What kind of a crew leader are you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OD has said that I am Tony Hawk and he is my skateboard, some days he feels I spend too much time rail grinding…

OD has said that I am Tony Hawk and he is my skateboard, some days he feels I spend too much time rail grinding…

the only reason anyone knows who tony hawk is is because of his skateboard.....

f'er.

super is a good crew leader fo sho (unabashed halfwhack). this mofo knows his **** when you get down to the basics of it all.

i call him the rain man of the crane game. he may be partially retarded but this kid can set up a job like no one i've seen. i'll never tell it to his face but i'll let him read it.

we've done some pretty hairy, cool, wild, and audacious **** and he's been rock solid through it.

in otherwords, treespect.

that and he can crush the back of the chip truck like no other. we're talking like a 6 ft **** smear on the bed after the truck gets dumped because he refuses to hit the chips.

lol

best groundeeeee

The standard for me was set in Oregon by Eric "The Taz" Whaley. 58 yr old who would put the boots to any kids I brought out. He had them puking by noon. Next was Raymond " the mediator " Cantrell. 62 years old and to date the best geoundy ever. By the time I put my last leg strap on ,my rope would be in the tree, extension ladder next to it, saw hot and ready. When I climbed down everything would be exactly how I would have done. Ground had been pounded 2nd rope in 2nd tree and ladder and so on and so on. Sound of my voice was like an emergency to him. Everything was halted to adress me. Miss ol Raymoond. Hire at colleges. I've had good luck with athletes. Nothing like a 6'6 280 lb youngster to carry logs. I work with kids from the Marshal island 5'2 112 lbs. Little suckers got good cardio but their as dumb as u get. Skidsteer skidsteer skidsteer skidsteer that's all I dream about.

The standard for me was set in Oregon by Eric "The Taz" Whaley. 58 yr old who would put the boots to any kids I brought out. He had them puking by noon. Next was Raymond " the mediator " Cantrell. 62 years old and to date the best geoundy ever. By the time I put my last leg strap on ,my rope would be in the tree, extension ladder next to it, saw hot and ready. When I climbed down everything would be exactly how I would have done. Ground had been pounded 2nd rope in 2nd tree and ladder and so on and so on. Sound of my voice was like an emergency to him. Everything was halted to adress me. Miss ol Raymoond. Hire at colleges. I've had good luck with athletes. Nothing like a 6'6 280 lb youngster to carry logs. I work with kids from the Marshal island 5'2 112 lbs. Little suckers got good cardio but their as dumb as u get. Skidsteer skidsteer skidsteer skidsteer that's all I dream about.

When I was working out of town I hired a lot from college too. Excellent hands. Two of them were athletes. I also hired the local football coach part time.

I have had some excellent groundies in my time. Two memorable ones worked under me when I worked for a large service in Atlanta. Mike and his cousin Ant, both out of Louisiana. Both kept me layed out like old Raymond and could carry pulpwood sized pine chunks out of the back yard by themselves. They weren't huge guys but they worked all day, took a little break then went and pumped iron for an hour or two in the evening time. They always had some fine looking young girls around their place. I went over there one day and one of their little girlfiends asked me if I dated black girls... I asked her "why", "looking for a date"... :biggrin:

hardest job i've ever done

I've climbed for years, run the bucket truck, dragged brush and loved every minute of it. Now, at 55, my oldest son is taking over the business. I sacrificed my family, my body and my first marriage to get this company to where it is. Now, with climbers and groundies in their twenties, it has become painfully obvious that I am worth more as a salesman than in the field. Letting go is the hardest job I've ever done. I know that I am off topic but this is the only place where I can vent. thanks for reading. (ironicly as I type this I have the heating pad on my back from a 70' norway maple removal I did over a house last friday) Jim

Great story

I've climbed for years, run the bucket truck, dragged brush and loved every minute of it. Now, at 55, my oldest son is taking over the business. I sacrificed my family, my body and my first marriage to get this company to where it is. Now, with climbers and groundies in their twenties, it has become painfully obvious that I am worth more as a salesman than in the field. Letting go is the hardest job I've ever done. I know that I am off topic but this is the only place where I can vent. thanks for reading. (ironicly as I type this I have the heating pad on my back from a 70' norway maple removal I did over a house last friday) Jim

Vent buddy vent. You have a lucky son capecod. I wouldnt let go your still young. You dont have to climb everything. Take it easy show the boys some tricks. Don't let any of those guys slack off though it doesn't take much farting off before the books look bad.
When work is nasty because of weather, maybe you have a long drag up a steep hill, or ma&be the client is crazy WELL that's when I think of the ol timers (like Capecode) who paved the way. 37 and I feel like I play professional football for a living. My body feels worked. My last boss was 62 and will still smoke me in a tree. His mentor was 87 and he stop climbing at 70. Up until he died he would stop at job sites and heckle climbers.
Where are those pics? like to see what its like way over and up there in the cape.

