What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite non-saw tool brand?

• Makita

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Bosch

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Dewalt

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Rigid

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Kobalt

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Snap-on

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other. ( Reply your favorite )

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
My own personal stuff is Milwaukee and so is all the company owned battery stuff we have at work. Boat-yard work is particularly rough on tools, and Milwaukee products have outlasted any of the Dewalt, Metabo or Craftsman stuff we had in the past, and it ain't even a close race. The one Achilles heel is water, if you drop it in the bilge or off a dock, your odds of survival are 50/50 at best.

My own personal stuff is Milwaukee and so is all the company owned battery stuff we have at work. Boat-yard work is particularly rough on tools, and Milwaukee products have outlasted any of the Dewalt, Metabo or Craftsman stuff we had in the past, and it ain't even a close race. The one Achilles heel is water, if you drop it in the bilge or off a dock, your odds of survival are 50/50 at best.
I'm going to disagree with them getting wet. I use a Milwaukee drill to install my boat lift. It's gone in the lake at least a half dozen times, i pull it out and it continues to run even half underwater. Its been in the lake at least twice a year for 4 years and spits a little sand out for the next couple weeks but still runs fine.

I'm going to disagree with them getting wet. I use a Milwaukee drill to install my boat lift. It's gone in the lake at least a half dozen times, i pull it out and it continues to run even half underwater. Its been in the lake at least twice a year for 4 years and spits a little sand out for the next couple weeks but still runs fine
Glad to hear, but my stuff ain't fared quite as well.

I'm just too deep in dewalt, and can't justify a do-over when a lot of the stuff I have I don't use that hard, so it will last forever for me. I like the Milwaukee stuff a lot, it's all 2 of my uncles and one cousin use, but I've never thought it was so much better to replace all my cordless tools with. Now if it was 8 odd years ago when I was replacing all my cordless snap-on tools then yeah, I'd go Milwaukee. Even with a free tool program I'd have 2 different battery systems for years.
I have Milwaukee,, are they my favorite ? I don't have enough of the others to call a favorite. I bought Milwaukee cause of availability and price.. No problem with reliability. My experience is with mechanics tools, not so much wood working stuff. Thought long and hard about a brand to go with.. It was going to be either Dewalt or Milwaukee.. As far as cordless goes. I also have one Bauer that has been a good tool, even after dropping it about 30 feet.

I have Milwaukee,, are they my favorite ? I don't have enough of the others to call a favorite. I bought Milwaukee cause of availability and price.. No problem with reliability. My experience is with mechanics tools, not so much wood working stuff. Thought long and hard about a brand to go with.. It was going to be either Dewalt or Milwaukee.. As far as cordless goes. I also have one Bauer that has been a good tool, even after dropping it about 30 feet.
I'm a mechanic, I don't really have much in the way of cordless wood working tools.

I started with Ryobi due to good experience previously when I managed an apartment complex. Not going to call it junk, but it definitely isn't built for my needs. Fine for someone building bird houses out of pallets like they saw on Instagram, but normal fixxer upper homeowner use destroyed the circular saw in short order.

Bumped up to Rigid. Much better, these actually lasted a couple years, but still issues. Couple tools that were damaged out of the box, a circular saw with a bent motor shaft that made the blade wobble, returned to the store immediately. A couple warranty issues that Rigid refused to take care of, and if I wanted the tool back, I had to pay the diagnostic fee. Luckily the Home Depot manager took care of me, gave me a new tool off the shelf and defected the old one back, even though it was out of the return period. Good on Home Depot, to hell with Rigid. Buy Rigid if they work for you, do inspect them immediately after you get them, and definitely don't buy them because you think the warranty is giving you any kind of extra value, because it isn't.

Bumped up yet again to Milwaukee. Same clan, different family, and this is my home now. Premium price, premium product, quality finally in line with what I expect a tool to have. Decent warranty, but I have no idea how it works, because I haven't needed it. Tools are small, nimble, and powerful. The Milwaukee circular saw that replaced the Rigid one above is every bit as powerful as any corded saw I've used.

This was a basically my final lesson in "buy once, cry once" as well. I'd be money, time, and hassle ahead if I'd just bought Milwaukee from the get go, and not faffed around with Ryobi or Rigid at all.

I think Milwaukee make the best nailers.

I think Dewalt makes the best drill/drivers.

I just don't like Milwaukee triggers, they suck. They have always suck and everyone knows they suck. They have never fixed them.
I think Dewalt nailers suck, they have always scuked and everyone knows they suck. They have never fixed them.

I use Milwukee nailers and use Dewalt drill/drivers. Everything else I just get as needed since I have batteries for both.

Dotco, Ingersoll Rand, Chicago Pneumatics were the best air tools in my stone fabrication shop.

Since it was intended to go in the battery tool section I go with Makita. I have lxt stuff they are other battery platforms and likely will be more in the future. I got two 6ah batteries off ebay maybe a bit over a year ago and they are lighter than the 5ah ones I had. None have gone bad and they are mostly kept fully charged and in the cold at times. As far as driver drills and the like the battery stuff uses planetary reductions instead of two or three stage gearing and this makes getting into corners and restricted spaces more limited.

In general I have had Skill and Milwaukee go parts NLA on plug in tools kind of close to the date of purchase, so they don't get to be on the favorite list.
The 18 volt 3/8 right angle drill by Milwaukee has pinched my flesh a bunch of times as well that may also help keep it off the favorite list.

The Magnesium 7 1/4 inch hypoid circular saw is quite nice for that layout. plug in Makita

Big Bosch 12V and 18V tool user. I do have to admit though that in my research for a cordless grease gun - that I purchased a Hercules 20V grease gun on the buy two 5.0ah batteries and get the tool free special. I really did not want to jump to another charger and battery platform - but Bosch does not make a cordless grease gun (that I could find anyway). What also made a difference for me, was finding a 3D printed battery adapter on Ebay that allows me to use my new Hercules 20V batteries in my 18V Bosch tools - so that lessen the pain. Of course, you still have to use the manufacturers charger - so that is an additional purchase too! From what I have learned - the Hercules brand of cordless tools is a vast improvement over the traditional HF options of several years ago.

I have a few Flex power tools . The professional orbital polisher is top notch and made in Germany . I have the 24v Impact driver and drill . I like the warranty on them lifetime on both the tool and the battery. But they are made in China

Stahlwille, Gedore, Knipex, Mitutoyo, Hultafors, Talmeter, deWalt, Makita just to mention brands worth buying.

Definitely DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita.

- Dewalt saws can be a hit or miss. I think it has to do with the fact that some of their tools' manufacturing is outsourced.
- Milwaukee, on the other hand, is just consistent. Top of the line quality, lasts very long, you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back