What kind of a crew leader are you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of a crew leader are you? ...a very good one...lol...I own my own bus.

The guy I use is a very hard worker, he knows what to do, dont need to babysit him.
We have good communication, this starts when we get to the job site, I go over what we will be doing first.

There's no cussing, no smoking, no shirts off or just stupid stuff when were on site...we do some joking, but serious when climbing. I get praise all the time from job to job, HO's build up trust in us, we dont look like convicts, they know we wont come back and rip em off.

nosak should have his testicles stump ground by your alpine magnum, nails. that guy sucked and put bad arboriculture on main stream media.

bring your camera to my show if you want quality drama free crane work...

nosak should have his testicles stump ground by your alpine magnum, nails. that guy sucked and put bad arboriculture on main stream media.

bring your camera to my show if you want quality drama free crane work...

I am sure you all ready know this, but, the problem is that drama free + predictable = boring (in the eyes of the general public) the only people who would watch you on TV would be.....people like us.
What kinda crew leader am I ? IDK....I know I try to treat people how I would want to be treated. If you are late to work we will have a big problem.

I am operation's so that means the owner will know what kind of leader I am based on production reports. A good leader would not ask anyone to do something that he himself has not done and has the ability to pass down the training.
Jeff

I think a lot of small business owners and sole traders fail to attract good staff because they fail to see the situation from the groundies perspective. I'm talking mid to long term groundies here, not day hire casual staff. If you're paid on an hourly rate, then there is no incentive to work your ass off. For me, there's a big incentive; I can finish earlier for the same money, or go do another job and earn more. If you pay your guys by the hour then for them its either 'break my back and go home with less pay' or 'brake my back and keep breaking my back on another job and still only go home with a days pay'. Grounding is a moderately risky job compared to other semi skilled labour positions like say, brickies labourer, demolition worker, construction, tilers labourer, concreters labourer etc. Its also hard work and you're probably going to forever stay on the ground. There is also little to no job security. If your boss gets hurt or fails to get enough jobs, or winter rolls round, you're out of a job. Logically, it's a poor employment choice.

The other thing I think a lot of business owners fall down on is giving recognition. Just remember, one 'aw sheet' wipes out a hundred 'attaboys'. From what I see most guys who are running small crews are hot heads, and pretty much just chew guys out all day long and never say a single thanks or word of praise for any of the good things the guys did. When they get it right it isn't good, its merely adequate and not worth commenting on. Who wants to turn up every day to a job with no future and little money to break your back and get chewed out all day long?

'Training' is another shortcoming for a lot of small businesses. The big boys have acredited programs that are chintzy as all hell, but they are recognised, structured and give you a little leg up. For most small businesses, training takes the form of 'i show you once, you better remember'. Like tying a knot for a guy once, then he has to get it right each time or you chew him out again. Why not go a step further? For my longer term workers I do give them training. I send them off to do courses, or give them actual paper work. One of the first ones is knots. I give them a little printed out page of a few knots at a time, and a piece of rope to take home with instructions to leave it in the john and practice. Guys love it, they do learn the knots and they feel proud of themselves (as they ought to). Then they come to work and get it right, and I give them an attaboy. Doesnt cost anything, and it improves workplace moral. I do similar stuff for most other training aspects of the work.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back