What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) ...... The size and weight differences between it and the 261 were pretty obvious to me. The handle angles seemed much different too. Couple other things stuck out in my mind...the air filter and controls.

2) The controls (choke, etc). Compared to Stihls, the Husky stuff looks cheap and feels flimsy to me. Have there been any issues with this stuff?

3) I want better anti-vibe than my 260...and I want a better air filter. However, I'm not sure I really want to be packn' and tossn' around the heavier 261 if the 346 filter and anti-vibe system is light years ahead of my 260. Thoughts?

1) Yes, it is!

2) No!

3) Yes!

There are three different filters for the 346. There is a felt filter for the dustiest of conditions. Yes, the 346 is light years ahead of the 260 IMHO. The MS261 is only 9 oz heavier than the 346.

Imo, 9 oz is a lot on a 50cc saw, unless you just use it for bucking logs.

Well, in a big surprise today, I discovered a new Husky dealer in town and they just happened to have a 346! I finally got to hold a 346! The size and weight differences between it and the 261 were pretty obvious to me. The handle angles seemed much different too. Couple other things stuck out in my mind...the air filter and controls.

Regarding the air filter, the top was plastic and the underside was mesh. I cut a variety of stuff. How does it do in dry dusty wood? Does Husky offer other and better filters? How much money?

The controls (choke, etc). Compared to Stihls, the Husky stuff looks cheap and feels flimsy to me. Have there been any issues with this stuff?

I want better anti-vibe than my 260...and I want a better air filter. However, I'm not sure I really want to be packn' and tossn' around the heavier 261 if the 346 filter and anti-vibe system is light years ahead of my 260. Thoughts?

The Husky filter is fine, my 10 year old 346 still has the original mesh filter. I also have a felt filter to use for nasty, dusty wood.

The 346 controls are fine. Very easy to operate. Never had a problem.

The anti-vibe on the 346 is silky smooth.

9 oz makes a difference in this size saw.

My old 346 rides in the back of the pickup, or in the bucket of a tractor, not in a saw case, has been worked hard and shown no mercy. I do take care of it and it has never let me down. Fun to run also.:)

It's time for you to go get a saw. Either one will do you well. :msp_wink:

The Husky filter is fine, my 10 year old 346 still has the original mesh filter. I also have a felt filter to use for nasty, dusty wood.

The 346 controls are fine. Very easy to operate. Never had a problem.

The anti-vibe on the 346 is silky smooth.

9 oz makes a difference in this size saw.

My old 346 rides in the back of the pickup, or in the bucket of a tractor, not in a saw case, has been worked hard and shown no mercy. I do take care of it and it has never let me down. Fun to run also.:)

It's time for you to go get a saw. Either one will do you well. :msp_wink:

I agree:rock:

The controls are durable and easy to use- I recently bought 6-346's to go with the 3 I already have, and not one of them have any issue with the function of the control levers.

The plastic/mesh filter is all I have run and they do a sufficient job.

The 346 is definitely a step up from the 026/260 in terms of power and handling. It may be slightly down from the 261 in the power department.

In reference to limbing- maybe limbing has different (obviously it does) have different meanings. When I see pics of limbing on some trees, I see larger limbs that have few small limbs branching off, adn the tree may not have a limb for the first 20". A 4" limb may only need two or three smaller limbs removed to be cleaned. The oak I cut is full of small stuff that starts at eye level. A 4" limb may need 10, 15, maybe 20 additional limbs trimmed bf it gets too small to bother with. Additionally, the trunk may have a limb every foot or so. Most of these are small and are just nipped off, but the number of them really add up. When you are making this many cuts every ounce you are swinging adds up. In a day's work, 8oz extra amounts to a lot extra weight to lift. If the power is sufficient for what you need and the feel is better, then why tote the extra weight? When I go to a tree I usually carry two saws. I will drop it with the larger saw, grab the 346 to limb it and make the first bucking cuts on the limbs and top of the trunk, and then use whatever I used to fell with to finish the bucking. I usually try to drop several trees close together and process them at the same time- drop them all, limb them all, then buck them.

