What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cottonweed for sure! Wet as piss, stringy as hell, smells like ass, and burns like paper when it's dry! Lots of work for little output! It's alright if you have a little and mix it in with something else, but on it's own, sorry, but it's not really worth the effort.

Cottonweed for sure! Wet as piss, stringy as hell, smells like ass, and burns like paper when it's dry! Lots of work for little output! It's alright if you have a little and mix it in with something else, but on it's own, sorry, but it's not really worth the effort.

Cottonweed or cottonwood? And yes that is why we are not getting any more of it. Even though it is really wet, we are still burning it now, just have to throw some other stuff in there with it.

It's Cottonwood, we call it Cottonweed because it grows like weeds here in KS!
You neglected to mention if it smells?

Fair enough, but that is another sign it's Cottonwood, it has this indescribable odor that makes me want to gag.
On the other hand, Red Oak smells like a good bourbon to me:hmm3grin2orange:

Our poplar here has that lovely tomcat p*ss odour when it's burning, so as I've no knowledge of cottonwood I assume it's alot like poplar ? We do have black cherry ,very rare though,just happens to be a small pocket in my local area, lovely rich cherry odour,almost like a liqueur smell.

Cottonwoods and Poplars are part of the same genus. Very closely related. Did you ever notice how freshly cut cottonwood in the summertime attracts flies, just like a pile of crap or rotting flesh. Had some sitting in the back of my truck this past summer and it had blow flies all over it.

No cottonwoods in this part of Canada, not sure if they're anywhere up here but none in eastern canada for sure. Have worked with a couple of people who couldn't go near poplar highly allergic, swell up in seconds.

Cottonwood

We have it hear to. its usually almost black in the center, thats a for sure sign hear. Not sure about elm never seen it.

Cottonwoods and Poplars are part of the same genus. Very closely related. Did you ever notice how freshly cut cottonwood in the summertime attracts flies, just like a pile of crap or rotting flesh. Had some sitting in the back of my truck this past summer and it had blow flies all over it.

That's interesting... I had honey bees all over a pile of oak sawdust"I believe it to be Pin oak) a couple weeks ago. There was something in it they liked. I'm going to find a cotton wood and cut it up now. If it has the burn characteristics of Popple, it could come in useful next fall. Does it shed water as fast as Poplar?

Back