when it should have been a notch or a snap cut. Undercut it, started the top cut a few inches further out (Norway Maple I believe), the piece snapped off, saw stuck in the kerf, and ripped the saw right out of my hands, scared the hell out of me, and its never happened since. :cry:

I use a home made lanyard, a piece of 1 wide webbing long enough to keep the saw below my feet and give me room to use it.

I've sent 2 in my time, both wouldn't run for nothing and it was 100 degrees and I'd had enough, the first was a Homelite Super 2 back in 1989 and the second was a stihl 026 that was scared of heights, both were totaled and the stihl was mine, the Homelite wasn't but I really dropped it if anyone asked...........lol

Hey ,i here you on that one. My uncle loved those cheap a$$ pull on micros
back in the day,until they got a few months on them, and would get [afraid of heights]. those saws would get so depressed,many of them JUMPED to their deaths. If you know what i mean?

Back to the saw lanyard thing....I use a homemade one with small rope about the size of small starter rope,but 3 pcs. braided ,strong but i'd like to think it would break if it were "saw snatched" by anything big enough to pull the saw from my hands,but will hold if i have to suddenly let go for some reason.

Back