What mph wind gusts do you go home in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am wrapping up a tract of timber. I was greeted by the boss today as he hiked in and pulled me from work. I got one of those "Do you not realize there are 30 mph winds today...and you are cutting by yourself???", talks today. The way I see it, the skidder op didn't show (in jail), the timber needed cut because we are moving in the next day or so. Yes, the wind was wicked and really starting to stress me out. I was on a ridge that bordered a large pasture so I was getting alot of whip from the wind. I had already cut all the timber in the hollow and couldn't really get away from the wind.

I told him I was just trying to get done and get a paycheck...didn't want to go home early. He said, "Well crap...I will pay you a full day wages if that is what it is...I don't really feel like calling your wife and telling her you got hurt cutting in wind!" I appreciate his concern, he's a pretty good dude. So I packed up and shagged to the house.

Ya know, sometimes I get carried away with being an "over-achiever", I really like working for these guys and was trying to get a days work in despite the conditions. I just want to do well for them.

So, when do you guys call it quits? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I don't pay much attention to wind speed but I watch how the wind affects the tree. I usually quit when it gets bad enough that the wind is controlling the tree. Sometimes I'll cut when it's windy if the wind is with the lead but if I start losing trees and crossing the lead I'll call it a day.

Some of the closest calls I've had were when I was cutting in too much wind.

If its a strait wind i dont worry much but when it starts changeing directions im gone. Doing residential in done at twenty when i have to take big tops ive seen pine tops catch the wind and blow twenty feet the wrong way. Makes you pucker a little!

Pretty much what Bob said. It gets to a point where all you're doing is being unproductive or making a mess.

Sounds like you have a good boss, I usually get the "Where the #### do you think you're going? That ain't wind, back in the 70's when I was sawing, now that was wind!"

Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh, enough.

Pretty much what Bob said. It gets to a point where all you're doing is being unproductive or making a mess.

Sounds like you have a good boss, I usually get the "Where the #### do you think you're going? That ain't wind, back in the 70's when I was sawing, now that was wind!"

Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh, enough.

LOL...I've worked for a few guys like that. Usually not for very long, though.

Guess it depends on the timber and the woods. If Im trying to avoid smashing new growth and need to be pretty damn precise, or if there is a lot of half uprooted trees from prior storms, things like that make a difference. Like someone else said, straight line winds not so bad. With unpredictable gusts, things get dicey. And if the weathers been bad and I need to get a paycheck. That shouldn't enter into it but it does.

Sorry for the delay on replying back...gett'n my son's race quad ready for this weekend.

I prolly stayed too long, but I just wanted to get finished. I actually had swirling winds ripping by...the kinds when the tree sets back on your bar you just get ready and hammer down when the tree blows the other way. I think the worst of the problem was generated by that field, I'm pretty used to cutting in windy situations but this ridge was creating turbulance (sp). It was not a good situation, not to mention the amount of oak bore damaged timber with shot tops. I just tried to time my drops between gusts but you know how that goes :msp_rolleyes:.

I actually wandered up on an unexpecting "Tom" turkey taking a nap in a top from the other day...that just don't happen in such close range with out there being something to dull a turkeys senses...hence the wind.

Well thanks guys!

If the tops are moving more then a few feet, I leave... If its near a house I.E. "danger" trees then it had better be clear and calm, unless we're chunking it down, even then...

With the wonderful Puget Sound next door, the Cascades at my back, and foot hills all around, wind can be very tricky around here, it has a trend to one direction but that just means its mostly from the north,northwest. Get random gusts at all times too...

Well I walked away today I was only cutting for firewood so nothing big but the tops were starting to do the Argentine tango with each other that coupled with the snow falling I gave up .......

Oh if anyone knows of a welder let me know ........I came across two brass monkeys today that require that service ........it minus 5 with wind chill (23F)

Thats pretty funny...I was lmao yesterday when you said they would loose their "bits"! :D

When branches start falling I stop.

Yep, we still have "hangers" from the '09 ice storm that devistated alot of our timber in my region...pretty scary actually, those are the ones that get ya just cruisin' around to the next trees all unexpected like!

When the wind is gusting in the 30s or steady in the 20s its time to call it. Depends on the lay and woods though of course. It seems like I've had about a dozen calm days in the last 6 months. Actually I like a little wind. Helps things move around. On dead calm days its pretty easy to hang stuff up in a select cut.

Latest posts

Back