What one wood do you have more than any other in next years wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too many listing any undesirable wood. Mine is 1/2 ash and the rest is a mix of maple, apple,elm, locust, boxelder(yuk),oak,locust,and I think there's some cedar in there too, maybe some other junk mixed in also, can't remember.

Next year will be heavily red oak, but most years its a smorgasborg. Red oak and elm are an even split for dominant species this year.

SILVER MAPLE:biggrinbounce2: it grows like a weed around here, and everybody seems to throw it away. Since I can't turn free heat down I grab it. Have plenty of other species too, but silver maple seems to just find me somehow. I have two going on three silver maples in my yard that woodpeckers have destroyed, so the flow of silver maple seems endless.

Pretty even between red oak and tulip poplar ( due to some poplar thinning last year ), then a smorgasborg of local trees making up the rest ( sourwood,red maple, black locust, sweet birch, Fraser magnolia, black cherry, beech, walnut, hickory, sugar maple and some one-offs )

I think Maple, but Cherry and Ash are right behind it. Every Maple tree in my forest that is older than 50 years or so is either dead or almost dead. Gotta lot of work to do.

wait... you guys cut next years wood now?!?!??! @@ lol. I won't cut any of it til about the middle of may next year. and it'll be hedge and ash, thats it. And i'd just as soon burn the hedge GREEN so part of it will get cut in december (like this last weekend when i cut some)

BTW I helped cut about 100 cord worth of bur oak tree's down a while back with 2 buddies. 42" bar on a 660 didn't get the job done on one, wound up using a tractor to finish her off. so i might get some of that, but i doubt it, hedge is closer to the house and burns hotter

Next year's supply depends on how cold it is this winter! :laugh: Right now I have more hickory than anything.

Speaking of, it's time to load the OWB. I'll try to only throw 3 splits of hickory in tonight to conserve it for next season. ;)

Back