What kind of food or snacks is in your nose bag while out on the rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nate .
Thats 1 reason I decided to build one . I suppose I could loose 50 or 60 lbs . But as long as food is relatively plentiful I don't really see that happening . :msp_rolleyes:

I made a new ax pouch last week for the riggin ax I use when I'm fallin . Its kind of a leather coppy of the galv. Ones Madsens sells . But lighter . It can hold up to a 4 lb raftin ax . Need to make a new wedge pouch also.
My old one is almost all wore thru .
I have the time . Not much $$$ but lots of time .

I haven't mounted the shoes yet. Metals did a great job, the shoes are a work of art. The sharp part might be a bit wide but I don't have a real narrow axe head anyway. I have lost every time I have bid on ebay on a stiletto type double bit head.

. Do people sell FALLING ax heads on ebay ??
Anyone know if the Canadian company HiTest made Falling Ax's ?

When you get home, you should see if you can snap some pictures of the book pages! I'd like to see them shoe designs. :cheers:

And I thought this thread was about food, guess I should've checked it out earlier....

Metals - look at the springboard (jigger) shoe picture on the link below, kinda interesting (and $$), probably more geared towards those springboard chopping competitions.

Tuatahi Axes & Saws - Keech - Taylor saws

And I thought this thread was about food, guess I should've checked it out earlier....

Metals - look at the springboard (jigger) shoe picture on the link below, kinda interesting (and $$), probably more geared towards those springboard chopping competitions.

Tuatahi Axes & Saws - Keech - Taylor saws

Yeah, I've seen them before. . . They're definitely a more modern variant. They also seem to be cast, and having stuff cast isn't cheap -- hence the price.

I haven't mounted the shoes yet. Metals did a great job, the shoes are a work of art. The sharp part might be a bit wide but I don't have a real narrow axe head anyway. I have lost every time I have bid on ebay on a stiletto type double bit head.

Bill, if the cutting edge is a bit too wide, you can always grind equal amounts off both sides, down to the flat shoe surface. :cheers:

Those were made from 4", maybe the next ones should be 3.5"? That would allow a guy to taper the springboard in a little more on the front.

. Do people sell FALLING ax heads on ebay ??
Anyone know if the Canadian company HiTest made Falling Ax's ?

Yeah Glen, there's all kinds of old heads on there. . . Use 'vintage' in the search, as that's the favorite word of people listing older stuff.

Here ya go Nate, also Bill's axe that he needs :D

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

I dig that split shoe design!! Pretty dern cool!

Guess I'm'ah gonna have to make that style next. :D

I know where one of them axes are too. . . Gonna work on him to get him to cough it up. LOL

It may be difficult though.

BTW, Jake and John, on the back side of Smith Lake is a high stump with a spring board hole. . . I need to drive down there and take some pics of it before nature makes it disappear.

Speaking of lunch boxes, anyone got anyideas on how to keep water out of your standard cooler type lunch box. I have tried a couple, (one got ran over by our machine) and I always end up with an inch of water in the bottom by lunch. I thought about drilling some holes in the bottom, but then I would just have mud coming through.

The old springboard holed stumps are all over the woods in these here parts. Some look like scary faces.

Yup, here too. I've got several in the back yard that I enjoy looking at from time to time. I better take a few pics one of these days.

Hey Stik ; if you can find some old yellow cedar stumps the springboard holes may still be fairly pristine . .

You know Tramp, that's one species I don't think I've seen a springboard notch in. Of course the handloggers up here were mostly targeting spruce at the time. Also seems that most of the AYC occurs further inland and higher elevation than the beach loggers typically ventured.

I do like that yellow cedar.

Latest posts

Back