What kind of wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicSWC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got a free wood score on a job site. Stacks of "telephone poles" just laying there. My question is what kind of wood it is. Don't have pics yet but a very distinguishing feature of the wood is that it is very yellow when cut. Pieces that have been exposed to the sun have turned a dark brown. The bark is slightly rough. Never saw any wood this yellow before. Any ideas? Thanks

So I got a free wood score on a job site. Stacks of "telephone poles" just laying there. My question is what kind of wood it is. Don't have pics yet but a very distinguishing feature of the wood is that it is very yellow when cut. Pieces that have been exposed to the sun have turned a dark brown. The bark is slightly rough. Never saw any wood this yellow before. Any ideas? Thanks

I think telephone poles are tar soaked pine. It probably would burn good, but it probably wouldn't be very good in the fireplace. It would probably gum up the chinmy with tar!

Sorry, they are not real telephone poles. They clearcut an area and limbed everything. Just stacks of the main trunks of trees, some 20ft. long or more. Just looks like a stack of poles. Thanks

Yellowish in the middle and brown on exposed areas if I didn't know better I would say Mulberry. I think pine is all that I have ever heard them made of, so I second that.

I agree with Mulberry. Love the color when split, and then changing to that brown color.

Last edited:
Blazing yellow when cut than turning to a wonderful molasses color sounds a lot like Mulberry too. Oh. and heavy and dense as all hell. Score !!

Great stuff for the smoker if you got one.

Without pics my guess is poplar trees

i don't think i've EVER seen a mulberry tree grow straight enough to be compared to a "telephone pole":msp_wink:

Back