What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7827 MONARCH Model 10EE 12" x 20" Lathe | eBay

Kinda surprised no one mentioned these yet. It's hugely popular with machinists.

Chatter is also an indication of vibration in the part. Sometimes the only way to eliminate it is with damping. I use a rubber bungie strap on atv clutches, otherwise they "sing."

That looks like a "fixer-upper". The noob wants a "plug and play"

10EEs will work 3 shift a day production for YEARS. but you have to watch the drives. Many and varied. 4HP.

When I got a new HLVH for the shop it was $35,000. The 10EE was $48,000. Plus $4,500 for the upgraded paint job!!!!!!

Hardinge are THE easiest lathe in the world to thread on. Bar none. Spoils you rotten.

One of each is the bees knees. An HLVH and a 10EE.

The pair today will run north of $150,000. Without tooling.
$2,500 for a new set of Hardinge collets. At least.

But hard to justify. ;-))

Should we start talking mill here or you going to start a separate thread????

Not yet. Wait 'till he finds out how frustrating/limiting it is running a lathe without a leadscrew and manual everything. Then we can start a new thread about buying a small(ish) lathe on a budget with leadscrew and power crossfeed.

Precision Drill Presses, Drilling/Tapping Units and Hydraulically Controlled Air Cylinders from Electro-Mechano in Wisconsin note the Rusnok mill on the left side middle page.

Or here: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/75380965/RUSNOK-MILL-ACCESSORIES

Last edited:
It's also way outside my stated budget.

I got my SBL heavy 10 on ebay for 385 bucks. Drove to upper Mich and picked it up. Got it home and sold the box of extra parts that came with it that i didn't know about when i bought it for 400 bucks. Still have the lathe and a few more hundred bucks of new parts so from what i see it was free. Just some driving time.
My SBL 15" was 300 and i did some machining for the guy of some new parts and ended up giving him 40 bucks cash and hauled it 6 miles home. Then turned around a week later and bought the sister of that lathe for 200. Sold some of it for parts and kept most of it for extras for mine. NE Ohio is the dumping grounds for lathes seems like there are piles of them. My buddy gets so many some of them he just scraps (when scrap was 300 a ton) I have 5 and my basement won't hold anymore. He called a few days ago with another good deal and my wife got the phone. Yup won't be getting that one...Bob

I got my SBL heavy 10 on ebay for 385 bucks. Drove to upper Mich and picked it up. Got it home and sold the box of extra parts that came with it that i didn't know about when i bought it for 400 bucks. Still have the lathe and a few more hundred bucks of new parts so from what i see it was free. Just some driving time.
My SBL 15" was 300 and i did some machining for the guy of some new parts and ended up giving him 40 bucks cash and hauled it 6 miles home. Then turned around a week later and bought the sister of that lathe for 200. Sold some of it for parts and kept most of it for extras for mine. NE Ohio is the dumping grounds for lathes seems like there are piles of them. My buddy gets so many some of them he just scraps (when scrap was 300 a ton) I have 5 and my basement won't hold anymore. He called a few days ago with another good deal and my wife got the phone. Yup won't be getting that one...Bob

Bob, hook Brad up! You should go with him and Nik to go scout some lathes. :clap:

I've got Heavy 10 that was given to me, tooling and everything. Took all my Bobcat 310 could give just to get it unloaded and in the garage. Well, later I come to find out the bull gear is missing a tooth and the chuck is stuck on the spindle:cry:. Still, 200 bucks for a new bull gear isn't too bad. Now if I can just get the 3 jaw chuck off the spindle I can start playing.

hmm,,, Ill be honest just came back for the night but I am a Licenced machinist by trade. The table top junk is for gunsmiths etc.. guys who machine small parts under 1" You want a toolroom lathe which is slightly bigger but has the capacity for larger parts / more feeds/speeds. The best lathes around are german made imo but get what you can find. The toolrom lathes usually have an 6"-8" chuck and come with 220-660volt motors. You get what you pay for the same as saws so choose wisely.

Table top junk for gunsmiths???

Do you know what kind of precision and accuracy is needed to create a competitive benchrest rifle??

Do you know what kind of precision and accuracy is needed to create a competitive benchrest rifle??

Yeah John, what do you know about guns and lathes:msp_wink:. I really think you guys are over-selling Brad on an old iron lathe. Look what Randy and Stump are turning out with chinese junk. You don't need the kind of precision for cutting cylinders that you do when you are turning a helicopter parts.

Nope he doesn't. Ol man Hart would just chuckle.

Virgil King would laugh out loud. A couple of tenths bolt to receiver.

Ever read "The Houston Warehouse" in Precision Shooting Magazine?

About 4 orders above what most people even realize.

Consistent sub .060 groups.

I could tell the whole truth but no one would believe me.

Last edited:
Yeah John, what do you know about guns and lathes:msp_wink:. I really think you guys are over-selling Brad on an old iron lathe. Look what Randy and Stump are turning out with chinese junk. You don't need the kind of precision for cutting cylinders that you do when you are turning a helicopter parts.

With aircraft. Al long as it's perfect, don't worry. ;-))

I believe you are right, but...........Rob's playing to my personality. I'll be much happier if I wait and find a good, solid, Hardinge. I definately appreciate quality. I know that at least four of our sponsors are using Chinese lathes. They will certainly do the job, no doubt about that. But then again, it's much more rewarding to own top quality tools. The challenge is to make that happen in a cost efficient manner!

I believe you are right, but...........Rob's playing to my personality. I'll be much happier if I wait and find a good, solid, Hardinge. I definately appreciate quality. I know that at least four of our sponsors are using Chinese lathes. They will certainly do the job, no doubt about that. But then again, it's much more rewarding to own top quality tools. The challenge is to make that happen in a cost efficient manner!

You missed it B-Rad.....

A SB would be great and fit in your basement.

Mom & Pop shops in WW II made a major part of the parts that won the war. Millions ave and make everything on them. Brad just seems to find a number of Hardinge.

248530d1344915340-2012-08-059517-08-35-jpg
248529d1344915331-2012-07-259523-11-03-jpg
yeah chinese lathes just cant do the job ,huh? View attachment 248529View attachment 248530

Last edited:
Back