What saws do my fellow wood cutters have??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I currently have about 70 saws, I categorize them as either,

1. Collector saws alot of old poulans, some homelites,pioneers, anything old and cool

2. Millers, they power my sawmill, stihl 070, 084, cs800p,

3. Firewood cutters, stuff like ms271,460rancher, 545, 440mag, 346xp,038, 3400, S25DA and the likes thereof

I myself am saw selective. I only buy and or collect certain models of saws. I don't want 400 saws lined up or a pile over there and there and out back. To me that's worthless, ridiculous. I like to run each and every saw I own so I keep it small. I've only got around 30-35 saws total but it's quality not quantity that's important to me.

I tear down nearly each and every saw I get and make new gaskets to rebuild them, freshen them up and replace seals to have like new old saws that are leak free I can run and use. I clean them up good before they go back on the shelf to preserve them best I can. None have sustained any damage or even really a scratch on them from cutting wood except maybe underneath from moving around on the ground.

The bar gets the most wear and tear which still isn't bad. That's how I enjoy my saw collecting hobby myself. I like to feel how each saw runs in the cut, how they handle. Gives me a sense of old days of loggers lugging these beasts around all day with the weight of them. Some of these Weigh over 50 pounds so that's something to lug through the woods.

You carry a Mac 77 around awhile you will feel it. But there isn't anything it won't handle. I've got a 36" Roller nose wearing 9/16 chipper I cut with on that saw. 120cc gear drives don't stutter or pinch in the cut but will shoot back out and hurt you if not careful if you do get in a bind. Luckily that's never happened with me as of yet. I always have extra bar sticking through the log as not to have any kickback.

The old gear drives I love running I just have to find timber big enough to take advantage of the saw. But when I do it's a real pleasure to run that saw. It cuts with ease and spits out a huge pile of chips on the ground in a hurry piled up at your feet. The smell of two stroke burning with the echo of the saw in the woods makes it all worth lugging that heavy bastard around. You can hear me running from a long ways when I'm using that 77 or 73 in the woods. Even the 4-30A gets a good workout. It's 87cc gear drive and it ain't no slouch it can handle big lots as well. Anyway I'll end it there I can go on and on about saws they are my main hobby these days . Very enjoyable hobby indeed but gotta run them too...

e816f14451a88c84447d677c3d11728b.jpg
eb542290b11609fa9fff3f02c2d85d5e.jpg
ad2f8f5cfc94518fbdb4fbfbeb94992e.jpg
88759bbde0aefbae448545b476afa4e3.jpg
922578eab97662ffd0a5bb759e6b7189.jpg
656b3d99c07f84c8472c549e349ee61e.jpg

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Everyone thinks im crazy for having that many saws, I always tell em, its better than sitting on a bar stool wasting money.
I got started cutting with my uncle on our old farm. Sadly, he passed and the farm was sold. I love cutting so I'm always looking for somebody to help. Friends think I'm crazy too but I just love being in the woods and running saws. Keeps me feeling a little younger too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I love cutting firewood, as well as milling slabs. I cut every weekend for about a year when I moved into the country, so I have so much stockpiled I don't need anymore for myself for quite some time. But anytime dad or friends need to cut I'm there, even though it's hard work its thereputic for me.

Plus anything to keep buying propane down I'm all for.

Ya i love mine. I did opened the muffler and its whole new saw.
Only complaint i have is the clutchs on the echos seem a little week. My inlaw has a 670 and says the same thing.
But with a nice sharp chain it realy dont make much differance.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
My ported 590 will slip the clutch now and then. Usually just some bar oil got in the clutch drumb. I check it now and then and haven't had it slip in awhile.

I got started cutting with my uncle on our old farm. Sadly, he passed and the farm was sold. I love cutting so I'm always looking for somebody to help. Friends think I'm crazy too but I just love being in the woods and running saws. Keeps me feeling a little younger too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Im hearing you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most common? Hmmm - toss-up between older Homelites and newer Stihls. I have an MS361 that's never seen wood - I got it only because I heard they were going to stop making them (and they did) - and that they cured cancer just by looking at them. A fair number of Poulans of differing colors. A few Macs from the days they were great saws. Three Chinese-copy Stihl kit saws (those are FUN to build)

When a good project saw comes across my path, I am an equal opportunity fixer.
Where do you get those Chinese kit saws?
I'm assuming ebay...

Sent from my G3125 using Tapatalk

Where do you get those Chinese kit saws?
I'm assuming ebay...

Sent from my G3125 using Tapatalk

Nope - Huztl is where I got mine. http://www.huztl.net For Stihl clone kits, look under "Stihl parts". You might want to do some reading on this site first. I am reading that their customer service has gone a bit south lately. Also, the kit prices are pretty reasonable, but be prepared for a pretty hefty shipping charge.

Latest posts

Back