what mcculloch models have enough grunt to pull a 36" bar and chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sir SUCK Major Time!!!!!! That is a score of a lifetime for free?!?! Are you kidding me? I would give my left arm(well almost), for a big McC! I am still looking. Somewhere here in the PNW there is a barn waiting for me to find it's yellow treasure! From what I have studied, the big McC's tho a tad smaller in cc's than an 090, can out grunt one. I would like to find out firsthand; one on these days......:rock:

Last edited:
You sir SUCK Major Time!!!!!! That is a score of a lifetime for free?!?! Are you kidding me? Inwould give my left arm(well almost), for a big McC! I am still looking. Somewhere here in the PNW there is a barn waiting for me to find it's yellow treasure! From what I have studied, the big McC's tho a tad smaller in cc's than an 090, can out grunt one. I would like to find out firsthand; one on these days......:rock:

i did get that mac for free. was from my father in law. i know of 2 090 av's right now i'm working on getting from a guy. one runs good and the other has no spark. they are the 137cc ones. he is hesitant but i think i can get him to sell them. you will definitely see pics on AS if i do.

Last edited:
Yep, You definately blew the suck"o"meter of the charts.
The CP125 doe's have points and is 123cc's. One of Mac's
best muscle saws back in the day.
Good luck on getting her going.

Lee

Man! Posts like this really make me hate my life. Hahaha

Sorry for the lack of pics and the size of them just it takes forever to upload and i am just learning. How long does it take for your guys pics to upload? Also if somebody could tell sme the difference between the cp125 and the sp125 that would be sweet. Is it just the av.even though there is some av on this saw it still is pretty hurt'n av. I'm gonna get around to pulling it apart tonight. I'm hoping it's just something seized or stiff in the starter recoil. The piston and rings don't even have any corrosion or rust on them but i haven't taken a real close look in it yet. The cylinder may be a mass of rust. Sitting in a damp environment all those years i wouldn't doubt it.

CP had bridged exhaust, SP didn't.

Some CPs had thick ring pistons, no SPs did.

CP intake had single reed, SP had 2 like the 797s.

CP intake mating face on block is sloped like all Mac blocks, SP was unique.

CP and early SPs had borable iron lined blocks, late SPs (c) were chrome lined.

CP ports are a little higher, hence a little higher rpm powerband than SPs.

CP had side decomp venting to exhaust port, SP had push button in the head.

CP didn't have a boost port, SP did.

CP has holes in air filter cover, SP didn't.

CP and early SPs had fully adjustable carbs, later SPs had fixed high jets.

CP had semi-rigid lower av at the oiler tank (these are hard to find), SP had full floating av.

Last one I'm not sure about... SPs had the 5 degree flywheel, I'm not sure the CP did.

Last edited:

CP didn't a boost port, SP did.

CP had semi-rigid lower av at the oiler tank (these are hard to find), SP had full floating av.

Last one I'm not sure about... SPs had the 5 degree flywheel, I'm not sure the CP did.

Thanks for that info. Out of excitement i was thinking of trying it on the mill but then remembered it doesn't have side load tanks so i am no longer interested in that. I will first have to see if i can get it going. She's coming apart tonight. Will be interesting as i have never worked on a mac before. I have a paint called holland yellow and it almost matches the original paint so if it runs she may even get a nice paint job.

Big Macs

Still learning, so I apologize if I broke protocol ........

I have a well used 450 w/24 in .404 bar/chain.
Also, a Super 44, same bar/chain. Decent condition.
Both ran in 2000, have hung on hook since. Haven't tried to start them.
They need good homes and loving owners. PM me.

Again, I am sorry if I have broke appropriate protocol. :bang:
Thanks

CP didn't have a boost port, SP did.

I believe the CP has the same ignition timing as the 797/S797. I saw a technical bulletin somewhere stating that you could retrofit
the CP with the 797 flywheel if needed.
Some of the early replacement CP blocks from the factory had the boost ports cast in them. These are the blocks that have no
part number or series number stamped into them on the bottom.

Sounds right Jacob. I had a CP engine here I passed to Lee and couldn't remember what flywheel was on it. The 797, Super 797 and the rest are all identical. The SPs and the stamped 5 deg. kart ones are different.

All of these will pull a 36" bar of course some better than others.

Photo0700_zpseafb7391.jpg

Back