What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get 3 phase, go VFD. A buzz box can work but you will lose power.

Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) will work but uses power and has to be sized.

VFD needs to be sized too, if not rated for single phase input. Sizing is easy though - any vfd can be run off single phase, and just needs to be 50% larger than the motor used. So a 5hp motor needs a 7.5hp 3ph rated vfd.

Single phase motors lack much needed torque and smoothness for metal finishing. If you're ok with 64+ RA surfaces, that's fine, but you'll never get a 24 or better without manually sanding it post cut.

That's what in scared of, and one of the reasons I'd be ok with something like a Grizzly. If I start researching and learning all this machine stuff, I won't know where to stop!

You're getting some real good advice here, enough I think to keep you grounded. Bring Nik with you or any other seasoned machinist when you go looking, that's probably the most important thing!

When I look at lathes or mills, I run it by Rod (the guy making Weber Custom's handles) -- he's like 5th generation machinist, and did aircraft and prototyping in Kansas for a long time.

A machine might look good to you, but could have worn out ways, or have a bad reputation on the gear box, or obsolete gears (having gears made is doable, but pricey).

The best finds are usually in an old guys basement -- that he's had for 40 years, but kept in great condition, and has low hours. Those deals are out there, and more common than not.

You don't need a lot of tooling either, that can be purchased as you go, or made by you.

I missed a great deal on a South Bend a couple years ago. Retired machinist from California living here, moving back to California to get better care for his wife's cancer. He sold the lathe and probably 8k in tooling and accessories for $1,200.00 :cry:

And that's in Montana, where machine tools are harder to find than in Ohio!

I've seen them go for $300. Saw a $500 last year.
Just gotta keep looking.
ALL the time. And have a trailer, engine hoist, coffee and cash ready.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Why can't I find these things?

SB is usually THE hot ticket.
However. I just paid $250 for a Hardinge mill. UM/TM. Yes I have to do work to make it pretty but it is all there. Add a $400 dollar Bridgeport made vertical head made for the Hardinge and I'm set.
But I looked for a while.
And Brad. Get the Rockwell not the Clausing mill. The Rockwell uses R8 collets..
You know you are going to get carried away........

Yeah...I feel sick now.

Here is what I have:
SB_9_Overall.jpg

Brad, this is what I mean by taking your time and not being in a hurry. This came from the machine reseller in Cincinnati. Advertised as a SB 9". It is...somewhat. It is a Model O (Model oh, not zero), that came just before the Models A, B, and C. According to the serial number was made on Black Thursday 1928. This lathe is all original, came with all those tools you see in the background, is chain driven motor to drive, leather to spindle. All original and in near mint condition. But it will not accept Model A, B, or C accessories. The bed width is the same as the Heavy 10 SB, but the spindle height is Model A-C. It is frustrating too as in the past four years I have only seen one bed turret for this machine on eBay and I missed the auction!!!!
I paid $800 for everything in the photo (except the cabinet), plus a big box of already ground tooling. It came on a pallet bolted to the tabletop. I paid $1275.00 for shipping. Yes, you read that correctly. That's what it cost to get 485 pounds from there to here. Truck to Seattle, barge to Anchorage, truck to the airport, plane to Bethel. But it is worth it. Up and running this machine can do just about anything within the 24" centers. Has 0.002" backlash on the compound but I'm going to work on that.
I built a 4x4 frame, got it leveled up yesterday, and am waiting for some material to arrive from down south to begin playing with it.

Take your time.

I paid $1200.00 for an Atlas horizontal mill in near new condition. Complete with original vise and cast iron thing that bolts to the knee and overhead bar. Fantastic little machine within its limitations.
Two years ago I found a Rusnok milling head to go with this mill. Rebuilt it with new bearings, motor and complete set of collets. Have a bunch of endmills for it too. Another fantastic addition to my 8'x12' porch machine shop.
Have an Atlas drillpress too. :)

Last edited:
VFD needs to be sized too, if not rated for single phase input. Sizing is easy though - any vfd can be run off single phase, and just needs to be 50% larger than the motor used. So a 5hp motor needs a 7.5hp 3ph rated vfd.

Single phase motors lack much needed torque and smoothness for metal finishing. If you're ok with 64+ RA surfaces, that's fine, but you'll never get a 24 or better without manually sanding it post cut.

I meant that a big RPC can run a small machine. But will use a lot of juice.

And don't tell Brad about surface finish. The he will worry about gear vs belt.

Brad needs a Moore drum lathe.......

I don't advise anyone to use RPC's - it's like saying throw out nat gas and go back to coal.

A VFD pays for itself. Mine actually pay me to use them. The more I run them, the longer our new digital electric meter gets tickled, and the cheaper our bill gets. I think the line feedback messes with how the meter reads current, and makes it think we're feeding back more than we're drawing. I'm not about to inform the powco about that though. :D

RPC's have horrible power factors, even when matched to the load - you'll get soaked on your usage.

Another quick fact about VFD's. . . At low RPM the AC motors will get hot -- just the nature of the beast.

Another option for variable speed motors for your small lathe is DC.

You can scavenge for a treadmill nobody wants anymore, and take off the speed control and transformer.

A 2hp DC treadmill motor will make way more torque thru the RPM ranges than AC would ever hope to make! They'll also build less heat, and are waaaay cheaper to have rebuilt!

Even if you had to offer them $150-$300 for the treadmill, small VFD's start at around $500.

:msp_smile:

Back