What made these cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I scored a free cord of seasond red oak this weekend and i have never seen cuts like this before. My neighbor and i think its some type of buzz saw.
PICT0431.jpg

Looks like a hydroaxe that they use when they do land clearing i just got some and it looked the same i was there when he cut it for me in sections

circular saw blade, big one. Most teeth take about 1/2" to an inch at a time and they leave a "line' for each bite and I'm thinking because the teeth aren't perfectly true.
I would assume from a processor or a slasher to cut the tree into useable lengths.
Feller bunchers also leave similar markings on stumps.

should have said that every piece is like this not just a few out of the bunch.

i couldnt imagine anyone bucked a bunch of trees into firewood length with anything other than a chainsaw?
maybe a wild thang with some crazy hand sharpening skills on the cutters after rocking it several times?

i couldnt imagine anyone bucked a bunch of trees into firewood length with anything other than a chainsaw?
maybe a wild thang with some crazy hand sharpening skills on the cutters after rocking it several times?

I've seen guys take a half million dollar tree processor ,set the length at 24", and cut a whole pile of trees into firewood very quickly:chainsawguy:

circular saw blade, big one. Most teeth take about 1/2" to an inch at a time and they leave a "line' for each bite and I'm thinking because the teeth aren't perfectly true.
I would assume from a processor or a slasher to cut the tree into useable lengths.
Feller bunchers also leave similar markings on stumps.

Bang on. Big circular blade processor. I use 404 harvester chain and the marks are not that aggressive.

Could this have been a big processor that uses a shear to chomp the wood to length. I got a bundle this summer that looked like that but all the fibers were torn looking not really cut looking.

A Chuck Norris roundhouse kick would vaporize that piece of wood. If he showed mercy and just chopped it with his hand it may make marks like in the picture.

its not a circular saw blade, the marks would all be paralel to each other and slightly curved, i say feller buncher too.

You say thats already seasoned ? It doesnt look seasoned to me, it looks like its been on the ground for awhile and just now bucked. I dont see any cracks from the drying process.

Back