What rope to you prefer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't necessarily need knots to ascend and descend a rope.

If it's rated to pull trucks out of ditches, it would seem certain, whether or not it's 'rated' (recommended?) for climbing, I would assume, but with great certainty, that it could handle any normal climbing force a climber could throw at it.

I'd definitely take it for a spin, not that I'd recommend anyone else do, but again, why not?

I do see the point that you make and maybe it is worth looking into for a climb line... Maybe some one can get ahold of one of there reps and see what they can come up with.
It costs a lot more then even the priciest of arbor ropes though.

I dont see anything other than lack of actual testing and the extra price, that would say it cant be climbed with.

Price is the big factor. I would love to be a guinea pig on this one.

We should deluge the Sampson headquarters with e-mail requests for them to kick down a 200' Amsteel for the Tree Machine.

Yea, that's gonna happen.

(ps Our rep's name is Stacy MacFarlane)

( [email protected] )

;)

TM, why would you want to climb on 100% full static, 3% stretch at break point, soft, 12 strand hollow braid? You'd be loading it to 0.5% of its rated tensile, if you're a 180 lb'er..... And, at full retail of over $3.00 a foot, just a tad pricey, non? Plus, with a full static line, like that, you'd not want to ever drop onto it even the slightest bit, as it has zero energy absorption characteristics. I have 600 feet of spectra, same as amsteel, not the blue...plenty strong for the applications I use it for...suspending whole trees, pulling, guying....but never shock loading. Came in handy during our recent storms.

I just tonight broke open a package containing 600 feet of Blaze, spliced by NickfromWi into 180, 200, and 220 foot hanks, for me and my buds........plus two adjustable friction savers, a nice stiff bridge for my B'fly, and an eye and eye prussic...oh yeah!!

Bishop has great prices on Blaze 600 foot reels! this is my first 11mm life
line...took me long enough! I do have some 3/8th KM 3 static access line..

Last edited:
It's plain and simple,but my favorite is still Samson's arbor plex.It holds friction knots well,and when I'm foot locking,I can get a better grip on it with my feet that I can anything else

I dislike Arborplex..will only use it for light rigging, and only buy it cause I used to be able to get it for ~$230/600 ft...and only if I have no old lifelines to retire to light rigging lines. It's handling characteristics are lousy compared to all other lifelines...too stiff and will take on some sqwiggly set sometimes.

Lifeines of choice are Samson Arbormaster, XTC, NE ropes 16 strand...and just got some 11mm Blaze, excited to use that nice light line!

TM, why would you want to climb on 100% full static, 3% stretch at break point, soft, 12 strand hollow braid? You'd be loading it to 0.5% of its rated tensile, if you're a 180 lb'er..... And, at full retail of over $3.00 a foot, just a tad pricey, non? Plus, with a full static line, like that, you'd not want to ever drop onto it even the slightest bit, as it has zero energy absorption characteristics.
Why.... because it'll hold me. Because I like static (over dynamic OR semi-static). But probably it's just ego. Probably like every other climber out there me thinks me is a hot shot.

...because I've tried every rope, already, that is out there.

Just willing to try it for the sake of trying it. 6 months as primary lifeline is a 'try'.

Explore the outer reaches of ropedom, abseil where no man has rappelled before, livin' a lifeline lifetime.

Yup, definitely ego. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: .

rb said:
I just tonight broke open a package containing 600 feet of Blaze, spliced by NickfromWi into 180, 200, and 220 foot hanks, for me and my buds........
Joy. I don't know what more to say about that.

Bishop has great prices on Blaze 600 foot reels! this is my first 11mm life
line...took me long enough!
You, wha...huh??? NO WAY !

Roger, you're a living legend around these part (AS) and you 're the best by far out in your region. You guys do daily what most of us riggers would consider 'extreme'. You've brought us pictures now for 4 or 5 years and have taught us more than any other Arboristsite member, YOU, of all people, have never climbed on 11 mm:jawdrop:

You are like the Grand Poobah of access and rigging, the illustrious magistrate of speedlining and the big dawg of big wood....

yet, the entire Arboristsite membership gets to hold your hand and walk you through the doors and into the world of 11 mm.

This could be the greatest irony known to man. :cheers:

I dislike Arborplex..will only use it for light rigging, and only buy it cause I used to be able to get it for ~$230/600 ft...and only if I have no old lifelines to retire to light rigging lines. It's handling characteristics are lousy compared to all other lifelines...too stiff and will take on some sqwiggly set sometimes.

Lifeines of choice are Samson Arbormaster, XTC, NE ropes 16 strand...and just got some 11mm Blaze, excited to use that nice light line!

I just got 150 ft.of the XTC,and I'm liking it so far.I have yet to do any footlocking on it though.I'll have to wait until it gets a little more broken in.

rope

In a nutshell stay with a name you can trust samson
or equivalent and you cant go wrong I still remember using manilla;
use hi v now after having arborplex cut by ground pounder.

That stunk; also this line seems to weaken faster than my present
choice ! Its cheaper I wont argue there, and I still use as hand line
and sometimes at my farm I will circle brush tie a bowline hook to
tractor cinch a bunch up and cut around in this circle to keep
briers at bay "nasty little devils", but only when to big to hog !!!!!:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Back