I am just glad most employees are not like me. I have been told more then once by bosses, "it's not your company!" If I don't feel like things are being run right, I have a bad habit of taking over. I don't work well with those "lil hitlers'' that try to control my every movement. I won't be yelled at unless I really, really have it coming, even then I'll only take so much. You best not insult me, and if you have some thing to say, do it in private.
I worked two days for a local company two years ago. First company I called out of the phone book. Talked my self up, told him what I could do, and how much money I wanted. This dude started criticizing every move I made. They did really bad tree work. I told him I could match what ever kind of work they did, but I just couldn't (wouldn't) do that kind of work. I would stand there looking like an idiot, but inside I was fighting a battle.
I walk off the job half way through the second day. He was a big mean son of a gun, 10 years ago I'ed of whipped his ass. I'm not as tough as I use to be or have as much hate in my heart. I just smiled and walked a way. He said, He didn't believe I even knew how to trim trees, and he would of teached me.
I worked for an other guy for years, nothing would make him happy, If I made a suggestion he would do the opposite. If I asked a question, he use to give me this look like I crawled out from under a rock.
But I have worked for others, who were golden, a few I admired, and some I consider more friend then boss.
I worked on a bark beetle crew for a few years. 5 man crews, we thought we were the navy seal of tree crews. Everyone was highly motivated, it was a rough bunch of young men, and if you weren't up to task you were called a sissy la la, and replaced. That crew ruined me as a crew leader, because I know what is possible, I have been trying to put a crew like that together for 20 years, and it has just frustrated me. People talk old school, new school. but I don't think those kind of guys excise anymore. I am more forgiving, and understanding, and less demanding these days, but still disappointed more so then not

It just seems that guys took a lot more pride in working back in the old days. Nobody wanted to be outdone or appear that they weren't pulling their weight. On the good crews anyway. I am lucky to have two good guys now that have been with me for several years. I very rarely have to tell them to do anything. Everyone knows their part and does it. But my guys are older. I very rarely find a young guy who wants to do it anymore. I'm talking about grounding, I have met some fine young climbers. I had two quit on me in the same day when I was in Alabama. One was an old guy and just couldn't hack it. The other one was younger and just couldn't hack it either. I had to rope and block every stick of a large pine down right next to a house. Around 30". When I got down I cut the chunks into 3 footers, gave them a dolly and told them to go to town. They only had to wheel them maybe 50' to the truck. I left to bid a job and when I came back virtually nothing was moved. I said WTF? I ended up having to wheel half of them myself after I had put the tree on the ground. They both quit that day. The younger guy's wife called me and asked me that night if I worked as hard as I made my guys work. I said "are you kidding". "I am the one that put the tree on the ground". Good thing is there is a large surplus of unemployed to pick from. Bad thing is there are a lot of unemployable out there as well. I am no Hitler and keep my mouth shut most of the time. You will know I'm pissed when you're not asked to come to work the next day.

And come to think of it, we weren't even loading the chunks on a truck, we were putting it to the curb for FEMA. 50' to the curb and drop it. I mean, I don't know about you but I can do that all day long...

Great topic, Tree MD
I am a slow learner when it comes to managment, all the little things mentioned previously dont bother me as much any more, coming up on 44 years old it takes to much energy to get upset.
I use an old vermeer 1600 so the brush has to be stacked in chippable sized layers so that you can take off the top flakes and be effiecent, so I try to explain it and say let me know when you run out of room , and I'll come down and help you chip, It is hard to stay busy enough year round to keep someone more than one season, and I have to remember all the good ones have good jobs, just sucks trying to train someone new on a deficult removal especially with a paying audiance.
When I come down and every thing is a jumbled mess I have to say at least its all on the curb not under the tree in the back yard,while un jumble f'n it, guys that run a screaming chuck and duck will understand.
I plan on upgrading to a hydulic feed chipper some day but even the bc1000xls seem to stay out of my price range, I took a sesanal job up in Aspen for a really nice company and plan on going back and they are training me to be a crew leader, after working up there last fall I realized the necessity of a good team, I may sell a lot of my stuff off this spring and up date next fall when I get back to Texas, I am sure I have lost work in the past by being angry over little stupid things when a potential client would walk up and my attitude was crappy, but it does suck when my Girl friend is a harder worker than a lot of the guys I have tryed in the passed, some times I would rather work by myself but then I feel it that night,
Paul

