What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it will magically gain a wider and torqueier powerband, erasing my desire for more cubes in the bigger wood??

Just razz'n ya!:msp_wink:

Once you got a desire for a 372, there is no erasing it... At least not that I've found...
:hell_boy:

You'll need both...

Due to having a lot of left over firewood last winter, I don't know that I've put quite a dozen tanks through this 346 yet. Maybe, maybe not. That's soon to change soon though as I have almost no wood for next winter.

At any rate, I'm really liking this little saw for 10" and under stuff. Fantastic throttle response. Revs fast. Fun to use. Nice vibration control. Super filtration...compared to my old 260. As mentioned before though, it seems more finicky to a tune...and it's a pain to have to tune in the wood with its limited coil. Also takes a while to warm up compared to what I'm used to...though that's just an observation, not a gripe. Starts easy...though I'm still not entirely used to the choke control. And the powerband seems narrow. Kept on the pipe and it screams. Not always easy to do in some of the bigger wood though, I'm finding.

That said, if a homeowner firewood cutter, such as myself, who only wanted one saw, were to ask me which saw I'd recommend between the 346 and 261, I'd tell'em not to spend any money until they tried both. If they could not try both, and didn't mind the bit extra weight, I'd say go for the 261 based on everything I've read and pieced together. Does that mean I regret the purchase of my 346? No. It means that it makes me want a second saw with more cubic inches that much more....so I could use the 346 for what I feel it excels at: small stuff and limbing applications.

I'm more tempted than ever to break down and get a 372 to compliment this 346.
An unlimited coil and a muffler mod, and your opinion will change significantly. The 346 has no lack of torque when setup properly.

An unlimited coil and a muffler mod, and your opinion will change significantly. The 346 has no lack of torque when setup properly.

The muffler is done but I have yet to install an unlimited coil. Waiting to find a decent deal on an OEM unit. A member here was going to send me one but I guess he changed his mind.

Anyone have a used unlimited OEM coil they'd make me a deal on?

I looked at the 346Xp the other day at my dealer, the first thing I saw was a primer bulb. Really?? Imho i dont think a professional level saw should have one. What is the reason most of the new huskys are coming out with them?

I like primer bulbs. A 346 will start in two pulls when primed. I started my FS 85 trimmer in two pulls this past weekend. It hadn't been started since October of last year and still had the same gas (E10 with Ultra).

I like primer bulbs. A 346 will start in two pulls when primed. I started my FS 85 trimmer in two pulls this past weekend. It hadn't been started since October of last year and still had the same gas (E10 with Ultra).

At first I didn't really like the 'idea' of primer bulbs on a saw. But my Stihl "professional level" FS110 trimmer has one, as do a couple of my pro Huskys. Quick starts and no problems. Hell, now I like em! :D

All saws should have one. I love it on my 346xp. Your rewind will last that much longer. Most all of my huskys take 8-10 pulls to start. They may not start the best but I will not switch to anything else. Keep in mind I do not use my saws every day.

Last edited:
All saws should should have one. I love it on my 346xp. Your rewind will last that much longer. Most all of my huskys take 8-10 pulls to start. They may not start the best but I will not switch to anything else.

8-10 pulls is a lot (even without a primer), if that is what usually happens.......

Thats funny! Both my Dolmars will start in 2 to 3 pulls after sitting for 3 or four mounths and they dont have a primer bulb!

Which Dolmars are those? None of mine will do so.

My Dolmar 420 and 120si, start right away. The 120si would start on the first pull. Two of the best starting saws I have ever seen. The 120si has a new owner now. The Makita 6401 takes 3-4 pulls.

My friend has a Husqvarna 359 and 372. I was cutting with him they took 15 pulls to start. Shut it off and it would be another 10-15.

gg

My Dolmar 420 and 120si, start right away. The 120si would start on the first pull. Two of the best starting saws I have ever seen. The 120si has a new owner now. The Makita 6401 takes 3-4 pulls.

My friend has a Husqvarna 359 and 372. I was cutting with him they took 15 pulls to start. Shut it off and it would be another 10-15.

gg

There's something wrong with that saw and theres something wrong with you if you dont know that.
My 359 starts in 3pulls everytime.

I guess I must have got a good 372xp it starts with 8-10 pulls when cold but it is not broke in yet. I should use it more but my all time favorite is the 346xp. It does most all my work and I can carry it all day and not get tired.

I guess I must have got a good 372xp it starts with 8-10 pulls when cold but it is not broke in yet. I should use it more but my all time favorite is the 346xp. It does most all my work and I can carry it all day and not get tired.

What temps are you in??? It should not take that many pulls unless your yankin on that thing like a grandma:msp_unsure:

What temps are you in??? It should not take that many pulls unless your yankin on that thing like a grandma:msp_unsure:

Its about 40 here know. I am 55 years old and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. Hell my father is 81 years old and he still cuts with me. We have good genetics I guess.

Its about 40 here know. I am 55 years old and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. Hell my father is 81 years old and he still cuts with me. We have good genetics I guess.

Well good! And it should not take 10 pulls at 40*, Is your 346 hard to start as well or just the 372?

Back