What kind of food or snacks is in your nose bag while out on the rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillamook

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been eating allot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Reeses peanut butter cups, Cliff bars, Ibiprofin,

What do you put in your nose bag to get you through the day? I need some more ideas on stuff:msp_confused:

Thanks for any ideas :)

Also any info on where I can find whistle signals info? Right now I am learning the basics but would like a cheat sheet to a standard whistle signal resource? I know different companys use different whistle signals to communicate but just wondering. Thanks

The whistles tend to vary a little from side to side often. I'd think best to learn what your side is using. Department of Labor and Industries has a book with the whistles in it that are suppose to be standard but they are not. Why not ask someone to tell you the whistles after work and write them down if you want that.
If you are using a motorized carriage you'll need to know the whistles for that too. Depending on what type carriage those whistles will change also if you go to another carriage.
Ask if you can try blowing the whistle too. Bit of an art to make nice short sounding whistles.

Lunch

Lunches are a problem. It''s always a challenge to pack different things so that you don't wind up feeling that you're eating the same damn stuff every damn day. But you usually do anyway. :laugh:

I'm not any kind of nutritionist but this is what I've found works for me. Keep everything as plain and natural as possible.

Peanut butter and jelly is a good one. It keeps. It's dull but it keeps.

Roast beef, the real roast beef , not lunch meat/mystery meat that when it gets warm resembles a dog tongue. Ham sandwiches the same way...get the real thing. No mayonnaise or sandwich spread...that stuff can mess you up. No egg salad sandwiches but hard boiled eggs are okay if you eat them before they get warm.

I like quick energy food, pocket food...granola bars, bananas, raisins, almonds, the more natural the better. Watch out for hypoglycemia. That, coupled with dehydration, can really knock you for a loop.

And, before Slowp mentions it....Donettos. But not too many. ;)

Yup...same here. I eat like a gerbil...snacking on something all the time.

I bet your saws look up from an undercut now and then and get jealous to see you munching on a snack bar while all they ever get is colored gasoline :laugh:

I won't be any help in this dept. When I was logging, it was the same lunch, all the time. . . PB&J, Lays BBQ chips, and two Mountain Dews.

I'm not a picky eater by nature, and when you're working hard, you don't care what it tastes like, as long as it makes a turd! :laugh:

I bet your saws look up from an undercut now and then and get jealous to see you munching on a snack bar while all they ever get is colored gasoline :laugh:

Nah, I never could figure out a way to eat and fall at the same time. Bucking, well that was a different story. :)
On some of those OG Redwoods you'd have twenty minutes to just stand there with the trigger pulled...lots of time for snacks.

I won't be any help in this dept. When I was logging, it was the same lunch, all the time. . . PB&J, Lays BBQ chips, and two Mountain Dews.

I'm not a picky eater by nature, and when you're working hard, you don't care what it tastes like, as long as it makes a turd! :laugh:

LOL...and when you get older it also makes some really impressive heartburn. :msp_biggrin:

I try to buy the best quality turkey and ham deli meats, smoked swiss cheese, and whole wheat pita bread..and a good quality honey mustard. Take 2 to work, one I eat at 9-ish, the other when I get hungry again. I buy Nature Valley granola bars, and take 2 of those as well.
I drink SoBe zero calorie waters- 2 a day in cooler weather, 3-4 in hot weather.
And of course, the ritual morning 12oZ coffee.

Trying hard to eat better, and less. It's EXPENSIVE to eat healthy here. Salads, fruits, whole grain stuffs, not cheap like mac n cheese and hotdogs.

I always have a box of Sweet & Salty granola bars in the truck and a couple of protein drinks or meal replacement drinks as well , PB & J is a main food with a peanut only peanutbutter on whole wheat or multigrain bread , sardines in springwater (less indigestion) and some cheese , if I plan ahead I'll make some pasta like spirals/penne or shells with a bit of spaghetti sauce to change up the routine .
I have taken 90% of process food out of my diet to reduce salt intake so that has helped a bit in eating healthier because the choices are fewer and it tends to make you eat simpler food .
FWIW , the granola bars that are labelled Sweet & Salty have less salt than most of the regular ones that I used to eat , go figure .
I do what Bob does and eat often and drink lots .

