What kind of tree is this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any chance there are some leaves laying around the base? are the branches and buds in opposite pairs or are the alternate? any chance of a close up picture of a bud? any sign of seeds or fruit? whats the general geographic location?

Location is missouri......... I dont have any pics of leaves. The owner said the tree did not leaf out this year. It was busted up from ice storm we had in 2000. I'm thinking its some kind of elm.
:confused:

The bark looks like an american elm. A close up of the limbs or branches would be better if you got some.

This tree is coming down soon. Anyone burn much elm in there fire place? Does it stink when burned ? Good heat to weight ratio?
I burn alot of wood, but its been along time since i'v had elm I cant recall if its any good.... Also is it real stringy to split? I hate that!

My experience with elm as firewood sucks. Stringy to split, smoky, low heat output and throws and spits embers. Dries poorly, it would rather grow mold than season.

I have no idea how elm burns in a fireplace, but in my woodstove it burns fine. I would not burn it exclusively though, once it's dry, it's not dense at all. For getting a fire going, it works great. It puts out heat though, and that's a plus.:)

It looks as if the tree in question has some of the bark missing. Once the barks starts falling off, it is a good sign that the sapwood has begun to dry. Once it has begun to dry, the stringiness isn't as big of an issue, and it splits fairly easily. However, the base of the tree will be a b*tch to split, trust me.

Dan

I've seen A. elm get stuck on hydraulic and PTO splitters.

I could see it needing more time to dry, if you have a lot of sparks from it, it may not be dry enough. Red elm is worse, since it uses several rings for sapwood conduction. (U. americana uses just one, which makes it so suseptibel to DED).

There are several BTU charts out there, this is the best I've found yet. It shows how much of a cord is needed to get 1MBTU.

http://**********/what/heatvalues.html

Latest posts

Back