What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I avoid using solid carbide when milling aluminum for that very reason, Hanita and International Mini-Cut make much better HSS/CO endmills. In production milling I've used a 1" mini-cut, full diameter, 1/2" DOC, 4000 RPM and 40 IPM. Sounds like pop-corn.

I agree. Jammed HSS would have possibly just tripped the table servos. It was the only 5/16 bull nose I had though and it had to be that size to miss other features. Now I have none and I need to go over over my tram again:bang:

Even on my BP I'm amazed how fast and deep can push quality 1/2 and 3/4 hss though aluminum. I really should try corn cob roughers - I have a bunch but never seen to get around to using them.

Last edited:
Wow, what can I say!!! A HUGE thanks to my great friend Rob, Stihl 041S, for this incredible "care package". It's like Christmas in September:rock: I'm now a member of the "Giant Dial Indicator Club":)

IMG9408-L.jpg

You understand about non rotating now. And the two file cleaners in the picture.

Drills aren't carbide. But first choice for most work.

135 deg split point M-42 Cobalt.

Takes abuse and less interface and point pressure than standard drills and a few points harder.

Sorry for the machinist babble. Working exotics for years and you are always looking.

Like for the elusive T-15 drills.

Still babbling aren't I. Maybe there should be a "Machinist babble thread". Keep us off the streets.....

...Maybe there should be a "Machinist babble thread". Keep us off the streets.....

That's pretty much what this whole thread has been. It's like my understanding of Spanish: I speak enough to know when I am being talked about, but not enough to understand the whole conversation. But I just keep telling myself: Self, you didn't know diddly about saws either 5 years ago, so there is hope.

That's pretty much what this whole thread has been. It's like my understanding of Spanish: I speak enough to know when I am being talked about, but not enough to understand the whole conversation. But I just keep telling myself: Self, you didn't know diddly about saws either 5 years ago, so there is hope.

Always learning.

I'll say it again;

You know you are a machinist when you know 10% of what you THOUGHT you knew 10 years ago.

I just found out about deep trepaning and the HP required a couple of years ago. Hadn't heard of it. And I been at this 30+ years. (that makes me seem not quite so old)

Now THIS is a boring bar holder:

Big_Bar_Holder_1.jpg

This is a clever design:

Big_Bar_Holder_2.jpg

It is 3" diameter 8 1/2 pounds and the tool height is 1.450" so far too large for my lathe. My tool height is 1" exactly and the compound is 2.35" across. Ssssoooo...I think I can copy this one easily enough out of 4140 annealed? Boring bar holes are 3/4", 5/8" and 1/2".

Now THIS is a boring bar holder:

Big_Bar_Holder_1.jpg

This is a clever design:

Big_Bar_Holder_2.jpg

It is 3" diameter 8 1/2 pounds and the tool height is 1.450" so far too large for my lathe. My tool height is 1" exactly and the compound is 2.35" across. Ssssoooo...I think I can copy this one easily enough out of 4140 annealed? Boring bar holes are 3/4", 5/8" and 1/2".

Cut the bottom off till it is the right height.

Bingo!!! Bar on center. And rigid!!

No compound toolholder flex.

One can be made using drills and endmills in the chuck.

Last edited:
My instructor used to talk about the trepanning work he did. As in 10" diameter cores from a 14" shaft. He was an old timer from Special Metals in Huntington, WV. SM is what became of International Nickel / Inco Alloys. For most those names mean nothing, but as the worlds leader in high nickel alloy steel I can say for sure the developments made by that company have affected most Americans lives. Inconel was developed in that facility and is still one of the finest heat resistant alloys made. The metal finds uses in the extreme environment of aviation powerplants where it is used for the blades in turbojet engines. Our class was allowed a tour of the operation. I saw things happen in there that description would not do justce. Had to be seen to be believed. Good stuff.

Inconel 600 (200) near pure nickel. Used for HT ovens and vacuum furnaces.

Inconel X-750. 50RC at 50% cold work and headed and machined wonderfully.

Inconel MADE the aircraft industry.

I would love to tour that plant.

Just wanted to report, finally got to try out my new homemade HD boring bar, works really great, no chatter like before with the tiny one I had, tested it out today on a 7900 cyl.

254553d1348802289-p1050693-jpg

Trepanning

Had to look it up....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6HfkcqRe5xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back