What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 3-4 tanks through my 346XP today, and 1 tank through my MS261. When it comes to cutting and egine performance, I can tell no difference. Both ran absolutely perfectly. It just comes down to feel for me with the 346 coming out on top. It has nothing to do with balance either. It's the grip size and angles that make the difference for me.

I put 3-4 tanks through my 346XP today, and 1 tank through my MS261. When it comes to cutting and egine performance, I can tell no difference. Both ran absolutely perfectly. It just comes down to feel for me with the 346 coming out on top. It has nothing to do with balance either. It's the grip size and angles that make the difference for me.

I completely agree. I am not brand loyal at all. The sole reason for my 346XP purchase was handling.

Thanks. But didn't you mention earlier that neither your 261 nor 346 are stock? If that is the case, would your impressions be the same if both saws were in their stock form (assuming you have run them both stock)?

Thanks. But didn't you mention earlier that neither your 261 nor 346 are stock? If that is the case, would your impressions be the same if both saws were in their stock form (assuming you have run them both stock)?

Yes, both are significantly modified. Both are very strong runners stock, with an edge going to the 261. Things I do prefer about the 261 are the inboard clutch and the best air filter on the market, IMHO.

Yes, both are significantly modified. Both are very strong runners stock, with an edge going to the 261. Things I do prefer about the 261 are the inboard clutch and the best air filter on the market, IMHO.

Thanks. Have you by chance weighed both saws with the same bar lengths?

Specs show the 261 a full pound heavier but I don't trust specs.

The inboard clutch is nice in some ways, but it really destoys the handling of a 50cc saw, as it puts the bar too far from the centre of mass. The air filtration is overkill under most conditions. ;)

I have an Ms 261 IMO it's an awesome saw. I've never ran a 346xp but people tend to think they shine for limbing. I think my 261 seems like a bigger saw than 50cc, but it was also my first pro saw.

I have an Ms 261 IMO it's an awesome saw. I've never ran a 346xp but people tend to think they shine for limbing. I think my 261 seems like a bigger saw than 50cc, but it was also my first pro saw.

"Seems like a bigger saw" is what I believe is the problem with that saw - it simply isn't built like a 50cc saw should be, in my opinion. ;)

The inboard clutch is nice in some ways, but it really destoys the handling of a 50cc saw, as it puts the bar too far from the centre of mass. The air filtration is overkill under most conditions. ;)

That might be true in theory, but it doesn't play out in real life in my hands. I see issue at all with the handling of the MS261. Matter of fact, I welcome the idea of an inboard clutch 346XP. It's one of the few things about the saw I don't like.

The highly efficient 261 air filter would be a major selling point over here, we don't all cut lush green wood.
I cant comment on the 346XP, I've never used one :msp_smile:

The outboard clutch set up is what has kept me from getting too deep in the Husky line.

I do have a 262XP on the shelf that I'm not sure what to do with yet. Have considered selling it and a rebuilt 026 to fund a 261.

Have been kicking about the 346 vs 261 thing for a few months.

Just called my local dealer today for a number on a couple of saws. One of them was a 261.

That might be true in theory, but it doesn't play out in real life in my hands. I see issue at all with the handling of the MS261. Matter of fact, I welcome the idea of an inboard clutch 346XP. It's one of the few things about the saw I don't like.

Well, it would be no fun if we all agreed on everything here! :msp_biggrin:

It mostly matters when limbing, not when you just are cutting up logs. Limbing is by far the most time consuming part of harvesting trees here. :cheers:

Well, it would be no fun if we all agreed on everything here! :msp_biggrin:

It mostly matters when limbing, not when you just are cutting up logs. Limbing is by far the most time consuming part of harvesting trees here. :cheers:

Glad you took it that way:clap: But I seriously do consider the outboard clutch thing WAY over rated:)

Glad you took it that way:clap: But I seriously do consider the outboard clutch thing WAY over rated:)
It simply is a trade-off for better handling, an inboard sure is more convenient when changing rims back and forth, as you don't need to knock the clutch drum off.......

Is it possible that an outboard clutch would reduce the appearent high numbers of melted plastic crankcases? I saw three newly melted, newer stihls yesterday, with three sad and puzzled owners.
I went outside to LMAO.

Is it possible that an outboard clutch would reduce the appearent high numbers of melted plastic crankcases? I saw three newly melted, newer stihls yesterday, with three sad and puzzled owners.
I went outside to LMAO.

You have no right to be here Randy as this thread is clearly about saws under 6 cubes...

Plastic on saws? You wouldn't have even heard of such rubbish...

Latest posts

Back