What should a Dealer do to a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A few days ago I bought a new 346xp OE at the local Stihl/Husqvarna Dealer(they sale both)
I didn't bargain on the price or ask for extras. Paid what they were asking after looking 5 minutes.
They put the bar and chain on it, put a couple ounces of bar oil in it, half pint of fuel in it, cranked it, reved it twice just above idle, cut it off, handed the saw and the owners manual/tool bag to me and said "there you go".

I asked " Are you going to check the carb setting and RPM's ?
He said " No, its all set at the factory.

I asked " Will it need checking after it's broke in?
He said "No, it's adjusted to be right permanently from the factory, no need to bring it back.

I took the saw, said thanks and left.

Is this all most dealers do to a new saw these days?

I walked away thinking I might as well mail order the 395xp I plan on getting and save $250.00

Yea, that's pretty much it. At least they made sure it ran. The EPA carbs limit the adjustment range. I just bought a MS361 and all he did was make sure H was full rich. He claims that there's no need to fine tune beyond the factory setting unless your at high altitude.

This is my typical run through.
Check chain tension and make sure no one messed with it while on shelf.
Put in fluids.
Start up and run for at least a minute or two. Make sure chain brake works
Turn off and restart run for another minute or two and shut off.
Return to counter show customer how to re-tension chain if inexperienced and re-tension chain.
If in experienced check to make sure they know the proper oil ratio, and basic run through of operation.
If inexperienced I do a thorough overview of operation, and maintenance and have them start and run the saw before they leave with the saw.
And I tell them all for any reason if they have any question no matter how stupid to just pick up the phone and call or stop in we'll help them out.

Last edited:
As an Echo Dealer, on all equipment except the CS-670 and CS-8000, all carb settings are factory pre-set, we dont mess with them.

Unbox the saw, put on the bar and chain, tension the chain.

Add 1/2 tank of Echo Bar oil.

Add 1/2 tank of 93 Gas, mixed 50:1 with Echo power Blend.

Crank, idle for a minute, rev it a few times, and check for proper oiler function. Basically 1 heat cycle.

Hand it, the manual, warranty info, and Scrench over to the customer. Show them the Kill switch, how to use it, the choke, proper starting procedure, explain the chain brake, and tell them to warm the saw for 1-2 minutes prior to cutting.

fwiw, we very rarely have customers call in questions later, or bring a new saw in burnt up. Most "get it" but there is always that one guy...:bang:

They treat you real nice if you buy a stihl:D Some do more some less. Just that dealers style. When I bought the 361 the guy spent 30 min. with me on chains and bar lengths. Ask me if it was ok to gas it up? did I want there mix or if I brought my own? then spent a couple min. letting it warm up,and put the tach on it. Its all good Its just nice to get a little butt kissing when you drop alot of money Though.

Last edited:
The worse I usually get is someone leaves it choked too long and floods the piss out it. Thank god almost none seize them up, most problems come from someone lending out the saw.

A few days ago I bought a new 346xp OE at the local Stihl/Husqvarna Dealer(they sale both)
I didn't bargain on the price or ask for extras. Paid what they were asking after looking 5 minutes.
They put the bar and chain on it, put a couple ounces of bar oil in it, half pint of fuel in it, cranked it, reved it twice just above idle, cut it off, handed the saw and the owners manual/tool bag to me and said "there you go".

Holy sheep! I got better service buying a used saw from an AS member (thanks again Brad). I would expect no less than what Blood or Red does.....kinda like when I finish a $500 and up (usually way up) repair of a forklift,I don't just tell the customer "I fixed it,there ya go,it's not broken now"
lol
Nice looking saw,happy cuttin'

This is my typical run through.
Check chain tension and make sure no one messed with it while on shelf.
Put in fluids.
Start up and run for at least a minute or two. Make sure chain brake works
Turn off and restart run for another minute or two and shut off.
Return to counter show customer how to re-tension chain if inexperienced and re-tension chain.
If inexperienced check to make sure they know the proper oil ratio, and basic run through of operation.
If inexperienced I do a thorough overview of operation, and maintenance and have them start and run the saw before they leave with the saw.
And I tell them all for any reason if they have any question no matter how stupid to just pick up the phone and call or stop in we'll help them out.

Yep... that's pretty much what we do.
I don't check the rpm by tach, but I listen for anything "not right". We're at sea level so there's no need to adjust the carbs.

Last edited:

I asked " Are you going to check the carb setting and RPM's ?
He said " No, its all set at the factory.