PS Didn't all metal 020's have cast aluminum filler caps with o-rings,

Its real hard to find someone that wants to learn, the right way. Seems alot of guys around here, with "experience", bounce around. Go from company to company, picking up a little each time, but never actually getting the whole deal. Then they show, kinda know what is going on but refuse to learn anything new. Like I said before, I have the best luck with those who don't know anything, that way I can beat into their brains the basics and give them a good base. I like Beastmaster, have been chasing the dragon, always on the look out for that "super crew" My guys are good, but admit that they don't want to do this forever, which I understand. The one kid is getting pretty good at climbing, but is not "motivated" My first kid rocked, would love to have him back, but he is one his way to the management at the Big O. He was motivated, loved to learn new things, and picked them up real fast, some things I wouldn't even have to explain, he could figure things out pretty quick on his own. Never really got him in the tree, but he was wicked on the ground. If I could find another like him, I would be golden. I still teach the guys I have, although they do not plan on making this a career, they need to know whats up while I got them. When I make the big move and go to SoCal, they told me that they will not stay in the business. They will see other crews working and told me that if they are doing trees, it will only be for me. When I go, they are done. Told them I could get them on at others places, told me that after watching other crews around town, they will never work at another tree service.....not sure how to take that. Could be a bad thing,lol. Maybe I am to easy on them!
I suspect that once I am in Cali, that they will be calling to see what it looks like out there. Told them a guy with some good work ethic can make good money out there, they where more interested in the beach and bikinis.

One of the best groundsmen I know, and my best friend, is in his late 50's, a Vietnam vet, and originality from Brooklyn New York, Ex-convict, recovering addict, and has terrezts(SP?)syndrome. His arms are the size of hams, he never stops complaining.
He is like a artist on the ground. No wasted movements. Be best rope man I know, loyal, and honest, has a lot of demons still, like lots of vets, I love that dude(in a manly way)Ha

I eat well, dont do drugs and dont drink

So I don't get sick. Most of the time. I haven't had car trouble or called in sick for over 3 years. Today is my trial climb with a new company. Last night I sat on the toilet with my head in the bathtub. Free flowing both ends. When i ran out of fluid i dry heeved tell i passed out. Waking up next to the toilet reminded me of the old drinking days. Anyway, I was 2 shakes from going to the hospital but I decided to wait tell this morning. Still feeling horrible I had my coffee and drove by the hospital to the owners house where im waiting for him to show up. Not going to break my 3 year record.
Where is the arborist reality show.? Those swamp idiots have nothing on us.

Where is the arborist reality show.? Those swamp idiots have nothing on us.

I hear ya. There was one about a residential tree co on history channal maybe? Was only on for a very short time. Think it was called nosak raw or something like that, was pretty entertaining

I hear ya. There was one about a residential tree co on history channal maybe? Was only on for a very short time. Think it was called nosak raw or something like that, was pretty entertaining

SAW FOR HIRE!
I remember that one, he hit a roof with the crane and lifted the rood off the house! It slammed back down and he acted like it was no big deal, part of the job. Had a welder follow him around to fix stuff as he breaks it! I think his name was Nosak. Yeah that was classic. I love Shelby on Axe Men tho, that guy is a nut!

SAW FOR HIRE!
I remember that one, he hit a roof with the crane and lifted the rood off the house! It slammed back down and he acted like it was no big deal, part of the job. Had a welder follow him around to fix stuff as he breaks it! I think his name was Nosak. Yeah that was classic. I love Shelby on Axe Men tho, that guy is a nut!

saw for hire, that's it! That was a pretty good show. Love axe men too, especially that Craig always rippin on that kid Dave, I gotta Dave working here that reminds me of him lol. I wish they'd do another show on residential stuff tho

Saw for hire. Haha want some good reading? Do a search on that show here where everybody was bombing that jerkoffs show and his groupies showed up to defend them.

Latest posts

Back