What kind of walnut is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_6734.JPG Can anyone tell? Just curious because i like it and good to know what kind. The rounds in back ground. Using it in my smoker. Thanks a lot! Seen a guy say it burns with a blue flame but never seen that. Only yellow

Ya, I've never heard of Walnut used in smoking meats.
I have heard of Cherry, Hickory, Mesquite, Oak, Pecan, Apple and Alder.
Heavy flavored meats like beef are best with woods like Oak, Hickory, Mesquite and Pecan.
Poultry and fish do best with woods like Maple, Apple, Alder and Cherry.
But to each his own.

Here's ur beer:cheers:Cooked this for 2 hours and the macIMG_6717.JPG Black walnut great to know! The whole walnut is bitter or bad to use is a myth and hear say, maybe if u use it 100% but I mix it in. I use it myself and tested myself. I used to only toss in couple pieces and food still tasted great. I used more last week on a pork tenderlion, 75% apple and 25% walnut. Came out great! Used it on a 6.5 pound brisket flat I cooked the other day too, came out great! Thanks a lot!

I've used walnut for years to smoke meat in a barrel cooker, right along with other so-called "no-no" meats -- mulberry, locust, yellow birch, and crab apple. Bradford pear also works. My hat's off to motolife313. Try a 3-to-5 lb rolled pork roast while you are at it.

Hows the Crab Apple work out? i get tons of it every year but never tried cooking with it. everyone told me no so i burn it in the stove instead. great firewood and smells awesome if i get a puff out the door or go outside to smell the smoke

Hows the Crab Apple work out? i get tons of it every year but never tried cooking with it. everyone told me no so i burn it in the stove instead. great firewood and smells awesome if i get a puff out the door or go outside to smell the smoke
A few purists might be able to tell the difference between crab apple wood and regular apple wood. I can't when it comes to smoking meats. Every year I pick up crab apple from neighborhood tree trimmings. I usually smoke with it while still a little green. That way I don't have to soak it in a bucket of water.

Speaking of walnut, here's a WW project I completed 12 years ago using black walnut:
Picture 071.jpg
Complete with lift-out tray:
Picture 072.jpg
The tray also rests in the lid of the tool box. Thanks for looking.

Crab apple works well. No issues with it. Tried black walnut once and it was the last time. Reminded me of a super high IBU beer flavor. Bitter beer face with every bite.

I shave it and chip it. I usually stick with one wood type for that smoke. I think I smoked brats with walnut. I usually use alder on them and that works great.

Back