What PPE do you use and why ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synness4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just wondering what you guys use ,what made you decide to use it and has it saved your bacon? the pic of a guy that open his leg with a 026 made me buy chaps and i liked the looks of the stihl helmet face shield earmuffs........

always wear a helmet when falling!!! other than that I really slack off in that department. (does a can coozie count???)

:jawdrop:i wear steel toed boots helmet system and sometimes chaps
my old pair of steel toed boots saved my right foot, saw kicked back and cut through the leater and hit the steel cap, fried the chain tho
cut through a pair of my jeans on my left thihg but didnt get hurt thats why i wear chaps now

Chaps, and ear plugs/muffs. Always have my glasses on because I cant see. Lookin into the helmet/muffs/face shield. Need to get some steel toed, but cant find any comfortable ones.
Wear the chaps because they have saved me once already, and ear protection because all the saws but one are muffler modded.

oh yeah I forgot the steel toed boots I have a pair of carheart steel toes and a pair of redwings always gloves and long sleeves ............... I took a hard hit on top of my hard hat/ helmet today I'm sure It wood have needed stitches if my head was bear and I have 4 or 5 pair of jeans /w cuts from saws!! to close

I always wear steel toes, full chaps, eye protection, helmet and especially ear protection.

It may seem like overkill but I wear ear buds along with over the ear protection. Its the one system of PPE that I use in mowing, rock crawlin' or basically anything loud.

I have a father in law that is career air force pilot who can't really hear much due to years around jet engines. Especially the higher frequencies like a woman's voice... or at least that's the story he's running with! :clap:

I've always worn gloves and sometimes ear muffs. I was kind of stupid about helmet and eye protection, but became a believer after reading the horror stories on this site. I bought a Stihl helmet/visor/muff setup and find it is great. The hardest adjustment is remembering to raise the visor before spitting and then to lower it before cutting. Chaps are next.

Ppe

I had not really used a saw for twenty years before I found this site and was researching saws and found out about chaps etc. I bought chaps BEFORE I got the saw after watching videos of hams etc being destroyed. I have been wearing Thorgood boots, Made in USA for years and hearing protection also safety glasses. IMHO any one doesn't't think an accident can happen to them just ask my friend Billy, Oh thats right he,s DEAD!! 6in dia. limb from 12 feet NO Helmet!! It was in the garage PPE ALL the time!!

Aren't all the helmet systems the same? The poster mentions that he liked the stihl helmet. I kind of figured they were the same (stihl, dolmar, husky, echo, etc...) Also, which brand are the best chaps?

Chaps, hard hat with mesh face shield and earmuffs, and boots. I wear the chainsaw safety boots, steel toe and kevlar lining. They are all worth it. I've seen them all work to prevent serious injury. Also always have a first aid kit handy, 1 in the truck and 1 on each 4 wheeler. BTW, Labonville has the boots!!
I do sometimes wear gloves, not always, just have never been a big fan of gloves for most of the things I do.

Scott

i very rarely crank up the saw without chaps, ear plugs, and safety glasses. only time i won't is if im cutting up a small limb while camping or something. and if i've had a beer or two, at least the chaps usually go on...safety first!
i do need to look into a hard hat for the little bit of felling that i do...

Aren't all the helmet systems the same? The poster mentions that he liked the stihl helmet. I kind of figured they were the same (stihl, dolmar, husky, echo, etc...) Also, which brand are the best chaps?

I meant to say I like the helmet, face screen , ear muffs all in one I've only used the stihl sorry for the confusion

Latest posts

Back