What OLD diesel to look for...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlr8

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for a Pre 2000 Diesel.

Chevy-I can find.. 6.5 Detroit is what Im talking of.

Dodge-Id LOVE a 5.9 Cummins..

Ford- Not to fond of the ford brand...

basically Im asking for advice on looking into a chevy or dodge diesel. Is the 6.5 something I want?

Even with an adjustable style BOV and a relocated PMD is it worth the hassle???

Looking for a Pre 2000 Diesel.

Chevy-I can find.. 6.5 Detroit is what Im talking of.

Dodge-Id LOVE a 5.9 Cummins..

Ford- Not to fond of the ford brand...

basically Im asking for advice on looking into a chevy or dodge diesel. Is the 6.5 something I want?

Even with an adjustable style BOV and a relocated PMD is it worth the hassle???

Man.... You and I must be working on the same wavelength. I'm looking for a diesel to repower my landcruiser right now. There is a pile of controversy over the good vs bad 6.2-6.5 Chevy diesels, but I'm leaning towards that also. A 5.9, a huge fav of mine, is too heavy for my application and its little brother, the 4bt is expensive. I also hate ford diesels.

The reliability of the Chevys is usually in question over 200k miles. Some years were considered great while others were straight up avoiders. The other neg is lower power than the other two brands. I have also looked into the Isuzu power pants used in the cab over trucks. There is a good bit of promise there if your application allows. What are you powering?

Personally, I loved the old 6.2s.. If you found a pump shop that new the tricks on the old stanadyne pumps, they could be a real powerhouse, and still offer damn good mileage. Granted, not up to cummins levels, but for a lot less. Anymore, I'd go for a higher mileage good block.. The weaker ones would've self destructed by now. Look for former military engines. They updated the humvees and took out perfectly running 6.2s.. I'd avoid the 6.5s personally, and even though throwing a banks turbo kit on them really wakes them up, I never did it myself on and of the 6.2s I've owned in the past. The bottom ends really can't take it.
Chug along with your smoky, 20+mpg 6.2 and be content with it. Just keep oil in it, and go for it.

The International (Ford) 6.9/7.3s, while absolutely bulletproof engines, are smoky, underpowered, heavy pigs of motors in my opinion... Great for farm use, but never was impressed with them on the road, and their fuel economy was never spectacular..

For full disclosure, I have owned several 6.2 powered trucks (including a tow truck that was worked very hard), even more 6.9/7.3 IDI fords (All in tow vehicles), and am currently driving a 97 ram cummins 12 valve.. Plus was a mechanic in the army on humvees...

You'll consider a 6.2/6.5 but the 6.9/7.3 IDI and the 7.3 PSD is out? What am I missing?

I should have just said I hate Fords.

Echo shawn summed up my thoughts almost exactly! Thanks for the 6.2 thoughts.

Looking to buy a Truck with a diesel powerplant.. ya know and in the summer do a little 70/ 30 or 60/40 blend of diesel to very well filtered veggie oil.

Im looking at a 95 1500 Z71 with an aftermarket Blow off valve, and the PDM has been relocated. Its got 140k miles, and well.. I like the idea of 20+mpg highway.

I wouldnt mind throwing in a chip, cold air intake, and injectors!!! BUT

I want to know if the danged thing is gonna be safe for the 10 minute, 7 mile drive to school and back.. daily?

Hes asking over 2k, but if I can get him under 2500 Id take it.

Itll need some lovin.. I may post the ad here if that is allowed.. :)

I drive a 98 F150 currently and it just busted 209000 Miles. the thing dropped the trans at 125k and the 4wd SUCKS! I hate that little 4.6l engine, its like the little XL12 of trucks. Underpoowered and heavy. The thing gets 10 MPG on a GOOD DAy! and at $85 per tank. that is killing my wallet. Im a 17 year old kid. (Dont think im a throttle smashing gearhead. I know how to respect an engine...)

THATS why im ruling out the fords. And yes.. mostly looking for 6.2/ 6.5 Diesel advice... Sorry ford lovers..

Looking to buy a Truck with a diesel powerplant.. ya know and in the summer do a little 70/ 30 or 60/40 blend of diesel to very well filtered veggie oil.