I appreciate the additional replies, all. Very helpful! I know it's a horse that's been beaten before but as I mentioned earlier, there's so much wading to get to the answers in older posts and even then, often times I don't see what I'm looking for. Plus, I know you guys love talking about this stuff. C'mon and admit it!:)

Re the weight difference. I'm not picking sides here but 9 ounces is your typical can of soup PLUS a Snickers bar. Imagine that can of soup and Snickers bar attached to the 346 operated by a smaller agile dude who by nature moves fast who's cutting, swinging and limbn' all day. I'm betting any guy that fits that description would like to have that can of soup and Snickers off there!

That said, I'm still open to the 261. It seems to have been established that its filter is much better than the 346. Is the 261 anti-vibe that much better too...or just a smidgen or a toss up? Final question (for now;)). Will a simple muffler mod put the 346 closer to the bit extra power the 261 might have?

I bet that a MM346 will out cut a stock 261 by a noticeable amount. When I first got me first 346 I tested it in some oak that ~12"dia. I think the cuts were about 2 seconds quicker after the MM.
Here is the link with some other saws thrown in----post 1 and 13 are pertinent to your question--this 346 was brand new, straight out of the box. I made a few cuts, shot the first vid and the modded the muffler. The muffler is now even more open than the .5" I referenced-it is the size of the 288 deflector.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/129929.htm

BTW, the 262 was rich. It will definitely pull better than the 361. I'm guessing it would be a good 1-2 seconds quicker in the same sized wood. I need to drag a few saws out and do another one of these--I would like to see how the 359 with a MM/lowered squish does as well as the 261/262 with a MM/lowered squish would compare.

I appreciate the additional replies, all. Very helpful! I know it's a horse that's been beaten before but as I mentioned earlier, there's so much wading to get to the answers in older posts and even then, often times I don't see what I'm looking for. Plus, I know you guys love talking about this stuff. C'mon and admit it!:)

Re the weight difference. I'm not picking sides here but 9 ounces is your typical can of soup PLUS a Snickers bar. Imagine that can of soup and Snickers bar attached to the 346 operated by a smaller agile dude who by nature moves fast who's cutting, swinging and limbn' all day. I'm betting any guy that fits that description would like to have that can of soup and Snickers off there!

That said, I'm still open to the 261. It seems to have been established that its filter is much better than the 346. Is the 261 anti-vibe that much better too...or just a smidgen or a toss up? Final question (for now;)). Will a simple muffler mod put the 346 closer to the bit extra power the 261 might have?

I sure would not want a can of soup and a snicker bar stuck to my 346xp.:msp_biggrin:

I hear the 261 filter is better, but the 346xp filter has been better than most for a long, long time.

MS 261 vs.

The Stihl is a PRO saw, designed to work every day and hold up.

If you want to save a few dollars and are not in the pro class try the new MS 271 or MS 280, both under 13 lbs.

Husky??? for me never. If you can buy it on the internet, what dealer will want to do service only if you can buy the saw for less than his cost.

Domar??? Owned by the same company as Husky.

If you want to save a few dollars and are not in the pro class try the new MS 271 or MS 280, both under 13 lbs.

Husky??? for me never. If you can buy it on the internet, what dealer will want to do service only if you can buy the saw for less than his cost.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Andyshine77
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree with this. I have been running husky's for 30 + years and never needed my local dealer but it was nice to know he was there for me if I needed him. I do stop and talk to him once in awhile because he gets lonely like a maytag repairman.

Dolmar is owned by the Makita corporation. They have been since the mid 90's (if memory serves me correctly).
If Huskys could be purchased for less than dealer cost on the internet, wouldnt dealers buy saws from the same source as the internet consumer?

Blah, Blah, Blah:potstir:

Thanks for the extra info guys. Some where in my search here, I ran across a post referring to a 346 replacement in the works (550 if I remember correctly).

Anyone know anything about this? I don't want to purchase a saw only to find out the improved version is soon coming for a few bucks more.

Latest posts

Back