What king of crane/boom is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinsTreeSvc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
16" I beam and the hook slides back and forth on the beam. It turns around 360 degrees and raises and lowers by ram.

Attachments

• crane4.jpg
    crane4.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
  • crane2.jpg
    crane2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
  • crane1.jpg
    crane1.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
I don't know what a HIAB or "brick truck" is, but I'm fairly certain that was a roofing conveyor truck. They back up to a house and hand load the packets of roofing shingles on the bottom and it takes it up to the roof. That one is pretty short.

They are built with fairly weak stands, as they are not expected to carry much weight or experience any torque while loaded lightly.

1695996262502.png

Ok. It's not a HIAB. That device has no articulation point, and the base is too weak.

What is a Hiab?

The Hiab is a type of truck originally designed to lift and transport goods. Hiabs are typically used for loading and unloading containers or other industrial cargo at ports, factories, warehouses, and construction sites. These vehicles are made up of a truck and hydraulic crane combined in one vehicle to make loading and unloading cargo more efficient. The engine of the truck is used to power the hydraulics of the crane, allowing cargo to be transferred smoothly from the vehicle to the drop point without the need for an external crane hire to do the heavy lifting. This makes transporting heavy, industrial cargo incredibly efficient. The flexible arm of the crane can reach into areas that would be otherwise inaccessible, to collect and deliver cargo to any location, even where access is limited.​
How did the Hiab originate?
Invented in 1944 by the Hydrauliska Industri AB company, the HIAB soon after revolutionized the industrial transportation industry. Swedish, entrepreneurial, inventor Eric Sundin had made his living through the production of skis at his first startup business in 1925.​

Latest posts

Back