What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there! Months ago, the track dept. at work cut down a huge tree by one of the spur lines we use. Pretty accessibly for me by truck, so I went out and cut what I could into rounds and brought it home. SUPER HEAVY/DENSE. Started splitting some by axe this weekend..pretty easy....but i noticed that the color of the wood inside is Yellow! Very yellow, never seen a wood like this before. Probably something junky, but maybe not, want to make sure I'm not going to burn some sort of exotic stuff for firewood. I placed a picture next to a piece of cut/split maple for comparison.

Thanks,

Dow

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Looks like locust

Honey locust would have big nasty thorns on the limbs black doesn't

I think but I could have it backwards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Wow guys thanks!!! I never would have guessed it, never even heard of black locust before. Is it plentiful out here on the west coast? And how long to season once split?

Thanks,
Dow

Split now and burn dry this fall. You'll notice how hard and dry it is as you cut it. Very little moisture.
Wherever there is one, there are others and the roots will try to regenerate once the tree is cut. As they say, one dies and 20 come to the funeral.

That maple is clean...no bugs in there. I split it with my screw splitter, maybe the screw tracks in the wood look like where a bug was gnawing?

Latest posts

Back