What kind of food or snacks is in your nose bag while out on the rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tillamuk ; sp?

As far as turnin your ankles . Do they roll to the outside or inside .
I've broke my left ankle twice . To the outside .
I keep 2 or 3 Triconies on the outside of the heels of my corks .NONE on the inside . It makes a huge difference. They don't roll over .

Scroll down a bit. The spelling seems to be Tricounies. They go on the edges of the boot soles and give even more traction. And they would help the stability.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/stock.asp

Hmmm. That link doesn't work as planned. On the pull down where it says boots and more, scroll down to Accessories and the tricounies will appear.

Last edited:
Could any of you tell me what the advantages and maybe disidvantages of the tricounies are? Seems like they would be good for hanging up on things but I can see where they would help to keep you from rolling your ankles. Any info or first hand opinions on them would be great! Thanks

I will never have another pair of boots without tricounies. Like having outriggers. Really nice on steep ground, and they keep your corks from wearing as quickly on rocky ground. Lot more stability working up slick barked stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 236214

2 on the inside and outside. I would have had a couple done on the heels, but the rubber won't hold them. I just bought the standard Vibergs and had the shop add tricounies.

Looking at the Wesco web site the tricouni's ask for a qauntity and if I say one is that 10 dollars for 1!!! or do they come in sets of four like shown in the picture? It doesnt specify so just wondering if any of you know? Also wondering if you can get them at a saw shop or is it just a custom boot thing? Ill check with our local saw shop but just asking what your experiance is?

I had the shop do mine, $5 a pop installed. Not a nail loose yet after a year. Tricounies are getting to be kind of a rare item. Kinda like timber fallers....Well worth the money:msp_biggrin:

I wear Viberg 105 T's the T stands for triconie .
IMG_20120429_215054.jpg

Not the greatest pics but you will get the idea.
IMG_20120429_215116.jpg

These have 28 months of at least 5 days a week 6 hrs a day on my feet cuttin timber , thinning trees , some climbing and a dab of loggin . Been thru probably a dozen change outs of dull sctew ins but still the original triconies . I got the cork shoes in 93 . They are made from Water Buffalo hide . They are still water proof . I use Loggers Wear or Huberds .

I know guys who step on their own feet alot that can't walk with triconies on the insides of their boots . . I don't make a habit of that so I wouldn't have leather corks without triconies on them . Got my first pair of custom built Hi Lines from Pemrels in Chahalis in 1982 . They had a bunch of triconies on them . And I've just always liked them . But tho I have them on both sides of the fore foot on my boots I can only have them on the outside of the heels .
They don't hang up in the brush , but you can't drag your feet . Slowp , do you have them on your Culiens ? I think Tarzan does on his . I think Coastal Faller does on his 105,s .

Tillamook , I think Madsen's sells them . Pemrel's always did . And I think all the cork shoe builders will just sell Triconies retail . Usually they come with 6 nails an 2 staples . You'll have to pull a couple hob nails and straighten out the part that hooks over the welt , but they arn't too hard to put on yourself . . I really messed up my feet + ankles wearin XtraTuff corks . .

I wouldn't have a pair of shoes with them.
To each his own I guess. You'll have to try them to see if you like them.

Ya Hump ; I would say more guys don't have them than what do . . They really helped me with stopping me from turning my ankles is why I mentioned it . You know how wet and greasy Southeast is . I end up fallin down alot more without them on steep ground . With them on I have alot better traction .

Not to hijack the thread but . I'm starting on building a climbing belt this week . Do you have the ph # for that riggin shop in Grays Harbor that sells the manilla wire core climbin rope . . I need to order some . Thanks .

Yes. I've had 3 pairs. My current, and last pair felt very light when compared to the Wescos. I need to take them in and get the soles repaired. The last pair do not shed the water as well as the older ones did when new. They still do OK.

When you first put them on, you feel like you can run and jump and skip all over because they are lightweight.

OK, Gonna contradict you:cry:

From the different caulk shoes I have worn Kuliens are heavy. Only thing worse would be Currins which thankfully are no longer made.
Also in another post you said something about Kuliens starting at $600. You must be getting the ladies discount or stopping in on half price mondays or something. For me they start at $800. I have not been able to get a pair with tax for less then $900. They charge for everything extra concievable.
Order early! I am still waiting on mine that I ordered 14 months ago.
And yes they are shoes! Shoes lace up, boots do not. Bugs me to no end when I hear people say "logger boots" Must be wearing Vikings.

Ya Hump ; I would say more guys don't have them than what do . . They really helped me with stopping me from turning my ankles is why I mentioned it . You know how wet and greasy Southeast is . I end up fallin down alot more without them on steep ground . With them on I have alot better traction .

Not to hijack the thread but . I'm starting on building a climbing belt this week . Do you have the ph # for that riggin shop in Grays Harbor that sells the manilla wire core climbin rope . . I need to order some . Thanks .

Harbor Saw and Supply (360)532-4600

I don't like the triconies because they catch on limbs and trip me.

Thank you .
I'm going to make it in the style of the standard old climbing belts using heavy saddle skirting leather . My old belt that I bought new at Panhandle Riggin Loft in Ketchikan in 82 got saturated in 90 wt gear lube this winter . Squeeze bottle got tipped over above it and discovered months later . . These small wirecore flip lines are hard to hang on to so I want a real climbing rope . .
Thanks again .

Thank you .
I'm going to make it in the style of the standard old climbing belts using heavy saddle skirting leather . My old belt that I bought new at Panhandle Riggin Loft in Ketchikan in 82 got saturated in 90 wt gear lube this winter . Squeeze bottle got tipped over above it and discovered months later . . These small wirecore flip lines are hard to hang on to so I want a real climbing rope . .
Thanks again .

Latest posts

Back