I asked " Will it need checking after it's broke in?
He said "No, it's adjusted to be right permanently from the factory, no need to bring it back.

I took the saw, said thanks and left.

Is this all most dealers do to a new saw these days?

I walked away thinking I might as well mail order the 395xp I plan on getting and save $250.00

Congrats on the new saw! :cheers:

My dealer back home starts the saw, checks rpms and shows me all the little tricks he knows about that particular saw. New saws leave with a full tank of mix and bar oil. He does this with all saws, all sizes and brands (he sells JRed, Husky, Shindaiwa, and Efco). I remember him tuning the 2036 when my dad bought it ~15 years ago and the newer 2054, 2145, 2152 and most recently the 2141. He doesn't allow a saw to leave without it running correctly.

They treat you real nice if you buy a stihl:D Some do more some less. Just that dealers style. When I bought the 361 the guy spent 30 min. with me on chains and bar lengths. Ask me if it was ok to gas it up? did I wanted there mix or if I brought my own? then spent a couple min. letting it warm up,and put the tach on it. Its all good Its just nice to get a little butt kissing when you drop alot of money Though.

I definitely agree with you,and not just because I own a Stihl. When I was looking at chains and PPE,the Stihl dealers where more than happy to spend time with me. I even told them that I had purchased a used saw,didn't faze him a bit. I left that dealer knowing that if I was to ever talk my cheap a$$ into buying a new saw,it will be there. To be unbiased,I will say the local Johnny Red dealer was top notch also.

Saw dealers..............

............are much like any other equipment retailer. Some go the extra mile, some are just happy to make the sale. Good ones will determine newbie/in-experienced new saw owners and go through a little extra to ensure a satisfied sale as well as trying to avoid problems with the saw. Obvious veterans may not get as much hand holding at the sale but then again most vets don't care as they usually know what they came in for.

I don't believe there is much needed from the dealer at time of sale personally; make sure the product is "all there", is in perfect running order and that the new operator knows how to use it/maintain it. That's pretty much it. Others may expect more...........

I've never brought new saws back for adjustment, never saw the need.

I bought a new 345-e in 07, from the local dealer, he put a full tank of gas and bar oil, fired it up, came out and gave it to me and said yup it runs good. Gave me the scrench and manual, also gave me a free bar cover and a Husky ball cap. I said thanks and was on my way.

Did I read here somewhere re the 361 that the dealer is supposed to re-torque the jug after some run-in? Back in '94 they set my 026 rich to break in, then they tach it after 10 tanks, no charge. Fill you up with mix and oil. Not sure if much can be done now beyond the full rich setting. They give full instruction on everything and are freaks for fresh mix,"30 days max!"

Hears the explanition I got from my local Stihl Dealer who visited the Stihl Factory in Germany many years ago. When you get your new saw it has already been test run they hook up a remote fuel line to the carb with a rpm gauge attached & start the engine a pre programed computer with a mechicinal screw driver does the tuning if it doesnt blow up & adjusts its a pass. The the saw is put togather the rest of the way. When you get it there is no gas smell in the tank but a closer inspection of the front of the muffler revels it has in fact been run . Stihl puts a little drop of white paint on each of there mufflers prior to it being run after its been heated up it turns color & has more of a gray color to it. Look closely next time your checkin out new saws. So there you go. The only thing that concerns me is in areas where there is ethanol or gasaholic blends it will not be 100 % in tune because of differances in fuel or altitude & if any thing may be a bit on the lean side if you below 5000 ft.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!

Pfft!!! My non-hairy buns if I'd let that go... I'm on my 3rd saw from the guys at the cutting edge, site sponsors on here. They take the saws out, cut with them for a little bit, then make sure everything is right and give them to the customer. Heck, were it my choice, I'd rather have them cut a few hours with it but I understand they cant' really do all that. When I bought my saws from them, besides them going out and cutting some cookies with them, they let me go out right there and cut some logs with the saws so I could make sure they felt right and I was happy with them BEFORE I bought them. They also show me how to take everything apart, the covers, air filters, chain tensioners, even took me out to show me the same saws they have ripped apart and how it all works. None of this was really necessary but it's nice that they think about you enough to be thoughtful I think... I think you need to find a new dealer bro... If I didn't get a saw with some woodchips in it I'd tell them to send me another one. Heck, I bought it to get scratched and worked, not to sit and look pretty...

:cheers: eh?

I am sorry for your bad experience though...

Latest posts

Back