What new saw models would you like to see made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
They make some good saws nowadays but I would still like to see a more modern motor design in a new saw line,say 70cc,85cc and 100cc. I'm thinking of a 100cc motor with 4 nice transfer ports like a 385,crankcase reed valves,an HT carb(From the 084),and removable head. I think today's saws would benefit greatly from a modern reed valve design.
How about it Husky,a 399XPR(Reed valve)? :clap:

Any ideas what you would like to see the manufacturers make in a new saw line?

A 3101xp 100cc with four transfer ports with low weight, and will run about 13,000rpm. And another 85cc saw like the 385 again low weight, smooth and easy to handle and 13,500rpm tuning. Both with lots of torque behind them as well...a broad powerband for limbing and stump power.

2 Dolmars I think would fill roles left empty...

1. A killer 20" saw. 6400 obviously does this, but it's on the heavy side and over powered. 5105 doe it, but is on the low hp side. I'm thinking 4.2hp and 12lbs.

2. 9010 killed by EPA. Why not an OEM big bore? Get a 90cc on it...surely this would not be a big deal to deliver

I'm not promoting any particular brand,most have become pretty good,and have made a lot of advances so I don't find much lacking in them,just I think that modern(Crankcase) reed valve designs are long overdue.
They would provide a big increase in low and midrange power and handle bigger carbs without adverse affects,and result in longer piston and cylinder life by not having an intake port in the cylinder. Also the absence of an intake port provides more room for transfer ports.
i know the factories have stuck with the piston port design because it's mechanically simple and cheaper to make.
The reason I'm so fond of my old 275 Canadian is that it has a removable head and 6 transfer ports!
Why don't they make effective dual exit mufflers like we ourselves make,they don't have to be loud. They could also improve the rather mild port timing,considering the rpms saws turn now.
They've done a good job of making them lighter,better clutches and oilers,simple ignitions and other innovations.
A modern 038,I like that idea,one of my favorite saws for reliability.
Wouldn't it be nice to see a North American company build some great new saws...:chainsaw:
Homelite,Pioneer and McCulloch used to be the kings of the woods.

I have said it many times before one of the best ever built, and never should have discontinued it. I agree with all who said 100cc.

Perhaps a modern-day Stihl 064. It could utilize the same case as a 660... but lighter weight, and slim profile as the 064 was to the 066. Not a clone 660 with smaller displacement as the MS650 was.

6ci/100cc version of a McCulloch PM850 with a good digital ignition and a larger fuel tank.

Here's what a PM850 does (in RandyMac's hands) with 5.01ci/82cc...

redfir.jpg

I'd like to see an autotune version of the 362. I'd also like to see a 90-100cc strato from ECHO that would finally make folks take them seriously. It would be nice if Husqvarna would pop out a few 555/562 saws in GREEN just to keep the Poulan name alive. That would be an instant collectors item.

I'd like to see an autotune version of the 362. I'd also like to see a 90-100cc strato from ECHO that would finally make folks take them seriously. It would be nice if Husqvarna would pop out a few 555/562 saws in GREEN just to keep the Poulan name alive. That would be an instant collectors item.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make my own choice here, but I must say, I 100% agree with your wish list.

Especially if a consortium could actually buy Poulan, make them an independent company, and immediately can all the top management and start from scratch, make a REAL USA saw again. In ONE grade, the best they can make. You have your choice of sizes, that's it.

A more modern saw to me would have a LOT more use of exotic materials, alloys and fine ceramics, and they need to be fuel and oil injected.

Pioneer P series

I'd like to see Pioneer P series made again P-41 to P-61, nice design with the horizontal cylinder, good weight, nice balance and lots of power.

Back