What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn't a chainsaw, but it was a hell of a saw

My dad had a Makita circular saw that he used to cut skids with for firewood. He would take the discarded pallets from the factory he worked at, and load them into the trunk of his great big 1983 delta 88 brougham

The car's trunk was so laden with hardwood, that the front end would sit easily a good foot higher than the rear;it looked like a cruise missile barreling down the QEW. Night after night, the saw would buzz through pile after pile of 4x4 hardwood. He is long retired and the Olds is long gone but the kita circular saw never burned out and it remains one of his favorite tools. Although, come to think of it someone on this site built him a damn nice poulan

das first saw was a old clinton saw, he traded that for a mankiller david bradley, and when that wore him out, he bought a brand new xl12--which i still have--but need to fix up--and no, i own olympyks--now efco........

all the big names of the late 70's early 80's. Stihl, Jonesered, Homelite, Husky.

The only saw he still has is his last purchase, 266SE. One saw, one chain.

:clap:

Before he was married dad worked at his uncles sawmill. IIRR he said they ran McCulloughs & a Mall. He had a Homelite Zip for years until the starter broke and he bought a Mac. I resurrected the Zip, ran it for a good many more years, then gave it to an AS member.

Dad started with his Homelite super EZ. Grandpaw on moms side, his family ran a saw mill, and his Dad was one of the best sawyers around these parts.
But Grandpaw runs a John Deere saw, a newer one. Cause he loves that green and yellow paint. Havent ever talked to him about what all they ust to run.

But I am not brand specific or influenced by them. Dad likes mostly Stihls these days. I prefer Huskys most of the time. But lay claims to a couple Stihls. Id like to pick up a Jred, and some Dolmars.

Great thread!

grandpa on dads side, never had a saw. grandpa on mom's side, a hand saw. and kept the house heated with that bow saw.

or maybe even your grandfather?

Did they have any influence on the brand of saws that you run?

When I was about 8 or 9 I remember seeing a Titan out in the shed. We also had a buzz saw hooked to the case tractor to cut up firewood.

Around 65 my dad got the new homelite XL12 and thats what we used.

Years later I decide I want to collect chainsaws and am fascinated with the old Titans..

So I start dragging them in and another old freind drops by and tells me one of my dads best hunting buddies used to work for Titan in seattle and was in some ads.. I grew up near seattle..

So I am digging through my old ads I have been buying for Titan saws and,,,

WOW, there he is... My dads buddy frank. we called him uncle Frank.

I was born in 55 so this was before me........

scan0006.jpg

franks45.jpg

my Dads last saw was a Stihl. When I need to cut I use a Stihl but I collect all saws now and Really like The big Titans and Stihls.

My grandfather and dad strongly believe in the old McCulloch saws. I think that is one reason that I am kind of partial to the McCulloch saws.

Kind of odd but my great grandmother was a McCulloch. Just not the right group.

Two of the Macs in my sig were bought new by my dad--and they are still everyday runners.........

Casey

My grandfather and dad strongly believe in the old McCulloch saws. I think that is one reason that I am kind of partial to the McCulloch saws.

Kind of odd but my great grandmother was a McCulloch. Just not the right group.

My pops ran the same Stihl saw all the time. It was probably your basic all around chainsaw, nothing big, nothing small. Actually I hated the damn thing. Other than the guy just being one of those one kinds of fathkers, and um... we always burned wood for winter heat.

All year around we would stack huge log piles for as long as I could remember. Then he'd make us move these huge piles around the property by hand for sport.

He also liked to renovate rental homes as we moved around quite a bit. To top that he bought a few hundred acres in the woods of the south. All of the clearing that had to be done on it... it was done with a chainsaw, my brother, and I posing as pack mules for hauling wood and brush. This lasted for several years for the full extents of all of my vacations from school. The no thanks and no rewards for anything thing except for we'd be grounded for 6 months at a time if we didn't keep the pace that he liked (never weren't grounded) got kind of lame. That Stihl meant hell to me. I sugared the fuel tank on it the year before I moved out about age 14.

He's got a bunch of saws now as a landscaper down there. I bet they are all Stihls. Anyway I would have never imagined I'd be a tree guy after all the years of being under the tyrany of "The Stihl Saw."

Before Stihl got ahold of the Great PNW timber craze in the 70's... the big Macs and Homelites were the kings... Mostly Macs.

My Gramps ran mostly the Mac "1" series saws... in the late 50's and early 60's... then came some of the big Homie Geardrives... but He always like the McCullochs...

In the 70's Gramps had an 076 that was his favorite saw... I wish I would have got my hands on that one... that will always be the "one that got away"... :)

Gary

LOL, I must be older than most of you! My grandpa and father didn't have chainsaws. They used 2 man cross cut and axes. Then belt driven buzz saw run off a Fordson or 9n! God!, I,m glad I came along much later! :dizzy:

Gregg,

Dad's first saw was a mac 10-10 in about 1971 he bought it used.We would work on it for about an hour, use it for a while and work on it some more.
Once started it cut pretty good, just couldn't get it to start.
He gripes about it still ( last saturday as a matter of fact) he thinks it had been run on straight gas before he got it.
Any way he got rid of it and bought a blue xl12 that I cut hundreds of ranks of wood with, I still have it.

I talked him into a Mac 610 back in the 80's and he got a lot of use out of it.
he then wore out a small Stihl and we got him a MS250 ez start for christmas last year. He' 78 and cuts quite a bit of firewood.

He replaced the wood furnace 3 years ago with a ground source heat pump amd swore off wood. That lasted 6 months. He burns the fireplace on a regular basis now. Nothing quite like wood heat.

A Lombard Comango for years, and later on, after trying it at his place of work, he bought a stihl 024. The comango is not in working condition anymore but he still uses his 024.

The first saw that my dad used that I can remember was a Mac CP70. I remember getting so excited whenever he would get the saw out and cut wood! He also had a Mac 120, which was the first saw that I ever used. He now runs a PM 650. In fact, he gave me that old Mac 120 just a few weeks ago. (in pieces in a bucket):dizzy:

He still has that CP70 and says he wants to get it running again some day. Hoping he'll loose interest and just give it to me!:D

Dad never had any saws but Grandpa had some. He had some old ones that I don't remember what they were that were stolen. Then he got an 015 that served him well until he decided not to continue repairing. He still has his 028 from the late 70's that he uses time to time. Nowadays he mainly uses his 017 and MS170, one at home and one at the cabin. Yeah, not much power but cuts surprisingly well with a sharp chain plus nice and light so its easy on his 86 year old body.

My dad used a small poulan top handle.from about 1964...he wouldnt cut a tree he couldnt handle and wouldnt cut one he couldnt drive the truck up to..

Disstons and Atkins

The Disston was a 6-footer, the Atkins a 5'. Both Tuttle-tooth. Still using the Disston, but the Atkins hangs over my fireplace.

Latest posts

Back