I usually keep a powerbar in my pocket. When I wasn't single the old lady packed lunch. Now I eat PBJ a little debbie and some sort of chips. Or whatever is leftover from last night. I think I'm the only guy on the crew who eats breakfast though. Bowl of oatmeal every morning.

I've heard of people not eating breakfast before they go hop on the saw.

That's just nuts. I'd make it to my strip and then pass slick out as the timber guffaws and sways with laughter.

Lots of good ideas already...
In warmer months I make my sandwhiches the night before and freeze them. If you carry them in a small insulated bag they keep till lunch. Good quality, ham, cheese and pickles are one of my fav. I usually chuck a banana, apple or orange in there. Bananas are good for not getting cramps. I freeze a drink or two and throw them in the bag too. Keeps everything cool and its nice to have a cold drink with lunch. Mostly its just gatorade or whatever.

For snacks I carry a chocky bar for a quick hit, or granola bars. You can make up your own trail mix with whatever nuts and dried fruits you like, bits of chocolate etc. In winter I carry it in my pocket and chuck a small handful in my mouth while working. There's heaps of different trail mix combos. Jerky's good but can get pricey.

Shaun

I know when Im cutting in the brush. My nose bag has a large amount of stuff. Dry sandwiches, 4 liters of water, 2 or 3 payday's, a few granola bars, bag of cheap o chips, package of twinkies and some sunflower seeds. The biggest thing for me is running out of chew. At the end of a week, its amazing how many half cans I will have floating around in the bottom of my bag.

As for eating breakfast before work. Since I was in boot camp in 03. I haven't been able to stomach morning chow. Just buggers up my guts, really bad. I cant drink milk anymore either. Breakfast consists of a pot or two of coffee, a liter of water and a couple lippers of grizz green. Once it hits about 0830 -0900 my guts start growling. Time to eat/snack.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I have got some good ideas now! I like the bananna idea as I seem to get cramps now a then when in a precarious position setting chokers lol I drink lots of water probably a gallon in a eight hour period. I will have to get some good meats and start doing the dry sandwich's because the pb&j is getting old fast:laugh:

As far as the whistles I am picking them up pretty well or at least the more common ones that is. Today had 2 guys call in sick so I got to wear the bugs today and got some good experiance in. We are running a bowman car on a 255 swing yarder, it is definately harder than the experianced guys make it look running the car and whistles and choking logs at the same time! I sure do have more respect for the ability that these guys have.

My first 20 turns running the car and comunicating with the yarder with the whistles my heart felt like it was gonna come out of my chest :cool2: but by the end of the day I was begining to figure things out and how to work the turns around stumps and get then through draws and such. I also agree it takes a skilled hand to make those whistles sound good! Mine sound well..... you know like crap lol But im determined to get it down and actually hopeing the guys call in sick more often lol.

Half way through the day I had the stroker operater in a panic he had so many logs to deal with and his panic pile was sky high lol not hard to do with a good yarder and buncher piles though :msp_smile:

I am having some problems with rolloing my ankles multiple times a day but I cant blame it on on my boots I dont think as its just hard not to when running through brush:msp_confused: Maybe people are right though and Wesco boots do roll out easy?? I may try some whites when these ones are warn out and being rebuilt but I think I have a while before that happens I hope. I will say they are the most comfy boots I have ever owned and my feet dont hurt at the end of the day so thats a plus!

Thanks again for the tips and for taking the time to reply! I am feeling really good about this job and have learned a ton for just heading into my 3rd week on the rigging. Thanks again everyone I honestly can say all the info you have all givin me has put me ahead of the game starting out! Thanks

I've heard of people not eating breakfast before they go hop on the saw.