Im looking at a 95 1500 Z71 with an aftermarket Blow off valve, and the PDM has been relocated. Its got 140k miles, and well.. I like the idea of 20+mpg highway.

I want to know if the danged thing is gonna be safe for the 10 minute, 7 mile drive to school and back.. daily?

That sounds decent. I almost bought a rusted out k5 military blazer with 17k original miles on it. Would have been a fantastic swap for my truck, but he wanted 2k for it and I didn't have it in the surplus fund...lol.

Ads are allowed (as far as I know... moderator input here??

I was never impressed with the 6.5 turbos and their electronic pumps..
I'm a big mechanical diesel fan.. easy to work on, etc..
The 6.5 could easily be outrun/outpulled/outworked by a well tuned, 6.2n/a...
It was really a poor attempt at trying to catch back up with the 7.3PS and dodge cummins.. Should've just waited til the 6.6 Duramax was ready IMO... But, thats a different story...

I have a 91 2500 Dodge 4x4 with the 5.9 cummins and 5spd manual that I paid $1000 for and I love it. I get around 18-20 mpg and it pulls my 863 Bobcat on a heavy trailer with ease. It has 170k on it and I see no reason I cant get another 200k out of it with good maintenance. Just keep your eyes open and you will find one for a good deal.

Ads are allowed (as far as I know... moderator input here??

I was never impressed with the 6.5 turbos and their electronic pumps..
I'm a big mechanical diesel fan.. easy to work on, etc..
The 6.5 could easily be outrun/outpulled/outworked by a well tuned, 6.2n/a...
It was really a poor attempt at trying to catch back up with the 7.3PS and dodge cummins.. Should've just waited til the 6.6 Duramax was ready IMO... But, thats a different story...

The other bonus is the proven alternative fuel results from the 6.2.

I actually drive an old Benz and make my own biodiesel. I work on a lot of vw diesels and get into a few cummins trucks. I agree withy the mechanical vs electronic. Nothing but trouble sometimes with the electronics, but chips are nice:)

My uncle has been a 6.2 fan since the beginning and was pushing me in that direction. Easy to find parts, low maintinence costs, and for me... Low cost adaptors as they bolt up to the small block trans.

If you want to do straight veggie blend, the older the truck the better. I don't personally like straight veggie as it gums up rings. Bio has its downsides, but not like sticky frenchfry oil. Expect to get less than 100k miles out of your engine after you start to run that through it. At the same time, if oil is free, it is a pretty quick break even.
I have a friend that pulls his race car trailer with a veggie powered 6.5 dually. He loves it.

I love the 5.9 Cummins, but I can take or leave the trucks they come in, my experience has been with the 12v engines only. Dirt simple, efficient and great power/torque. I owned a '97 K3500 crew cab long box with the 6.5, and it was a good work truck. Keep any eye on the harmonic balancer and injectors and they will last. For daily driving and long road trips the truck was great (19mpg), put a trailer behind it (10-12mpg) and you wished it was a Dodge.

.....also the '97 and up 6.5 powered trucks have an improved cooling system, even with this upgrade I still had to keep a close eye on the temperature gauge when pulling long grades.

I think I will look at this truck. I May throw some EGT guages in it.. and see what SS diesel has for cooling upgrades. where should the PMD be relocated to?? And lastly.. How good did the 6.5 TD and the 1500 chassis work together?

1st gen Dodge would be my first pick in the older trucks. A 7.3 powerstroke will have more power and comparable mileage to the 6.5.

That's a nice looking half ton, I'd drive that all week long. I won't apologize for loving my Fords but I try to be a bit more open minded about the situation. Chevys and Dodges have been good to me over the years. Its gotta be a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC, International.....my open mindedness ends at the foreign trucks. Wanting a diesel is the icing on the cake, good luck with your quest.:cheers:

Any 96-98 cummins, has the p7100 pump on it, which is great.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Any 96-98 cummins, has the p7100 pump on it, which is great.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

It take a 3/4ton chevy with a 5.9 cummins swap 6" lift, and a nice 4" exhaust.

Sad thing is, most people here can buy a DANG nice gasser truck for the price of a 5.9 cummins engine and trans...

I am wondering if I should just drop the idea of a truck, and get a gas sipper.. I dont want to.. but it may be more cost effective...

Latest posts

Back