What kind of wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ClassicSWC

ClassicSWC

ArboristSite Lurker
So I got a free wood score on a job site. Stacks of "telephone poles" just laying there. My question is what kind of wood it is. Don't have pics yet but a very distinguishing feature of the wood is that it is very yellow when cut. Pieces that have been exposed to the sun have turned a dark brown. The bark is slightly rough. Never saw any wood this yellow before. Any ideas? Thanks

Zeus103363

Zeus103363

ArboristSite Operative
So I got a free wood score on a job site. Stacks of "telephone poles" just laying there. My question is what kind of wood it is. Don't have pics yet but a very distinguishing feature of the wood is that it is very yellow when cut. Pieces that have been exposed to the sun have turned a dark brown. The bark is slightly rough. Never saw any wood this yellow before. Any ideas? Thanks

I think telephone poles are tar soaked pine. It probably would burn good, but it probably wouldn't be very good in the fireplace. It would probably gum up the chinmy with tar!

ClassicSWC

ClassicSWC

ArboristSite Lurker
Sorry, they are not real telephone poles. They clearcut an area and limbed everything. Just stacks of the main trunks of trees, some 20ft. long or more. Just looks like a stack of poles. Thanks

Dogsout

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Yellowish in the middle and brown on exposed areas if I didn't know better I would say Mulberry. I think pine is all that I have ever heard them made of, so I second that.

old_soul

old_soul

ArboristSite Operative
Without pics my guess is poplar trees

i don't think i've EVER seen a mulberry tree grow straight enough to be compared to a "telephone pole":msp_wink: