What model of STIHL is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Lightning, just like it says. Bigger brother to the Contra and was the original 090, I think.

Almost 45 years old. I'm surprised Stihl doesn't know anything about this one, it's part of their heritage.

Turns out it's the same thing as the Contra for a different market area. Morphed into the 070 some time in the '60s. 106cc.

The Contra was issued in 1959 to be shiped overseas and simultaneously issued in North America as the Red Lightning. Stihl also made a Contra Lightning GS that was a gear drive . 200,000 Contras were built by the second year of production.
John

I had a Lightning not to long ago. I beleive it was more closely related to the 070 then the 090? Anyone got any Stihl S10 parts laying around?

Lotsa S-10s come up on eBay--more than you'd think. They're usually sold as "510" and have 08S bar covers on them.

Hey John, I picked up this S10 at a tag sale, It's near mint and for $20 I wasn't about to ask if he'd take $15. It is missing the choke lever that pokes through the rear housing otherwise it's sweet. I'll keep any eye out for those parts, thanks.

Latest posts

Back