What' s your favorite hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scubadude1188

scubadude1188

ArboristSite Lurker
How is it climbing with a saw on your leg opposed to the hip. I've always thought it would be awkward for climbing so I've never tried it. What do yall think?

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have been very happy with my Sugoi. A friend told me that wesspur has them on sale for $45. Too good to not buy a second one... Then I saw they also had the Ibuki for $49. Too good to not give that a try too.

The Ibuki looks like it is very similar to the Sugoi except it has no hook on the end, and slightly finer teeth. I don't see the point of the hook on the sugoi - doesn't bother me, but I don't use it either. I'll try to remember to report back about the Ibuki.

treeshot

treeshot

ArboristSite Lurker
:deadhorse:greenchainsaw: I have been using the ibuki for 3 years now and am amazed at how well it cuts and lets you leave chainsaw on ground even with good size branches,ibuki is supposed to be jappaannese for big AXE> I love mine!

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
18" Fiskars. I got it at Walmart, and the price is right. They also make a dandy 10" folding saw for about $15 that works well too. I have never bought any of the Japanes saws, so I can't make a comparison.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryId=10263&productId=10516&page=products

It cuts very nicely, and it never gums up with sawdust & sap like the triangular teeth can. Good curvature, so it digs in pretty firmly on each pull. It is harmless on the push stroke. The teeth are cut circular, and you can sharpen anytime you want with the same round file you sharpen your trimming saw with. I think the ability to keep it sharp is more important than how sharp it is when you buy it.

It will take out your average 2" branch in about 4-6 pulls. It is a little aggressive on 1/2" branches, so you don't want to press too hard on it in a small cut.

Last edited:
DK_stihl

DK_stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Leg scabbard

How is it climbing with a saw on your leg opposed to the hip. I've always thought it would be awkward for climbing so I've never tried it. What do yall think?

It works, but you have to make sure that the straps are tight. Otherwise, the tip of the handle will hit you in the bottom of the thigh. That gets annoying. I now use a sawpod to hod my sugoi.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sugoi

It works, but you have to make sure that the straps are tight. Otherwise, the tip of the handle will hit you in the bottom of the thigh. That gets annoying. I now use a sawpod to hod my sugoi.

X2

It is a little cumbersome for me to climb with it on my leg. I went the keychain carabiner attached to my hip route as well. I have been using the Sugoi for about two years now and it is a great saw but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the smaller Zubat saw. Seems like the Zubat would just be the perfect size. I believe the Brits are making a custom sheath for it to be worn on the leg if one wants.

Just my .02. Congrats on your purchase. I think you will find that it will save you a lot of energy in the tree.

DK_stihl

DK_stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Custom sheath

X2

It is a little cumbersome for me to climb with it on my leg. I went the keychain carabiner attached to my hip route as well. I have been using the Sugoi for about two years now and it is a great saw but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the smaller Zubat saw. Seems like the Zubat would just be the perfect size. I believe the Brits are making a custom sheath for it to be worn on the leg if one wants.

Just my .02. Congrats on your purchase. I think you will find that it will save you a lot of energy in the tree.

The sawpod is british. Is that what you are talking about?

Latest posts