What makes a 797 Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Al could make a 10-10 out of steel wool.

Depending on length of season and type of wood sawn, 797s were re-ringed every year or when you noticed you were losing the "snap". Those long bucking cuts take a lot out of a saw, particularly the big Douglas Firs. Every time I think about bucking Redwood, I turn my head to spit, the bark is way nasty.

Another languishing project is back on the rails.

Got the bottom end all done this morning. Hope to run it this weekend.
attachment.php

View attachment 275131

Last edited:
I have some odds and ends to work on here in the shop, but the next one to go deep on is a 797 from Rik. After that, I'm splitting the third into 2 builds; 101b in the 797 chassis, Super 797 in a 1-53 :msp_scared:.

I have some odds and ends to work on here in the shop, but the next one to go deep on is a 797 from Rik. After that, I'm splitting the third into 2 builds; 101b in the 797 chassis, Super 797 in a 1-53 :msp_scared:.

Those will be interesting builds. Can't wait to see.
I would like to do something in a Mac 15 chassis.

Lee

Well, she's ready to run tomorrow.

The new rings showed 130psi after squirting some mix in there and turning it over with the drill. I expect after running it a few times that it will settle in at about 140. Not what I was hoping for, but it'll have to do.

I took the Mother's to the guard inside the clutch cover, the wrap handle brace, and the hood (always a sign the saw is fully modified for timber cutting, except this one's not :D).

attachment.php

Thing's as long as I am tall (6') and about as heavy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 275777

View attachment 275773

View attachment 275772

View attachment 275771

Saweeeeeeeeeeeet, God i love them 797's.
I bet comp. will rise more after a couple tanks of fuel.
I've never done a comp test so not sure where they
should be but knowing you really need the decomp
i would guess they are near the 180 mark. Thats where
a few of my 125's are at. Just never tested a 797.
I can if you like.

Lee

You can if you feel like, Lee. The one Rik sent me that I'm doing next is at 165. The 125 and the karts show 185.

Sorry it took so long Charles. Just had some time in the shop today.
I checked a reg 797 with a fresh .030 over at 165 and should get better.
and a Super 797 thats an old woods saw at 155

Lee

Thanks Lee. I started it a couple times to make sure nothing's loose. Tue. it'll see some cutting, then I'll check and see where we're at.

Put about a half tank through it before the 4' bar wore me out...

I'll run it some this weekend with a 30"er, but I checked after it cooled off and the compression was at 125, about what it was before the rings.

I don't know why. The other Super block needs to be bored, maybe I'll have this one done at that time as well, but for now I'm done with it. On to the next one.

Back