What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good! And it should not take 10 pulls at 40*, Is your 346 hard to start as well or just the 372?

I push the primer bulb 2 times and my 346xp NE starts on the 2nd pull. Maybe the carb on my the 372xp should be checked at my dealer. I never took the saw back from new. I think most times they come set quite rich.

I push the primer bulb 2 times and my 346xp NE starts on the 2nd pull. Maybe the carb on my the 372xp should be checked at my dealer. I never took the saw back from new. I think most times they come set quite rich.

If your using the same gas as in the 346, Get your carb checked out or do a search here and do it yourself

I would check the tune on those huskies if they won't start and be running on less than 5 pulls. My 372 can sit for a month at a time and will start in 4-5 pulls. The 066 is the same. The 2153 takes 5 pulls or less when using the primer.

More run time

Well, I've put a dozen or so tanks through the 346. Don't know if it's getting stronger or I'm just learning to use its particular powerband more efficiently...but, the little dude screams! Cut a pickup load of seasoned Locust today. A lot of it was in the 10-12" diameter range. Saw did great in this stuff.

For now, I'm happy enough with the way it runs to overlook the other little gripes I have with it. I will say though that it was a little disconcerting to find some fines inside the air filter...the fleece filter too. I didn't see any in the carb throat, just inside the filter. The seal around the edge looked good but I'll smear some grease on to see if that helps.

Well, I've put a dozen or so tanks through the 346. Don't know if it's getting stronger or I'm just learning to use its particular powerband more efficiently...but, the little dude screams! Cut a pickup load of seasoned Locust today. A lot of it was in the 10-12" diameter range. Saw did great in this stuff.

For now, I'm happy enough with the way it runs to overlook the other little gripes I have with it. I will say though that it was a little disconcerting to find some fines inside the air filter...the fleece filter too. I didn't see any in the carb throat, just inside the filter. The seal around the edge looked good but I'll smear some grease on to see if that helps.

If it persists after the grease try a little bit of filter oil. I am yet to see much get past my Husky 353 filter(s) and they're the same setup.

I would check the tune on those huskies if they won't start and be running on less than 5 pulls. My 372 can sit for a month at a time and will start in 4-5 pulls. The 066 is the same. The 2153 takes 5 pulls or less when using the primer.

5 pulls sounds like too much to me as well, if the saw takes that many regularly.

we have a ne346 and to be honest it just bugs the crap out of me, every time I fill it and get it sharp, the boss grabs it and it comes back empty and blunt, this saw sucks so I'm buying myself a Stihl ms261

I've read on here that it's hard to stand upright with it so I'm hoping it works ok laying down.

I can't believe I've just read this entire post in one go, my head hurts

Update: Still using the little beast. I really enjoy its throttle response and nimbleness. Just like I thought. Though it hurts nothing, it drives me nutty that the thing is always tipping over...and even nuttier trying to get my screwdriver into the H and L screw slots while the thing is running. I'm betting a different screwdriver will take care of that. The pull start handle is in the way of tuning too.

Those are nitpicks though. Oh, and the oil filler cap broke...the pieces on top that you grab on to. I prefer the Stihl style flip caps too...and, over all.....I personally like the engineering on the Stihl saws better. That said, from what little I have seen of the new Husky's, they look to be improved.

Back