What kind of gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAYINTOMBALL

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK need some help with the best kind of gloves to use while splitting wood with my splitter. I've split about 10 cords and have gone thru 4 pairs of gloves. It's seems a pair will last about 8 hours before I wear a hole in the thumb and two middle fingers on the left hand. ( yes i'm left handed ) I've tried everything from 2 dollar leather to 25 dollar mechinix gloves with the same results. My son has used a pair of Ringer extrication gloves from the fire dept. with Armortex tips and they seem to hold up better. Wondering if anyone else have used these or any ideas will really help. As far as cost goes I'm willing to spend the money for a quality product. THANKS Ray.:dizzy: :cry: :givebeer:

My experience has been that dexterity and useful life are inversely related.

The big suede gloves that you can get for $2 will last me a lot longer but I end up fumbling a lot more wood. The $12 good fitting hide gloves last me around the same as you.

I prefer goatskin, they seem to last longer, but nowhere near as long as the klutzy suede.

At the local Army surplus I picked up a really heavy pair of leather gloves with heavy staples all over the palm and fingers. They are/were made for wearing while dealing with barbed wire. For 10 buckes I figured they were the best thing to hold up for splitting.

Otherwise I get the cheap leather work gloves from Big lots or HD for 5-6 bucks for a three pack. If each pair lasts 8 or more hours they are cheap enough.

http://www.defenceline.com/barbed_wire_gloves1.htm

Last edited:
I bought some nice fitting deerskin gloves - a 3 pack for $ 9.99. The first pair I used in gathering wood got wet that day and I had a hole in them right away. The cheap split leather and canvas gloves don't seem to do much better. Right now I am trying some heavy knit ones that have the palms and fingers dipped in rubber - they seem to be holding up pretty well - but I have not yet spent a solid day in them.

summer time-the un-insulated Carhartt utility gloves...one pair will last me a season only doing wood and hay

winter-insulated kincos

coldish warm weather(fall/early spring)-insulated Carhartt work gloves...but dont get them wet when it's cold out b/c your fingers will freeze.

It's called dust tape my friend. When splitting I go through gloves like you do. If you tape the holes up with duct tape they will last another day. I have used the same pair of gloves for a month before I they were to far gone to tape. But the tape about 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide in strips. Wrap that around the hole and you'll be good to go.

Scott

I use leather welding gloves, they are thick leather with some insulating value in the inside, they seem to last quite a while. Or what ever is free from work!

It's called dust tape my friend. When splitting I go through gloves like you do. If you tape the holes up with duct tape they will last another day. I have used the same pair of gloves for a month before I they were to far gone to tape. But the tape about 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide in strips. Wrap that around the hole and you'll be good to go.

Scott

Another vote for duct tape. I wear cheap cotton gloves in the woods because choker jaggers will pull out of them better than leather gloves...and not dislocate your shoulder in the process.
When I get to the point where there's more duct tape than glove I'll switch to a new pair and start over.

I hate the gimics for selling gloves,,,,, they seem to think the more you pay, the more you can do.

Both of the types I like have been mentioned, the yellow fuzzies from the ranch store, or these from Harbor Fraght. Just pick up a dozen (for the price of one gimic glove) and see how they last you?

attachment.php

I've been doing firewood commercially for 25 years. I went a long time not wearing gloves at all- unless it was very cold- because I wore them out so fast; yeah, I used duct tape also. My wife recently found some goat-leather, thinsulate gloves that my helper and I have worn for two weeks- NO HOLES!!!! They were even on sale (Drugmart) and the Thinsulate is a new inproved warmer version. I just hope I can find some uninsulated ones for this summer.

I've been doing firewood commercially for 25 years. I went a long time not wearing gloves at all- unless it was very cold- because I wore them out so fast; yeah, I used duct tape also. My wife recently found some goat-leather, thinsulate gloves that my helper and I have worn for two weeks- NO HOLES!!!! They were even on sale (Drugmart) and the Thinsulate is a new inproved warmer version. I just hope I can find some uninsulated ones for this summer.

Welcome to the site Wood Guy :cheers:

I have been using some of the Stanley canvas backed suede palmed gloves this season. They have double fingers and palms that give a little more wear before the stitching comes loose.:angry2: Otherwise they have lasted real well.

They are dirt cheap and last longer than the 14-17 dollar regular leather gloves.

Don.

I use golves similar to this. Baileys has them and they are called Rubber Coated Cor-Grip Gloves. The seem to last a long time. I go through leather gloves like crazy when I was using them. The have afford you a great grip on the logs also.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13065&catID=

+1 very good gloves for firewood, I never thought they would out last leather glove's plus when wet they still grip..

Mechanix Wear <sorta work>

I am on my second pair of Mechanix Wear gloves, sides of the thumb seem to wear out for me also, going to duct tape them to squeeze a little more time out of them, Thanks for the tip. Get them free from a buddy that reps moto racing parts to race teams, so will probably try to get two extra pair a year from him and stock up.

gloves_480.jpg

Below pic is the seam that I have problems with...

gloves3_480.jpg

Last edited:
I blow through gloves too. I just threw out six pairs of leather work gloves that had holes in the thumb, forefinger, and the web between the fingers.

This winter I finally found a pair of gloves that I think will last a while. I bought two pairs of Youngstown gloves, the Pro XT and the Waterproof Winter gloves. I cut and split (by hand) 5 cords over the past few months and neither pair shows any sign of breaking down. I used to go through at least one pair of gloves per cord. They are spendy, but worth the investment so far.

http://www.youngstownequipment.com/store/?page=shop/gloves

Good luck,

Josh

I am using Ironclad Ranchworx right now. These are the best glove that I have tried to date.

I can wear out a pair of Mechanix heavy duty construction gloves in about two hours.

I have had the Ranchworx since about October with no problem. They are made from bullwhip leather with kevlar on the finger tips. They fit well and are comfortable (and washable). And I do wash them pretty often to keep the grit from wearing out the leather.

I liked them so much I bought two pairs off of ebay when the price was right. FYI, generally, they are not cheap.

https://www.ironclad.com/www/productDetail.jsp?prodID=117&catID=66

Last edited:
Back