That's just nuts. I'd make it to my strip and then pass slick out as the timber guffaws and sways with laughter.

I couldn't function without breakfast but nothing sugary like breakfast cereal , real solid foods like eggs , Pb on toast , steak & eggs etc .
If I eat a sugary breakfast a 7 am I start to crash at 9 am .
I worked with a fellow this weekend that had a Chinese food breakfast a 2 am and didn't eat till 3 pm , seemed to work for him but I know it would't for me LOL .

Check out Kuliens. Theyre out of Centralia, WA. Oldest logging boot maker in the country. They're old school with punched caulks but pretty stiff. A really nice boot but order about 7 months before you need em cuz they are usually backed up that much. About the same price as a custom pair of Wesco's. These are completyly custom boots cant buy em off the shelf. Hoffmans aren't too bad either. Whatever you do don't buy the cheap Hawthornes. I have em in vibram but I def wldn't want em in caulks.

Chasin I'd go through a gallon of water a day too. As for lunch I don't remember didn't have much time to eat was on the fly most of the time. Now a days interning with timber companies and driving around most of the time I find myself still eating as much or more... mostly out of mind boredom and the fact that I have a really fast metabolism. But ham and cheese sandwich with nothing but ham and cheese so it doesn't get soggy; or a pb & honey or pb & J. Costco trail mix, candy bar, maybe some cookies, a bannana, or apple. Sometimes sliced peaches or some mandarins. And three of the lil gatorades you can get at walmart.

And yea snoose fills in the cracks... Don't start if you're not already is my advice...

Last edited:
I try to buy the best quality turkey and ham deli meats, smoked swiss cheese, and whole wheat pita bread..and a good quality honey mustard. Take 2 to work, one I eat at 9-ish, the other when I get hungry again. I buy Nature Valley granola bars, and take 2 of those as well.
I drink SoBe zero calorie waters- 2 a day in cooler weather, 3-4 in hot weather.
And of course, the ritual morning 12oZ coffee.

Trying hard to eat better, and less. It's EXPENSIVE to eat healthy here. Salads, fruits, whole grain stuffs, not cheap like mac n cheese and hotdogs.

Like a lot of things, I think it's better to say you can have your food any two of three: good, cheap, easy. Most Americans chose the cheap and easy route. Doesn't have to be expensive, but it takes more time and knowledge -- shopping for good deals (including stocking up during sales), preparing more of your own food, knowing stuff like how to marinate lower-cost cuts of meat. Rather then buying bottled drinks everyday, buy some flavoring or Gatorade mix when it's on sale and mix your own (I usually do 1/2 the strength the package recommends). I like the 4C Drink Mix sticks, every three months or so they go on sale at my supermarket for half price and that's when I'll stock up.

I try to save money by buying good stuff on sale and spending a little bit more time making my own stuff (I bake my own bread, whip up a batch of cookie dough each month I freeze, make my own yogurt...all of those most of the time is just thinking ahead and washing dishes rather then the time it takes to actually make them). I'd rather spend my money on good basic ingredients and buying local food in season then on cheap prepared foods.

Save bottles when you do buy bottled drinks and wash them out...they make cheap canteens you can reuse a many times. Freeze 'em and pop them in your cooler (although personally I like luke-warm to warm water when I'm working hard...cool and cold drinks mess up my stomach when I'm really going full bore).

BTW...love the Nature Valley bars. At times in the past I used to eat one plus a juice for breakfast while commuting to work almost daily. Probably could save money if you shop carefully and make your own gorp for your daily snack, but the great thing about the NV bars is they're almost as good as Twinkies in longevity. I've eaten ones out of the bottom of my hiking daypack that were probably a year past the "best by" date :D Keep some "emergency" ones in your kit, glove box, where ever for whenever you need a quick snack because you feel yourself getting loopy. Nice mix of immediate sugars and longer acting carbs.

Most of all, listen to your body and figure out whats works well for you!

Back